Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Texas Ranch House on PBS this May
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Texas Ranch House on PBS this May Next Topic
Page: of 3

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  11:52:32 AM  Show Profile
OK, here's how much I loved Frontier House. In the spring of 2004, my husband became suddenly, deathly ill and I had to rush him to the emergency room. He was admitted, and then we had to wait through the weekend for a surgical team to perform an operation on Monday. We were watching TV together in his hospital room when this amazing, completely unanticipated Frontier House show came on. It totally distracted us from the problem at hand. In fact, we were so engrossed that when the doctors came in to discuss his condition, we were both trying to keep an eye on the show while they talked! We were so bummed that we had to miss part of Frontier House to hear about boring stuff like what was wrong with my husband and what they were going to do about it!

Fortunately, this story had a happy ending. We caught the reruns together later in the year.

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  3:41:55 PM  Show Profile
I have loved all the others but am really disappointed in this one. Too much emphasis on all the arguing and in-fighting. And I'd like to reach inside the TV and slap Mrs. Cooke up side the head! What a bossy snot she is! If she was really in the 1800s there is no way she'd get away with that. It doesn't appear to me that anyone is really working very hard -- they sure seem to have lots of free time.

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  10:30:09 PM  Show Profile
It's funny I just told my husband after watching yet another night of arguing on Ranch House that I would like to see them make a pie from start to finish, or cook up a stew using all the ways they would have in the mid 1800's.

Maybe PBS thinks we all want to watch of the bickering figure it is good for ratings??? I say if you want to watch people have conflicts then watch Dr. Phil, you can find them on his show nearly everyday. This is not to rag on Dr. Phil as I like the show, but I know when I tune in that it could be some sort of family conflict.

I want to see how the people lived. Show us what the process from sheep to wool fabric would have been like. And how they got cotton fabric from cotton on the vine. And more.

I took all of the virutal tours on the Ranch House website and loved reading about it all. This was more enjoyable than watching the show.

Now maybe we are only getting to see the parts they want us to see...again for ratings. Although I do not know that PBS is concerned about ratings as some of the major networks are. But this could be part of the issue.

I will continue to watch, but I am as dissappointed as the rest of you are.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  06:02:02 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
I was able to finally catch some last night, and I too am disappointed. They seemed to be following the same trail all the other major networks are on with their reality TV. The bickering fighting and back stabbing. It isn't an accurate historical representation at all. I don't think I will be spending much more time on this show.

Elizabeth

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  06:45:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
This is so weird, too, since on frontier house they were constantly telling you little tidbits about the time period. I agree with the above comments. It's enjoyable, but getting a little too "real world" for me!! I think PBS is taking all the WRONG cues from current "reality" television. On frontier house they did talk about and show the in-fighting and bickering, but it wasn't the main part of the show! When they talked about chores, they said, daughter #1 tends the garden, daughter #2 tends the chicken, and the girl of all work does everything else. What IS everything else!! This is why I'm watching PBS... you know?

http://farmaspirations.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  07:42:12 AM  Show Profile
Good morning to you all,

I must agree with you all about the perspective they are portraying in this show - it's not for real or even close. Now I don't claim to know much about that time period, but I do know enough to know that there is no way a woman would have that much say to her husband about how things were run. I don't like her at all. I've only seen the second half of the past two day's episodes and I have a feeling, I didn't miss much at all.

It would be nice to see how they made a pie or actually provided for themselves. I realize it's TX dessert for the most part, but you don't see a garden of any kind, maybe that was shown at the beginning. And I didn't like how the girls decided what they would wear and not wear. The commentator made the comment that in "those days" the girls would wear all of the layers - I doubt if they had any choice in the matter. Like I said, I don't claim to know too much, but did the women really expose their skin as much as these girls are doing? Not meaning it in a seductive way, just exposure to the sun, I thought the prized girls were the ones with ivory, dewy, white skin. I think that's what I remember from reading about Laura and Mary in "Little House on the Prairie" series. Isn't this about the same time period?

I'm not very impressed with this show. I think one of the hired hands said it last night something about having meetings all the time being very 21st century actions. That's not the only thing that's influenced by 21st century living, in my humble opinion.

Do you think writing letters to the station or producers would make a difference in any way?

Glad this city girl is not so way off base and that I'm seeing things the same way you all are. Have a blessed day.

In HIs hands,
Lynda L.

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  09:28:17 AM  Show Profile
I caught some of the show last night and I am defintely writing to PBS. What a joke this is! Instead of working with the native Americans on a trade to get the two horses back, the father made some ridiculous remark to the effect, "We don't negotiate with terrorists!" He is rude to the head cowboy and all of them. I don't know who these people are (the family) but they are on some kind of power trip and are not participating at all. OK - that's it for me. And you all are right - I want to smack the mother too. I'm very disappointed because I too loved Frontier House and Colonial House (even thought that one wasn't as good as Frontier House). I'm going to write PBS later today and voice my displeasure.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  09:45:26 AM  Show Profile
Mrs. Cooke is easy to dislike, but Mr. Cooke is no prize either! What a lousy manager. I'm seeing echoes of all the terrible workplaces from my past, as he veers back and forth between neglect and micromanagement.

Do you think the producers will ever do a series that focuses on Native Americans? I've seen Indians appear in Colonial House, and now in Texas Ranch House, and they always seem to be thrown in just to make everybody else feel guilty about what they're doing. The "conflict" always falls a little flat, because most modern Americans already recognize and regret what the Indians have suffered as a result of U.S. progress. Plus, everybody involved knows that there's not really going to be any killing and torturing!

I would love to see a bunch of modern Indians learning to cook, build, hunt and/or farm the way their ancestors did. Just like the "Houses" that have already aired, there would have to be at least four or five different shows to touch on some of the major cultural groups. I'm sure there are Indians and non-natives both who would jump at the opportunity to do this. But any attempt to put a show like that together would probably get mired down in politics. Not to mention, I'm sure the Indians would fight and complain as much as everybody else, and that would sort of blow their wise, noble, and righteously aggrieved image ;)
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  11:41:27 AM  Show Profile
I'm very disappointed in this show and will write PBS abbout it. Is anybody else wishing the cowboys would just up and quit? I call it Texas B***H House. THe wife takes offence at everything. The maid came with a feminist agenda and I think she has stirred up the women and played on and encouraged their inacceptance of 19th century roles. I'm tired of seeing the bickering.

I was glued to the tv for Frontier House. Not this one; I can walk away and grab a snack. I really don't see any actual work being done save rounding up the cattle.

You should write PBS and let them know what you think of it. Click on the link, at the very bottom it says feedback, click on that and you can send them your thoughts.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/ranchhouse/

Edited by - Susie Q on May 04 2006 12:27:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  12:40:07 PM  Show Profile
I think this link might get you right to the screen where you can send feedback. (It's on the left hand side)

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/ranchhouse/history.html

I too am very disappointed in the amount of time spent whining and how little educational information is included. For example, you see Mrs. Cooke doing laundry but they never tell you anything about it. Where did she get the soap? Does she make her own? If so, show it. Does she barter with the tradesmen that stop by? If so, what valuable items does she trade with them? How does she feel about a "woman's place" on the ranch. So many opportunities for education just glossed over so they have time for more drama!

And another thing....While I can understand some complaining (it would be hard to adjust), I highly doubt that a woman in that day and time in Mrs. Cooke's shoes would have acted the way she does. She would have known her place. She likely would have been shot or traded for cattle.

Such a shame. I LOVED Frontier House so much that it's what inspired me to leave the city life and start my own little Frontier House.

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

Edited by - FlipFlopFarmer on May 04 2006 12:41:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  3:22:08 PM  Show Profile
I agree with the rest of you ~ I want to see more actual historical features, not bickering. Mrs. Cook is driving me batty ~ I want to smack her too! It is like she is trying to create problems and not enjoying doing the project. Women "might" have had a lot to say, but it was done quietly and behind the scenes and certainly not in front of the hired help. I would love to see what it is in that garden and more in the house. Their clothes look so clean and white but I don't see them washing. Do you think writing PBS would really help?
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  4:21:49 PM  Show Profile
I agree with all of you. I too am very disappointed in the show and the amount of bickering that gos on. I tuned in to learn something about the time period, and the Texas ranch life,not to witness more of Mrs. Cooks antics to gain control of the ENTIRE ranch. Ohhhhh, I can't stand her. Even the sound of her voice makes my skin crawl!!! I wish Mr. Cook would grow a backbone(amoung other things!) and put her in her place. What a little weasle!!! I hate it that these 21st century people can't leave their mordern day attitudes behind and play their roles accurately, as history dictated! Why then, aggree to do the show? I think Mr. ans Mrs. Cook should be voted off the island!! Just my opinion. Luzy

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  4:28:22 PM  Show Profile
I went onto the link posted above and gave them my two cents worth. I hope they listen. I think we all should send them our feelings.
Wouldn't it be fascinating to see how the women folk survived while the men were off fighting suring the Civil War or the Revolutionary War. We hear alot about battles, but what where the women doing. How did they eat, did they hunt? Many of them lived out in the middle of nowhere and did not have access to the local grocery. I have read stories of my ancestors making their clothes from the wool they sheered and spun.
Well, it's time to go sell ice cream since the kiddies are home from school! (I drive an ice cream truck)
Pamela

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  5:19:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting the link to leave feedback. I wrote them and let them know how disappointed I am in this show. Last night I was so sick of seeing meetings between the owners and ranch hands I just turned it off. I did tape it but doubt if I will watch. Mr. and Mrs. Cooke act like they are royalty. She is a real witch!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  7:00:28 PM  Show Profile
Well, since I am on the East Coast, I am probably one of the first to finish watching the Texas Ranch House.

What a disappointment! The Cook Family were not good leaders, nor did they accomplish their agenda. I was thinking that my hubby would have been a much better leader, a man of strength, and a better record keeper for sure. Mr. Cook failed to lead his men and work successfully with his women! I have no respect for him. But, it is only a TV show after all. However, I know my hubby could have done better! :)

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  11:27:55 PM  Show Profile
It was a total disappointment. I didn't think they would have made it.

Nor do I think that had this really been the 1860's that they would have had good relations with other hands and owners. Especially with the way they treated the men. Those men would have found jobs on other ranches and word would have spread about how the owner went back on his word in so many ways and his own poor work ethic. That man was a cheat. I wonder what his co-workers in real life are thinking.

Man that house was a sty.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  05:12:49 AM  Show Profile
I have just finished reading all of your posts and couldn't agree more! I watched the "final" episode last night and was amazed that the Cooke's thought they'd done such a fine job. I thought it so sad that the daughter was so upset that her daddy didn't get good remarks from the experts (who rightly blame him for the eventual demise of the ranch)...GROW UP! PBS seems to really be taking the low road here. These shows are becoming almost formulaic (sp?) and just going for the ratings of people who enjoy watching bickering rather than the ratings of those who expect something of a higher quality and LEARNING from Public Television. If PBS wants to keep me as a viewer of these type shows, they'll have to raise the bar. I think I'll write to them and attach the link to this topic so they can see what so many of us are saying!
Sharon
PS The flies!!

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  09:56:46 AM  Show Profile
I just sent a rather scathing letter to PBS on the feedback area that Carla told us about. I just think that show was junk and that PBS needs to know how people feel about it.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  4:45:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for providing the link! I wrote them my opinion, which was not favorable at all. I am a great fan of their "Frontier" series and think that was in a different class. You could actually learn something there. This TX Ranch House was almost like a "Survivor" knock-off. Big thumbs-down from me.
I agree that they need to know how people feel about the series, specially people from this website, i.e. farmgirls/farmpeople ( if at heart).

Think Lovingly
Go to Top of Page

Colorado Cowgirl
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

1 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  4:53:42 PM  Show Profile
HI,
After reading all your postings, I just want to point out that a handful of the participants on TRH came away with a life changing experience. My husband was one of the cowboys and we were completely heartbroken at watching the finale last night. It was so sad to see someone who threw himself into this project be so hurt by the storytelling and comments made by the ranch owners. I have to say that you are not the only ones disappointed with the way the show came off. I have only seen my husband that angry a few times. Please know that at least one member of the cast got something out of it! I try to remember that if it weren't for TRH I would not have a beautiful horse!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  5:01:21 PM  Show Profile
As far as I'm concerned the ranch owners were both dishonest people. I felt sorry for all the cowboys and was cheering when they finally walked off the job! I'm glad that the Cooke's got a failing grade -- they more than deserved it! I am glad that your husband got so much from being there and that you got a beautiful horse -- he deserves the horse after all the garbage the he had to go through!

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  7:43:52 PM  Show Profile
I watched about 15 minutes of it, since I'd loved the previous ones. This one was awful. Ah well, maybe they'll do another.

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  9:59:58 PM  Show Profile
Colorado Cowgirl...thanks for posting. I am glad your husband got something from the experience. I think we all loved the cowboys and valued them. I could not quite figure out why Jared had to buy himself back from the Indians. If he worked for the Cooke's it seems to me that they should consider the value of their ranch hand and want him back. It would surely feel good to know that your boss cared enough for your life to pay a few bucks for you. I think I would work alot harder for someone who showed they cared for me. I do not blame Jared for walking off.
It was hard to believe that the familyleft unwashed dishes sitting around for days! That is just nasty! No wonder there were flies everywhere!
Also, if there were veggies rotting in the garden why did they not share them with their cowboys? It seems the better they are feed the better they perform.
I was amazed that the cowboys could withstand that kind of heat when they were out and about looking for cattle. That's impressive!

Pamela

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  07:18:52 AM  Show Profile
I admired the cowboys for sure. They were a wonderful bunch of guys. When left to themselves, they got along and worked hard, and really looked like the real deal.

Colorado cowgirl, I am glad your hubby got that beautiful horse; he earned it. And paid for it himself. Hurray for him, and thanks for letting us know he was on the show!!! That is cool!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  8:49:32 PM  Show Profile
I had no beef with the cowboys. They worked their butts off and were the reason the ranch made any money at all. That they all left as one showed their loyalty. To stick it out until the final breach of trust shows their perseverance.

Please tell your husband that he and the other cowboys have my respect and admiration. They were the one positive of this series.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Texas Ranch House on PBS this May Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page