campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  05:48:25 AM  Show Profile
I have noticed that after I clean my wood floors that there is a thin dull film left when they dry. I have been cleaning them with murphys & a bit of vinegar. Does anyone have any different solutions?

Erin
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #190

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  05:58:31 AM  Show Profile
I really like the Method cleaner...it's really simple, and smells HEAVENLY, like almonds. I have old, varnished floors that just gleam when I'm finished, and it's as simple as mop and glo, where you squeeze a bit onto the floor in an "s" pattern, then mop with a damp mop.
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  06:23:43 AM  Show Profile
the company who installed my wood floors- said ONLY use vinegar and water on my floors- I put it in a spray bottle and we spot wash constanly-this seems to work wonders!
Lori

Have a Country Day
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  06:52:00 AM  Show Profile
I use the Swiffer wood floor cleaner on my wood floors. It makes them very shiny and bright. This is the only place I use the Swiffer products. I feel they are too expensive and wasteful for the rest of the house. I tried the vinegar and water only method on my floors and it made them dull.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  08:19:31 AM  Show Profile
I used to houseclean for my aunts - one of them had had a very nice hardwood floor put in and she only ever used Apple Cider Vinegar and water on it. It stayed lovely!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  09:00:10 AM  Show Profile
Amy Grace,
What would be the difference between apple cider vinegar & white vinegar?

Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page

ruby slipper
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

6 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  5:32:21 PM  Show Profile
I use 1 cup of vinegar to 1 gallon of water, mop, then mop again with a plain water rinse.Takes a bit longer with double mopping, but it works great on my Pergo!

Blessings-
Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  6:41:00 PM  Show Profile
Erin,
I have no idea what difference it would make as far as cleaning properties. For windows I would only use white vinegar, just because it is clear....other than that, I just did what my aunt asked me to, although I must say the results were great.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  07:22:36 AM  Show Profile
I have been using Murphy's oil soap for several years and notice a film too, sometimes it turns into black guck after a few days of people walking on it. I like the finish from the Acrylic floor treatment for wood floors (Armstrong? I'll have to look) but it smells bad, is a pain to apply, and takes a couple of hours to dry, so I've been searching for a good solution too.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  07:33:38 AM  Show Profile
I have nearly all wood floors in my old house. With that said they need to be desperately refinished to meet today's standards of shine. I do have plans to actually do an old-fashioned hand waxing on them this year and never put new varnish on them. I like the look of the wear and tear.

That being said I also LOVE the Method Cleaner. I love the smell and it is non-toxic. About once a month I will do a cool water vinegar wash. I only use distilled vinegar. I was told by an man to never wash your wood floors with hot water. The hot or ever too warm water causes the really old grime in the floor to resurface and can cause that grimy feeling. So if you have floors that are not highly refinished you may want to try using colder water.

Also, I personally would throw the bottle of Murphy's Oil Soap out. My grandfather refinished wood and swore it was the worst thing ever for it.

hugs~

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  07:06:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies. I'm going to try the vinegar & water to wash the floors. It will probably take a couple of tries to get the old grime off but I'm up for the challenge!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Cleaning wood floors Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page