Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Texas Ranch House on PBS this May
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Texas Ranch House on PBS this May Next Topic
Page: of 3

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  05:42:30 AM  Show Profile
I agree, the only thing that made the show watchable were the cowboys. Thanks for jumping in Colorado Cowgirl. I noticed it was your first post, I hope you stick around, we have a great website.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  11:30:02 AM  Show Profile
I haven't been able to post for awhile, but after watching Texas Ranch House, I had to see if all of you agreed with me. What a waste of time! I kept waiting for the show to tell me something about the time and area.
My g-grandmother came West in 1864, with her soldier husband and 2 year old daughter. She gave birth to my grandfather in the wagon on the way to Idaho. She raised all 9 of her children to adulthood, took in orphans, including some Indian children, helped her husband build a large cattle ranch, raised their food in her gardens and orchards, sewed their clothes, mostly by hand, and participated in her community. She drove a horse and buggy, milked her cow, and served as nurse, or "herb doctor" to her neighbors. I bet she never left dirty dishes and leftover food on her table on the porch for 8 days, and never appeared in public in her underwear.
I was really disappointed in the show.
However, the cowboys worked hard, including both cooks. I don't blame the first cook for quitting. The men learned to ride and do the work of ranchhands, under less than ideal circumstances. They did a good job. Ranchers now, and then, work just as hard and long as their hired hands. The boss sets the tone for any organization, and Mr. Cooke, was a poor boss. The ranchwife should have made sure the boys were eating, that is part of a ranchwife job, making sure everyone has enough to eat.
Colorado Cowgirl, I am glad that your hubby got to keep his horse. He should be proud of his work and of his actions.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  12:15:40 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Colorado Cowgirl! I was wondering whether the cowboys actually got to keep the horses they "bought"... How did that work? They weren't really Mr. Cooke's property to sell, were they?

Can you share any of the details about what it was like for him being on the show, and for you being at home? There's probably a lot that can't be disclosed, but I've always wondered about how the crew and the participants interact. How did he find out about the auditions?

I'm glad his personal experience on the ranch was more positive than what we saw. I hope he'll end up remembering the good stuff more than the bad. And, like the other posters, I thought the cowboys did a great job! Watching them work during the cattle drive was definitely the most interesting part of the show.
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  1:44:43 PM  Show Profile
Colorado Cowgirl,

I, too, felt that the cowboys were the only "real" thing on the show. They worked their tails off, and were treated very poorly by the ranch owners.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Texas Ranch House on PBS this May Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page