Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2004 :  11:51:08 AM  Show Profile

Grandmas Shortbread
1 pound butter(no substitutes,fresh organic if available.)
1 cup sugar
6 cups white flour (I use white spelt flour and increase the amount to about 71/2 cups)
pinch of salt
Whip butter until it looks like whipped cream. About 10 to 15 minutes in a warm kitchen. Beat in the sugar and beat an additional 4 minutes. Blend in salt and 1/2 the flour with the mixer. Work in the rest of the flour by hand with a wooden spoon or your hands. Add additional flour if still sticky until the mixture resembles a semi mealy consistency and sticks together like play dough. You can form a ball. Press this into a 9x13x2 or a 10x15x1 inch jellyroll pan.Smooth with the back of a fork until level throughout. Next gently press in slightly all around the outside of the edges with the back of the fork to bring edges away from pan slightly. Next prick the entire surface of the shortbread all the way through every 1/4 inch with the tines of a fork. Time consuming but esential to the crispness of the bread. Then gently drag the tines of the fork over the surface of the bread in strait lines to raise the grain a little. Bake in a 275 degree oven for about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours or until it begins to get a little color and you can no longer hear it singing as my grandma put it. The thinner shortbread cooks a little faster. Just watch it after about 45 minutes and make a judgement call. It is not supposed to be brown only just slightly darker that before it was cooked. It will be almost 1 inch thick. Turn out onto a dish towel after it has had about 5 minutes to cool slightly and carefully slice by pressing downwards with a sharp butchers knife every 1 or 2 inches. I cut 2 inch squares. Finish cooling on a cookie rack.
This is the real thing girls and guys.
Enjoy
Eileen

songbird

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2004 :  12:06:20 PM  Show Profile
This one is for Chicken Dave. Garlicky Bread Soup
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 Tablespoons Olive oil
1 Bay leaf crushed
Pinch red pepper flakes
2 quarts fresh rich chicken stock or veggie stock
2 cups dices french bread crusts removed( I leave the crusts on)
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (not canned type)
1/4 cup crushed fresh garlic (About 2 or more full heads skins removed)
2 cupps chopped sweet onion
salt to taste
1/2 cup heavy cream.
In a large stock pot heat oil, add onion, garlic,red pepper and bayleaf.Saute about 5 to 6 mins or until slightly caramelised.
Stir in the chicken stock and bring just to boiling and turn down heat to simmer for 40 minutes. Turn up heat again and wisk in the french bread cubes and the cream. Continue whisking until bread is mostly dissolved. If you leave on the crusts it is slightly lumpy but still tastes ok. I like the chewey bits of crust.
Serve piping hot with chopped fresh parsley and freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top. For added attraction place under the broiler for a few seconds to lightly brown the cheese and sprinkle the parsley on top of that. Serve with additional crusty french bread and garlic butter or garlic infused olive oil for dipping.
Enjoy your garlic!
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2004 :  1:39:49 PM  Show Profile
Forty Clove Garlic Chicken (not soup)

1 3 lb chicken
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 lb sliced celery
8 small carrots
40 garlic cloves
1/2 cup dry white wine
1x2 inch lemon zest
4 sprigs fresh thyme
balsamic vinegar (optional)
ground pepper (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 d. Halve or cut up chicken. Heat oil in oven proof pan and brown chicken. Reduce heat, remove chicken, add celery, carrots and garlic. Stir 2 minutes, place chicken on top, add wine, lemon & thyme. Bring to boil then turn off heat. Place double foil over top (to keep steam in) of pan tightly, put lid over foil and bake for 1-1/2 hours. Remove lid, add vinegar and season to taste.

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2004 :  3:07:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Celia for posting the 40 clove chicken...its very similar to my version. Here's a favorite of mine for a hearty Autumn evening meal.

Sausages with Grape Sauce

4 links sweet Italian sausage (about 3/4 pound)
1 shallot, minced
3/4 cup to 1 cup dry white wine ( I like a crisp sauvignon blanc)
1 TB. Dijon mustard
1/2 cup seedless grapes, halved
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 TBS. minced parsley

Boil the sausages in water to cover for 12 to 15 minutes or until no longer pink; drain. Sprinkle the bottom of a greased 1-quart baking dish with the shallots. Arrange the sausages on top. Cover with wine. Bake at 425 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes, turning sausages to brown evenly. Remove sausages but keep warm. Move the baking dish to the stove on medium low heat. Whisk in the mustard. Add the grapes stirring until warmed. Season to taste. Pour over the sausages. Top with the parsley and serve with toast points.

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2004 :  4:14:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing the recipes girls! As I have an intolerance to gluten and wheat, it's nice to see a recipe using an alternative flour.

farmgirl@heart
Longaberger Lover and all things antique
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2004 :  09:32:44 AM  Show Profile
Kim,
I have family members allergic to wheat as well. Spelt works for us as a substitute. I do not know if it will work for you. I substitute any flour in any recipe with this nutty tasting flour. Last night I made sourdough french bread. It takes about 1/3 more flour to get the same consistency as wheat but well worth the extra $ it costs. I use this french bread in my garlicky bread soup recipe.
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2004 :  3:11:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Eileen for the shortbread and garlic soup recipe! The shortbread recipe sounds delicious and came just at the right time! My husband and I are attending a Scottish and Highland Games festival this weekend. I'm making the shortbread to pack up for a picnic there and enjoy the men in their kilts and all the celtic music and crafts. The garlic soup sounds yummy. I love garlic and am a firm believer in its medicinal properties. I do have aquestion on your other post about miso soup. What is miso? Where can I find it? That soup sounds wonderful also to have on hand for the upcoming chill months. Many thanks!

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2004 :  08:01:20 AM  Show Profile
Hi Meadowlark,

Although you stated it to Eileen, I can answer your questions about miso soup. Miso is a paste made from fermented soybeans. It is used in asian cooking primarily as a soup base, much the same as
buoillon. You add it to water, or you can add it to chicken broth. It is salty in taste. You can obtain it at an asian grocery store, order it online, or maybe find it in a big grocery chain. Miso is also used in curry paste for thai food.

We make a tofu soup with miso. Here is the recipe:

any type of broth leftovers can be added to this to stretch it.
Miso and water to taste.
One pepper of any kind minced and deseeded. According to how "hot" you like your food. We;ve used jalapenos before
some type of mushroom
tofu, firm cut in chunks
we use a leafy green such as escarole or turnip leaves or collard greens thrown in a few minutes before serving. This softens the leaves, but doesn't make them limp and they are still a little crunchy.

You can add noodles or other vegetables as needed/desired (I've put in eggplant chunks before to use it up).

We love this soup.

julie
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2004 :  08:28:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Juliekay! We have a Vietnamese market here that I will check out for the miso. Eileen mentioned that the soup keeps well...can you freeze batches? Can Tofu be frozen? The eggplant sounds delicious. Now if I can just get my young daughter to try it! Thanks for the recipe! Hugs, MeadowLark

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2004 :  09:15:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny,
I get my miso at my local Safeway or the food co-op. Sound like you have an asian market close, Lucky you! The miso comes in either a plastic bag or a plastic container and this is what I freeze. When I have any soup that I want to add a little miso to I just scoop out the amount I want and mix it into a little warm, not boiling water or broth and add it to the slightly cooled soup or to the bowl I am ladeling the soup into. Most soups freeze very well. I would add the miso to the soup after I reheated it rather than risk boiling the miso. It tends to curdle if boiled. Also I tend to freeze the broths that I make and add the fresh vegetables to the broth after it is hot. But if I have a lot of greens and can't use them up before they spoil I will often make a soup base with them and freeze it. I have also washed, chopped and blanched fresh greens like mustard, kale beet, and chard and then frozen them to add to soups in mid winter when this is not as easy to get around here. I freeze tofu in the package it comes in and when I want to use it I squeeze out all of the water. It then has a changed texture and works well in things like chili as a substitute for ground meat. It becomes chewey and crumbly. Our library carries a lot of cook books and one I checked out before I bought it was The Tofu Cookbook. A good reference for a lot of asian cooking. I have learned to make my own tofu and the difference in flavor between home made and store bought that may be very old is remarkable. It is just like making cream cheese except that you have to soak and cook beans first.
Julie, It sounds like you cook like me!
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2004 :  11:14:38 AM  Show Profile
Eileen,

I never was into asian food as much, until I started dating my now fiancee. So I've learned along the way. Someday, I'd like to try making my own tofu also.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2004 :  12:25:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny, Let me know how your shortbread turns out. The amount of flour needed sometimes varies with the humidity. Just make sure it is slightly crumbly and still will make a ball. I found some Irish Butter at my co-op this week. Just put a batch of shortbread into the oven. It smells sooooo good. The butter is more like I remember from growing up. They do something different to butter now. I always look for the best butter money can buy when I make this.
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2004 :  1:09:06 PM  Show Profile
Eileen,
I'm curious, how do you make tofu?

farmgirl@heart
Longaberger Lover and all things antique
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2004 :  2:36:34 PM  Show Profile
Now I'm motivated to use up that tofu I bought, and put it into the miso soup packets which I had the best intentions of using! I'm grateful for all the posts from everyone here, makes me feel more creative in my eating!

Cecelia

ce's farm

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Dave
Vestal NY
64 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2004 :  5:02:44 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to you all for the recipes, bread soup, eh? I love learning new things :)
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2004 :  10:03:31 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kim,
Making Tofu is a process similar to making cheese. With Tofu you start with dried organic soybeans. You will need a food mill, blender or meat grinder to prepare the beans for curdling. Then you will need cheese cloth a large colander, a ladle and a gallon jug filled with water for weighting the mixture. You will need also either a 5% vinegar or lemon juice or nigiri for the curdling agent. A large cooking kettle heavy stainless steel is best..
First you wash and sort about 5 cups dried soybeans. Then you fill a container with fresh water at least 15 cups to soak the beans for at least 8 hours. The beans double in size and when you split one open it will no longer have a concave center but be flat and smooth inside.This means that they are ready to cook. While soaking your beans it is important to keep them under refridgeration so that they do not sour.. After you have soaked them you rinse them under cool water in a colander. Next you grind your beans . 2 cups at a time in a food processor or 1 cup at a time with 3 cups of water in a blender until they are slightly gritty sand texture. I use a meat grinder with the fine blade inserted and do this by hand. Don't get it so fine you cannot strain it through a fine nylon or triple layer cheesecloth. Using a wire whisk whip this ground pulp into 2 gallons of rapidly boiling water ( if you used a blender you do not need to add more water just boil) or 3 cups boiling water to every cup of soaked beans. ( You can 1/2 this recipe). Bring the mixture back to the boiling point and turn down the heat to medium, cook for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Watch this pot carefully as it can boil over, keep a cup of cold water next to the pot to add to cool it if it looks like it will boil over, You may have to adjust the heat down or remove from the heat briefly if it does start to boil over. Set your colander over a large pot and line it with the nylon mesh or several layers of cheese cloth. Pour or ladel the cooked soybean pulp into the colander. Gather up the edges of the cheese cloth and raise the ball up a few inches from the bottom of the colander sort of rolling it back and fourth in the cloth to help release most of the milk. Set it back down and twist the ends of the cloth together until it tightens around the ball of pulp. Press this with a wooden paddle or the back of a large spoon to extract as much of the milk as possible. (Note: this is hot work so I wear protective playtex gloves that are clean) You can open up the cloth and pour about 2 to 3 cups of boiling water through the pulp and squeeze again to get even more milk extracted from the beans. By the way this is how you can make your own soymilk for drinking and cooking also.. The pulp you have left in the cheese cloth can be reserved in the freezer or baked in a slow oven to a crispy texture and added to your bread recipies for additional protien and vitamines so don't throw it away.
Now that you have your milk you measure it into your large cooking pot. if you used all 5 cups of beans to make your mix then dilute 1/2 cup vinegar or lemon juice in 1 1/2 cups of hot water( for other curding agents see the Tofu cook book)The curdling should be done slowly so you Stir the freshly made soymilk still about 185 degrees with a paddle in slow circling turns stopping the paddle straight up in the mix and add 1 1/4 cup of the curdling agent over the top of the mixture as it is spinning around the paddle. Cover to retain the heat and let stand for about 5 minutes. It will start to form large white to pale yellow curds. If there is still milk present in the liquid poke gently at the mixture and gently stir in the remaining curding agent. Cover and let sit another 2 to 3 minutes. It is done when the curds are surrounded by clear yellow whey. Believe it or not the whey acts as a natural detergent and will suds easily if stirred. It is good for washing and soaking the pots and pans used during the processing of the tofu. Now the curds are ready to be made into the tofu. Line your clean colander with fresh layers of cheese cloth or clean nylon mesh. Set in sink over large pot or bowl. Using a large strainer gently press down on the curds in the pot until you can ladle out the whey in the strainer. Remove most of the whey this way into another pot. This helps to keep the curds together in one nice lump. Next ladle the remaining curds into the lined colander or into a tofu pressing box. I use a colander. Fold the cloth tightly around the curds. Place a flat plate on top and place a full gallon jug on top to weight this fresh tofu. Keep this weighted for about 30 minutes. Firmer tofu press longer. When you remove the weight the tofu should be firm to the touch. Gently remove from the colander and set in a sink or bowl of cold water. Remove the cloth and leave the block in the water until it is cool and firm. Store in a container of cold water in the refridgerator changing the water daily. Keeps a week this way. Can be frozen but must be squeezed after thawing and used as substitute for ground beef or chicken in a recipe.
Have fun!
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2004 :  2:28:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,
Dave asked for my sourdough bread recipe so I decided to share it here for everyone.
If you do not already have a sourdough starter in your fridge see if anyone you know has one that they will share 1 cup of with you. Ancient sourdough starts are best but you can do it yourself several ways. Get a starter from your organic food co-op or mail order. Can't remember the address just now. Or you can start your own using some organic plain yogurt, This is how to do it.
Sourdough starter:
use a glass, pottery or stainless steal container to get your started off to a good start.Preheat the container with hot water and then dry.
It will need to be about 1 1/2 quarts in size.
Heat 1 cup low fat milk to 90 degrees on a thermometer.
Remove from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons plain unflavored yogurt. (Best flavor comes from low fat )Pour this mixture into your prewarmed bowl, cover and allow to sit in a warm place(80 to 100 degrees)Not hotter than 100 degrees not cooler that 80 degrees. Inside an oven with a pilot light works well or over a bowl of warm water in an electrical oven. Or just turn on the light in your oven for warmth. This will take about 18 to 24 hours and by then the starter should be about the consistency of yogurt.If clear liquid is present in this mix just stir it back into the mixture unless it has turned pink thenyou will have to start over. Once this mixture has formed a curd stir in 1 cup all purpose or unbleached flour. ( I use spelt flour due to wheat allergies). Mix until it is smooth. cover again and allow to sit in the same warm place 80 to 100 degrees, until it is full of bubbles and has a good sour smell. 2 to 5 days.Check it daily and stir in any liquid that forms. (If it turns pink disgard all but 1/4 cup then blend in 1 cup each of warm milk and flour, cover and allow to sit again in a warm place until it is bubbly.) You will end up with 1 1/2 cups of starter. To have a constant supply of this mixture each time you take from it replace what you take with equal parts warm milk and flour. cover and let stand overnight in a warm place and then store tightly covered in the fridge. If you bake in the morning take your starter out of the fridge the night before and place in a warm place until you are ready for it. Using it regularly will keep it lively and active so if you do not use it for a few weeks take out some and replace it with warm milk and flour just to freshen. Make pancakes with what you take out or give it away with instructions to a friend.

songbird
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2004 :  3:02:00 PM  Show Profile
Sour dough Spelt French Bread
In a large bowl combine 2 cups warm water 110 degrees with 1 cup room temperature sour dough starter and 4 cups spelt flour. ( I grind my own but store bought works fine too, You can get white spelt if you like it milder)Cover your bowl and place it in a warm place for 8 hours or until your sponge is very thick and full of bubbles.
When ready stir into this 2 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons turbinado sugar ( regular works too) and enough more spelt flour to make a very stiff dough.( Up to about4 to 5 cups). Turn this dough out onto a well floured board and knead until no longer sticky but not too long for spelt gluten breaks down very fast unlike wheat that requires kneading to build the gluten. Grease a glass bowl with butter and turn this dough into this bowl. grease top by flipping dough in bowl.Place bowl in warm place to rise until doubled in bulk(about 2 hours or more). Punch down dough by punching into center of dough to release air and turning dough together out onto your flour covered board. Divide dough into two equal pieces. Set one aside while shaping the other. Prepare a sheet of cardboard about 7 by 14 inches by wraping in foil and sprinkling surface with 2 tblspoons corn meal( to keep dough from sticking to board.) Shape dough on bread board either into a round or an oblong.
Form oblong by rolling dough gently until it is about 14 inches long. Place dough on the prepared cardboard cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise about 1 1/2 hours. Form second loaf same way or to make a round loaf prepare you card board in a 12 inch square and cover with foil. Sprinkle with cornmeal as before. Shape loaf by forming into smooth balls; lift and smooth top by pulling it down and pinching a seam underneath.
To bake you will need two oven racke. one on the lowest level and the second on the next level up in the oven. Place a baking stone on the top rack to preheat to 400 degrees. Just before you place the loaves in the oven place a shallow rimmed baking sheet on the bottom rack and pour into it 1/4 inch boiling water. Meanwhile mix 1 teaspoon cornstarch with 1/2 cup water and heat to boiling. remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. With a very sharp knife or a new rasor blade cut 1/2 inch deep slashes on top 3 in the oblong or a tic tac toe on the rounds. Brush the top of the loaves all the way to the edges of the cardboard with the cornstarch mix. Slide the loaves onto the preheated baking stone from the cardboard.
Bake for 10 minutes and then brush with more cornstarc mix and bake an additional 25 minutes or until hollow and not burnt. I bake these one at a time.

songbird
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Dave
Vestal NY
64 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2004 :  4:35:37 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Eileen. I may not be able to "make bread" until I am retired, but these recipes have made their way into my recipe file (and it is not very big, smile). Tonight I am making Garlic Senate Soup (recipe from Chesnock Garlic Farm, Apalachin, NY <Apalachin is about 8 miles from where I live, unfortunately, the garlic farm does not still exist>). 2# navy pea beans, 4 qts water, 1 1/2 lbs smoked ham hocks, 4-8 garlic cloves, chopped, 1 onion, 2 carrots, sliced, 1-2 celery stalks, chopped, 1 bay leaf, 2 medium potatoes, cubed. Cover beans with water and soak overnight. Cook ham hocks until meat falls away from bones (3-4 hrs). Strain, when ham hocks are cooled, trim away fat, skin and bones. Cube ham and save to add to broth later. Next day, drain beans, pick over. Add stock, garlic, celery, carrots, onions and bay leaf. Simmer gently for about 3-4 hours or until beans are almost soft, then add cubed potatoes and continue cooking until potates are cooked, then add the ham from the ham hocks. Serve with garlic bread. I bounced this recipe off a co-worker and she said not to cook the beans in the ham broth, as it would coat the beans and they would not soften up. Bounced it off my fiance and she said to do the ham hocks first, remove hocks, pick and store, let stock cool and take off the fat from the top of the broth, then simmer the beans in the remaining stock the next day......presently, my kitchen smells wonderful.....:)
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2004 :  5:48:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi Dave, Sounds wonderful! Your fiance is right about the broth and the fat removal. Makes a better all around soup if you do that.
The bread does take literally all day to make after you have done the souring of the dough! But it is OH SO WORTH IT!

Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2004 :  6:56:04 PM  Show Profile
This evening I made up a pot of pepperpot soup (otherwise known as tripe soup, and if you don't know what tripe is made from, don't ask!). Not something we eat very often, but the market had the tripe so I thought it was time to make it again. Anyone want my recipe?

Cecelia

ce's farm

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Dave
Vestal NY
64 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2004 :  7:31:50 PM  Show Profile
Ce, Yes, please post your recipe. The "garlic senate soup" is almost done and I hope that it will curb my fiance's cold/virus....still collecting recipes...Thanks......chickendave
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  2:30:15 PM  Show Profile
Here it is, Dave. Take about 1 lb. of tripe (cut up into 1/2 inch or so pieces); wash and bring to a simmer 3 times (rinse and start with fresh water each time). =After the 3rd simmer, rinse again, fill pot with water and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and add about 3 cups of dices vegetables - your choice, I use onion, celery, carrots and some potato (not too much potato, 1 is enough). Try to have all the vegetables uniformly cut in about 1/2" dice so they all cook at the same time. Add whatever herbs you like, I use parsley, a bit of rosemary, salt & pepper to taste. When you serve the soup, each person should add, to taste, some apple cider vinegar, to their bowl or cup. This takes some practice if you haven't had this soup before. You can also leave out the vinegar if you don't like a bit of a sour taste.

Cecelia

ce's farm

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Dave
Vestal NY
64 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  3:37:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Cecelia, was starting to think you had forgotten me. I am game to try any recipes, but prefer those from friends. Not that I don't have several cookbooks (and still collect them) (smile), but I like recipes that I can connect a name to, if you know what I mean. This one sounds interesting....
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  7:03:21 PM  Show Profile
Yes, it's interesting and different. Unless you know someone who has tried this, so you can get a feel for the taste, you might want to ask your butcher (if you can find one of those nowadays), to give you a smaller portion of the tripe, so you can make up a really small batch of soup (like a cupful or two). If you can't get a small piece, try freezing the rest until you see if you like the soup. Experiment! Good luck with the cooking.

Cecelia

ce's farm

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2004 :  09:35:30 AM  Show Profile
Sunshine Harvest Bread
[left]8 to 9 cups Bread Flour
2 pkgs. active dry yeast
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon Salt
3/4 cup wheat germ
1 1/2 cups Zuccinni milk ( pureed zuccinni)
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup soft butter(no substitute)
4 fresh eggs
In a large mixing bowl combine 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt, wheat germ, and mix well.
Heat zuccinni milk, water and butter just until warm (110 degrees.)
Blend on low speed for 3 to 4 minutes. Blend in enough flour to make a firm dough. Turn out onto floured bread board and knead for 5 to 8 minutes. Place into a well greased bowl and grease top. Cover and allow to rise 1 1/2 hours. Punch down and divide into three balls. Shape each ball into a loaf and place into a well greased bread pan. Allow to rise 45 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Recipes We'd Love to Share Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page