kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  7:15:47 PM  Show Profile
but I have not shaved under my arms since the end of summer and I could probably braid all the hair now. Well, I couldn't. Someone else would have to and that doesn't sound like a job I'd ask anyone to do. It's really not as bad as I thought it would be though. I do still use deodorant. I haven't gotten that far yet. But you know the movie "Dances with Wolves" where Kevin Costner finds Stands with a Fist and she's sick or something and he takes her back to her tribe and the really cute Indian with all the long hair blowing in the breeze (I love him) grabs her by the arm and drags her back with him and you can see all her underarm hair? Well, that's about where I am now.

I told ya it's probably a little TMI. I hope I'm not the only one out there with braidable underarm hair right now.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  8:11:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
ROFL! Oh my gosh Kristin! You are so funny! You just cheered me up. Thanks!

Sometimes I forget to shave. I forgot to shave since about Christmas until a few days ago. I must admit- I like the feeling of shaved pits better than unshaved. It's just a texture thing.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  8:38:55 PM  Show Profile
You guys are crazy! Sometimes shaving your pits is the last thing on your mind though! Maybe you should wait until spring that way they will keep you warm!

Best farm wishes
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  9:22:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL! I think it is a cold weather warm weather thing! During warm weather I wear short sleeves or tanks and I can feel the hairs, but in winter when I wear long sleeves or sweater I can't feel them as much so I forget sometimes! LOL Worrying about what Nora is getting into while I get cleaned up makes me think more along the lines- "Okay- Hot water on...hair wet..soaped down, hair cleaned, rinsed- OUT!" LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  9:53:30 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, this would have been a very bizarre post indeed without the storyline to illustrate.

It made me laugh at loud! More TMI, but it's not uncommon. I was a hippie and then a punk. I didn't shave my underarms until my second wedding at 39 years old and then just because I was wearing a halter gown. And I only started shaving daily when we moved to AZ and my daughter's friends made fun of her because I didn't shave.

Well, in northern California, full of hippies, no problem and in Alaska where you don't even undress, no problem, and in NYC with the punks, it just matches the black clothing...no fashion problem....

But I love the way you tell it. Super!

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com & www.wayofthewife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  03:38:21 AM  Show Profile
I routinely don't shave my underarms during the fall/winter months. Once the weather gets cool enough to wear long sleeves, I stop shaving. I have a personal theory, that it is healthier. I often wonder why breast cancer rates are so high in this country. My theory is that, it is cultural. What do we do, we shave our underarm hair, opening the pores and put chemicals on the open pores (deodorant, antiperspirant), where does this chemical then go, down into the breast tissue. I know this probably sounds like a crazy theory, but to me, it makes sense. No one knows that I don't shave except, my kids and DH and he doesn't seem to mind.

As soon as the weather is warm for short sleeves, I will shave again and use an all natural crystal deodorant stick.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  05:54:54 AM  Show Profile
That is kind of where I was going with this, too. Plus the being forgetfull or in a hurry. In the spring when it gets warm again and I wear shorter sleeves and tanks out in the garden, I might start shaving again. Well, by then i'll have to use the scissors first. But it is a little "green' issue, too, not using a razor that isn't biodegradable and all that. I have tried the Kiss My Face brand of deo. (because I have heard about the cancer issue, too) but don't like the stickiness of it and it just really didn't work for me in summer.

If I forget to shave in the spring, and my friends and family don't want me around anymore,there is a place I could go live and I'd fit right in. I always wanted to live at the Sequatchie Valley Institute up in Tn. near here. It's a sustainable living teaching place and I could always be an intern there. They have all kinds of workshops on becoming more sustainable. You can look them up on-line and check them out. They are the nicest people and they don't shave! They go to the Chattanooga market and Ashley, the one who started this with her husband Patrick, make the coolest jewelry out of glass. Anyway, now I'm rambling on.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

abbysshadow
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Sherry
Dayton Nevada
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  07:05:54 AM  Show Profile
...hey, I love TMI! lol...

...I cannot do all the good that the world needs, but the world needs all the good that I can do...
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  09:34:55 AM  Show Profile
I don't shave much either. At least not in the Winter months! or when dear hubby ASKS me to shave! He HATES hairy legs-- guess it's cause he's got enough on his OWN! (he's LITERALLY a "Human HAIRBALL!!! must have been some "Gorrilla" in his background (LOL!) I mostly don't shave because I'M LAZY and hate to do it. Although, what you ladies mentioned here makes a lot of sense too. I never really thought of it that way.... though I DO try to keep things "Natural" in my life. Guess not shaving is another one -- only I do it (or DON'T do it!) subconsciously! Thanks for a good laugh today!! Hugs from one "Hairy" sister to another ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  2:17:00 PM  Show Profile
Well, I am glad I am not alone...well, sort of not alone. I dont like the way fuzzy armpits feel, so that almost a daily routine to be rid of that. Shaving my legs on the other hand is optional. In the winter time, I am not a big doer because I can't stand to be cold long enough to expose my legs to shave them (I use an electric razor, looks like I am in a cat fight with the stick razors..not pretty!) Once in a while hubby will say "if you are shaving your legs, Im not shaving my face" and then I have to give in.
Thank goodness its not a hygeine thing, its just a preference thing..lol
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Life should NOT be a jounrey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming. "WOOHOO, what a ride!"

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  2:59:32 PM  Show Profile
Well, I do shave my armpits..not so good about shaving my legs though. I just had to agree...that indian that drags the gal with the armpit hair..well, wow...he is a honey.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  3:37:09 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, that's the only reason I watch that movie, to drool over him.

Yeah, the legs have it going on, too. I guess that is more a lazy thing for me in winter. But ya know, the older I get the less leg hair I have. Strange. Just still alot in the front. I still have lots of hair on the head, thank goodness.

I guess I am just reverting back to my hippiness. I always had it in me, though. Drove a VW bug for years, just til about 7 years ago. I got tired of being cold in winter and too hot in summer, so gave him to my DD. And she drove him for 6 years.

That's too funny, Tracy. I think my DH has gorilla in him, too. I love hairy men, though.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  3:52:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kristin sherrill
Well, by then i'll have to use the scissors first.

I use my husband's electric trimmer to trim the underarm hair short, but not shave. I don't like when the hair gets long.

I also don't shave my legs during the winter, mainly because my skin gets so dry if I do. It seems to stay more moist if I leave the hair there. I don't like that dry itchy winter skin.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  3:58:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
I shaved my legs for the first time in 4 months. Well I had started to shave the right one a bit ago, but then thought what the heck? so I stopped, last night though Wowzers did I ever have to rinse the tub,LMBO!!

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  4:14:22 PM  Show Profile
Well I am right there with everyone....I dont shave much in the fall and winter. I dont even shave my legs much in the fall and winter. Just not much time to do it. And I dont worry about it. I still use lotion on my legs to help with the dry skin. And hubby doesnt seem to mind. I am sure if he did he would say...As kids we wanted to shave as a young girl but our mothers wouldnt let us...but we sneeked to do it....But the minute she say hair on our pits we were told to shave right away...And now we could care less...to me only if needed...and when the summer comes...
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  4:18:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amanda- tell me about it! LOL It is so funny to see the "little fallen forest" as I call it after I haven't shaved my legs for a while! I haven't shaved my legs for at least a month if not more! LoL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  12:26:31 AM  Show Profile
Kris, you are too funny, you really brought a smile to my face with this post. I shave the pits when I notice it, but it seems I perspire more when I have hair under my arms then when I don't. However, on the leg issue, I rarely ever get to wear shorts, even in the summer, so I rarely ever shave my legs anymore and the hair isn't as bad as you would think. I stopped shaving my thighs many, many years ago, and you would be hard pressed to tell. I've often wondered where our culture got the notion that we should shave hair where God intended it to grow?

You know, when I lived in FL and had what I refer to as a "real job", the women I worked with would even shave the little hairs on their toes so it looked better when they wore sandals. That's just ridiculous if you ask me, that's taking it WAY too far.

But, like they say, different strokes for different folks.

Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  06:39:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I asked my husband (after explaining this conversation) if he minded having a hairy wife since I haven't shaved for a while- and the dear guy without hesitation said "nope!" LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  07:47:20 AM  Show Profile
Ah Alee, what a guy! Mine doesn't either.

Cindy, I have shaved the toe hairs, too. Just because.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  08:15:13 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Funny you say this, I keep forgetting (or subconciously don't want to) shave mine and though they get a lil furry not the amount to braid! They tend to stop growing at some point. I just like them shaved so deodorant works better.

Hey what was that post about someones grandma taking a lighter to her leg hair and never has to shave? I wish I didn't have to. I have coarse dark leg hair......if something would make it fine and less I'd be so happy!

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  12:10:04 PM  Show Profile
I'm more comfortable w/ shaved pits. As a what the hey kind of thing. I stopp shaving my legs back in november.

first day of spring I'll shave. curious to see how long it will grow.

funny thing is, hubby hasn't said a word.
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  12:23:38 PM  Show Profile
WOW, this is kinda funny. Shaving is right up there with putting away the laundry. I dispise it! I gotta do it though.....when the stubble is there, we joke about hearing crickets when my legs rub together!!! LMBO!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Check out my blog!! http://bestcoupleintown.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  1:18:04 PM  Show Profile
I tend to go quite a while without shaving (legs or underarms). Probably more in the winter months than in the summer, but as I don't wear shorts or tank tops I don't really know why. I'm glad to hear that there are others like me.

I like the TMI posts too, they are most interesting I think.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  6:10:31 PM  Show Profile
This is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought the "chinny chin chin" hairs were the worst, maybe not..........LOL!!!!!
I KNOW when its time to shave legs, DH says...stay away!!!

Farmgirl Sister #368

http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  6:24:46 PM  Show Profile
to Shave or Not to shave that seems to be the question...... Not for me.. I shave my legs almost weekly, I cannot stand the stubble when i put on my "Silkies" long Underwear". As far as the pits.. well I occassionally forget in the winter, but I noticed the older or it might just be a Post menopausal thing. .. I get the less hair grows..Except on my chin.. speaking of that.. where did I put my tweezers?

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  6:47:02 PM  Show Profile
What a funny post Kristin! With all the response, I guess that just shows we can discuss pretty much anything (even TMI stuff)!

I thought less hair was a "getting older" thing, too. I have hardly any left growing on my legs and stopped shaving upper legs years ago, too. Couldn't tell the difference so, I figured I was just wasting my time. Thankfully, nothing on my chin (yet). I shave underarms because deodorant won't even last a day if I don't shave. Never even thought about shaving toes! Sorry, but that sounds hilarious to me! LOL

As far as Dances With Wolves; Wind In His Hair is drop-dead gorgeous. His real name is Rodney...shoot I forgot his last name. Anyway, that man has the prettiest hair!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic OK, Probably a little TMI, Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page