True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  07:45:29 AM  Show Profile
WASHING CLOTHES

Build fire in backyard to heat kettle of rain water. Set tubs so smoke wont blow in eyes if wind is pert. Shave one hole cake of lie soap in boilin water.

Sort things, make 3 piles.1 pile white,1 pile colored, 1 pile work britches and rags.
To make starch, stir flour in cool water to smooth, then thin down with boiling water.

Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, and boil, then rub colored don't boil just wrench and starch.

Take things out of kettle with broom stick handle, then wrench, and starch.

Hang old rags on fence.

Spread tea towels on grass.

Pore wrench water in flower bed. Scrub porch with hot soapy water. Turn tubs upside down.

Go put on clean dress, smooth hair with hair combs. Brew cup of tea, sit and rock a spell and count your blessings.

Paste this over your washer and dryer. Next time when you think things are bleak, read it again, kiss that washing machine and dryer, and give thanks. First thing each morning you should run and hug your washer and dryer, also your toilet--- (those two-holers used to get mighty cold!)

For you non-southerners - wrench means rinse.

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  07:52:00 AM  Show Profile
That is so neat. Where did you find that? My hubby says wrench, too. Drives me crazy. Also wrisk for wrist and tar for tire. He talks like his mom did. He plays chest, too. Not chess. We've been married 30 years. I have not gotten thru to him yet! Guess I just have to get over it.

I am so very thankful for my washer. Used to have the wringer, though. Just because I wanted one. I used it alot Washed tons of cloth diapers in that washer.

Thanks for sharing this. Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  2:53:22 PM  Show Profile
Debbie, that's great! And to think, I put off laundry as much as possible and it only takes a few minutes of my time, the machine does the rest. We're never happy. Sure does make me appreciate my machines much more though!!! Especially in the dead of winter

Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  4:06:45 PM  Show Profile
Yep, them good old days---we are darn lucky. Neat recipe. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  06:44:09 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad you explained the wrench thing. I thought it meant wringing them out! lol. Yep, our chores are soooo much easier than they used to be. But then we're not in as a good a shape, either!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

abbysshadow
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Sherry
Dayton Nevada
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  07:01:33 AM  Show Profile
it makes my hands ache just reading that...I am doing laundry today..and counting my blessings for sure!.... also my hubby puts an R in wash for warsh...drives me nuts, but it hasn't changed in 27 years.. lol

...I cannot do all the good that the world needs, but the world needs all the good that I can do...
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Grandma's wash day recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page