Cheese Bread

1 package active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar or honey
1 3/4 cups warm water
5 to 6 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup butter
1 to 2 teaspoons tobasco sauce
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese( I use 1 cup)
3/4 cup freshly grated Gruyer or Emmenthaler cheese( I use 1 cup)
Dissolve yeast with sugar in 1/4 cup warm water. Allow to proof for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, mix 5 cups of the flour with the salt and grated cheese. Make a well in the center and add the remaining 1 1/2 cups warm water, butter, tobasco sauce, and yeast mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon or blend with your floured hands until the dough is well blended.(this is the fun part) Turn out onto a heavily floured board(1/2 cup flour or more) and knead for 10 to 12 minutes or until the dough is smooth, elastic and satiny adding flour as needed while kneading. Place dough into well greased bowl and turn to coat all sides. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled,1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Punch down dough and divide into 2 balls. Sprinkle board with additional grated cheese and form dough into loaves with this cheese sticking all over the outside of the loaf. Place into well greased loaf pans. Set in warm place to rise until doubled.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes, remove from pan and put back into the oven for a few minutes to firm the crust.
SecretI often add fresh minced garlic to this bread!
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2004 :  1:35:13 PM  Show Profile
CROCKPOT APPLEBUTTER

7 c. applesauce (or fill your crockpot to the brim w/diced apples)
2 c. apple cider
1 1/2 c. honey
cinnamon
ground cloves (spices to taste 1-2 tsp or more
allspice if you really like something!
nutmeg
grated ginger (optional)

Mix all ingredients and place in crockpot on low and cook 10-12 hrs.
Mixture should be a dark brown, the texture of wet dip or spread.
Pack into clean, sterilized jars and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. Makes 4-6 pints. (You can freeze this if you don't want to can it )

I saw many different recipes and some had sugar, cider vinegar,
cinnamon red hots but there was one that added 21 caramels to the batch, that might be my next attempt! Yum...Caramel Apple Butter!
Enjoy! And thanks Eileen for the Harvest Bread it might be my project this weekend!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Kathy A.
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Kathy
Utah
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2004 :  1:09:43 PM  Show Profile
Hello Everyone, Does anyone have a recipe for Whole Wheat Scones that don't crumble. I would REALLY appreciate it if you would post it. Thanks ~Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2004 :  1:50:19 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, It is in the nature of whole wheat to be crumbly. A couple of things that can help:
The addition of about 1/3 white flour to replace about 1/3 of the whole wheat; The use of whole wheat "Pastry Flour." Perhaps if you would share your recipe I could give some suggestions as to the things that might make a difference. Really good Scones are like pie crust, touchy and desire very little handling after the liquid ingredients are added. Always add your butter ice cold and do not add your liquid unless the dry ingredients are cold so if it has warmed place it in the freezer for a few minutes before adding the liquid and gently shaping your circle and gently cutting your wedges and transfering to the hot baking stone or cookie sheet.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

Kathy A.
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Kathy
Utah
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2004 :  2:40:13 PM  Show Profile
Hello Eileen, Thanks so much for these tips. I'm going to keep trying until I get it right. By the way, I appreciate your very informative and varied posts. Thanks Again ~Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2004 :  09:36:16 AM  Show Profile
This really isnt a recipe, just a really good combo of dishes I came up with. I made a pork roast with pumpkin/chipotle cream sauce, and turnip greens sauteed with garlic on the side.

The roast:
Rub with desired spices, sear in olive oil on all side. Put in crock pot on high for 6 hours or so depending on size.

Sauce:
1 can pumpkin, 1 can chipotle peppers in sauce. 1 cup of milk.
Combine in skillet and heat through, letting it simmer down a little. Can reduce amount of chipotle in it if don't like spicy food.

Side dish:
Saute 3 cloves of garlic in olive oil. I like to use the olive oil in the pan from searing the pork for extra flavor. You can deglaze the pan with a cup of water after heating the pan. Add whole bag, probably 3 cups, choppped turnip greens, cooking just until slightly wilted.

Serve slice of roast pork with sauce dribble on top. Put generous helping of greens on side. You can add rice to this either under the greens or under the pork.

Followup: Put pork bone, chunks of pork and leftover greens in stockpot with a large can of chicken stock and drippings from crockpot. Add other veggies, rice or noodles as desired. Simmer for 15 minutes. Remove pork bone. Now have soup. Save leftover sauce for combining with canned diced tomatoes for a different pasta sauce.

Hope people like this combo, we loved it.

JUlie
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2004 :  10:39:24 AM  Show Profile
Julie this sounds scrumptious!!! Makes me hungry just reading about it!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2004 :  11:42:31 AM  Show Profile
Julie--Strange but true...we had pork roast last night and thanks to you I am now making a stew with the leftovers! I love that pumpkin cream sauce and the idea for a second pasta sauce, thanks! I once had crab ravioli with a pumpkin sauce that I could never figure out what was in it, you may have solved the puzzle! Thanks for the ideas they sound...DELICIOUS!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Dave
Vestal NY
64 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2004 :  12:07:21 PM  Show Profile
Well, the presents are bought and wrapped and it is time to load up the car and head to my parents for Christmas Eve dinner, then to my fiance's for Christmas. I have a recipe to offer that is always a hit, although it is probably not new to some of you, but perhaps not all. Jalapeno Roll Ups: soft flour tortilla shells, 1 block of softened cream cheese, 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, 1 bunch of chopped green onions, 3 cloves of minced garlic and a package of cilantro that needs to be washed and chopped fine. Mix all in a large bowl, then spread the mix on the tortilla shells, sprinkle chopped pickled jalapenos on top, roll & chill. Slice just before serving. These are cold and creamy and very sneaky also (smile), three will make my forhead start to perspire. Merry Christmas, everyone...

dance, dance, dance
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 03 2005 :  2:04:20 PM  Show Profile
I must be really craving SUMMER, because when I saw this recipe, my mouth started watering. It sounds just yummy to me right now, and I'd thought I'd share it with "the girls":

Watermelon & Red Onion Salad

Ingredients:

2 cup watercress, large stems removed
1 qt watermelon, seedless, peeled, large dice
1 cup red onion slices, thin
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp raspberry vinegar

Preparation Steps (Estimated Time: 20 min):

1. Rinse and dry watercress
2. Combine watermelon, onion, watercress,
oil and vinegar in a large salad bowl.
3. Toss to evenly distribute.
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Serve.

Serves 4

Nutritional Information
serving size: 7.0 oz

Calories: 154
Total fat: 11 g
Sodium: 305 mg
Chol: 0 mg
Carbs: 14 g
Protein: 2 g

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 03 2005 :  3:15:03 PM  Show Profile
Sounds delicious Clare! This is definitely a keeper.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 03 2005 :  3:36:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh...that sounds wonderful...a keeper in my book too!! Can't wait for ripe watermelon to try it!!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 04 2005 :  09:20:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh My! I love watermelon! Cannot wait to try this one.Thanks
eileen

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 04 2005 :  7:33:20 PM  Show Profile
It's been awhile since I've been at this thread for some reason. Thank you for the homemade tofu recipe and all the other yummy stuff!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  06:16:06 AM  Show Profile
I need to read this in detail too.

I have been meaning to make miso soup. I have had the instant one.

I have been doing lots of pumpkin meals.

Wholemeal Date Scones are my favorite. Not sure where my recipe is, I have seen them online.
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  06:24:37 AM  Show Profile
Maybe this will help with the scones, they have to be baked on a higher temperature to other things.

http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/recipes_result.asp?name=wholemealscones

Go to Top of Page

FarmGirlsConnect
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  12:33:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi Bayoubunch...Try this one and let me know if it's the one you are looking for...

Bennigan's Ultimate Baked Potato Soup

3 pounds all-purpose potatoes, scrubbed
and pierced in several places
1 tablespoon stick butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
3 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Toppings
Shredded Cheddar cheese
Crumbled bacon
Chopped scallions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Bake potatoes 1 hour or until tender when pierced.
Peel when cool enough to handle.
Melt Butter in a 4- to 6-quart pot over medium low heat.
Stir in onions and garlic; cover and cook 10 minutes until soft, but not brown.
Add 2/3 of the potatoes and mash with a potato masher.
Add broth, milk, salt and pepper.
Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
Cut remaining potatoes in small cubes.
Add to soup and stir gently to reheat.
Sprinkle each serving with topping.

Yields 8 (1 cup) servings or 4 main dish servings

--What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not been discovered--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  11:07:47 AM  Show Profile
Oh that potato soup recipe sounds wonderful! Thank you! I will save it for a cool autumn day if that will ever come! Potatoes are big at our house, DH is Irish ancestry.

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  5:35:11 PM  Show Profile
Cinnamon and Apple Scones

3 1/2 cups wholemeal self raising flour
2 heaped tsp cinnamon
6oz cottage cheese
1 cup raisins
2 cups cold cooked apple
1 tab honey
1/2 cup skim milk

Preheat oven to 440oF. Place flour and cinnamon in a bowl. Add cottage cheese. Combine with fingertips until mixture resembles bread crumbs. Add raisins, honey and apple and mix thoroughly. Add milk. Do not over mix. Add a tab of milk at a time if mixutre is dry. Place dough on flour board, knead then roll into a 2 inch flat shape. Don't knead too long. With a 2 inch cutter or rim of a glass, stamp out scone shapes. Place on floured baking tray 2cm apart. Brush tops lightly with milk and bake in hot oven for 20-25 minutes.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  6:03:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Floral Saucer! Those look delicious! I am a real scone fan! There is a little coffee shop here where I live that I go to with my daughters sometimes on Saturday mornings that make awesome cranberry walnut scones. The chef won't give me his recipe But this will suffice very well... Thanks again! YUM!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  7:35:42 PM  Show Profile
That's OK. I am not sure that raisins are the same in both countries. We have sultanas and raisins. Raisins are the larger ones. Currants are the tiny dark ones.
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  7:37:51 PM  Show Profile
I found a site that described raisins as sticky.

Here is a picture anyway:

http://www.sunbeamfoods.com.au/products_raisins.htm

Edited by - FloralSaucer on Aug 09 2005 7:45:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  7:49:07 PM  Show Profile
They have sultana scones on that site

http://www.sunbeamfoods.com.au/recipes_muffins.htm

you could put craisins in place of the sultanas. I love sultanas myself.
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  08:23:10 AM  Show Profile
Lori,
Try going to kopycatrecipes.com Look under Bennigans or under soups. I have found "KFC" chicken, Boston Market Cornbread, and was pleased with the result of each recipe.
Joy
quote:
Originally posted by bayoubunch

Morning y'all,
Just wondering if anyone has a recipe for Baked Potatoe soup like the kind served at Bennigans?? have tried many from cook books but it is missing something..any ideas??..Have a great day ...lorij

Rejoice...

To live without farm life is merely existing, to live with farm life is living life to it very last experience.
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  09:22:54 AM  Show Profile
I am very sure this is not the healthiest recipe (bacon & flour)(butter & half & half) in the world but sure is good
I get the clams at Costco,very inexpensive
Large Pot of Clam Chowder

1 large can clams (approx. 50 oz)
1 large can chicken broth (50 oz)
1 pound bacon sliced small
10 large potatoes peeled and chopped into small cubes
1 pint half and half
1 cube butter (not margarine)
Wondra flour
2 med onions

Drain clams, reserving juice in large pot, add chicken broth to pot, reserving about 2 cups of broth for later, when broth and clam juice come to a boil, add potatoes and cook until almost done.

Rinse clams to remove any sand, set aside

While potatoes are cooking, sautee bacon in large frying pan until almost done but NOT crisp, add chopped onion, sautee until soft. Do NOT drain grease.

Add wondra flour to bacon mix a little at a time, stirring it in until it looks kind of like cookie dough (as if making gravy)

Add bacon mixture to potatoes and broth, bring back to boil, stirring often to prevent burning on bottom.

If the mixture is not thick enough, add about a half cup of Wondra flour to cold, reserved broth, shake until smooth and add to Soup a little at a time while stirring, (again, as if making gravy)

When soup is really thick and hot, add butter, when this is melted into soup, add half and half.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Recipes We'd Love to Share Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page