Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Texas Ranch House on PBS this May
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Texas Ranch House on PBS this May Next Topic
Page: of 3

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  3:13:26 PM  Show Profile
If you liked Colonial House, 1900 House, Frontier House and the others there is going to be a new one airing this spring, May 1-4, called Texas Ranch House.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/ranchhouse

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  3:27:31 PM  Show Profile
Susan, Thanks for the heads up!! I was just dicussing Colonial house with my son last week and wishing for another show! That's great news! Luzy

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  3:52:06 PM  Show Profile
Susan, I lllllooooovvvvveeeeeddd all those shows. We've taped them and watched over and again. My kids love shouting out what the people are doing wrong. They also sneer at all the things they wouldn't want to do....like go after that cow in the snow and then have to milk her!

Texas Ranch House came here to Houston for auditions. I begged and begged my hubby to go. He kinda wanted to but really knew he couldn't take off work for that long. But, my best friend went down there and went through 3 auditions. She and her husband have 6 children, they homeschool and are big time campers. After seeing 3 of the interviewers they just had a feeling they would be called. I had such mixed feelings. I was so happy for her and yet sooooo jealous. I made her promise that if she got to have someone come visiting it had better be me!
Sadly, they weren't asked to be a part of the show....so close and yet so far!!!! I think what went against them was that they were such a good interview....they are polite, well spoken, intelligent, and their kids are well mannered and although they range in age from 6 to 18, the siblings treat each other with great care and love. Bottom line, my friend's family would have gotten along just fine out there. I think the "show people" wanted a little more controversy and greener folks to make for good t.v.

I will be watching!!

Blessings!
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  4:35:32 PM  Show Profile
I'll be watching for this one. I think you are right about the producers looking for "controversy" and "greenhorns". I had some real problems with the attitudes and behaviors of some of the Colonial House and Frontier House people. I think if you are going to do something like this, you should go for it 100%.Oh well, they didn't ask my opinion...and I'll still watch.
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  4:42:25 PM  Show Profile
Good point, Sharon. If we really want an experiment in reality then it should be a group of people that know what they're doing and truly live the authentic lifestyle for those months.

I'm with you, I'm still gonna watch.

Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  08:33:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Susan, I love watching those programs. I'll be looking forward to seeing it. As for the type of people the producers choose, it's all about ratings. They always seem to find someone everyone will love and someone everyone wants to see fall flat on their face. I always feel sorry for the people when they have to leave. They're so sad and know they have to go back to their old lifestyles. Maybe they should start a new show..."Farmgirls In Action".
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  08:54:37 AM  Show Profile
Goody, I love these programs. I do agree that the producers are looking for people who will have struggles. I guess that is what make for ratings. Most of the people who actually pioneered had at least some experience, even if they had no farm experience, they certainly didn't live the way we live in this modern age.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  06:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
Yes, I loved frontier house, but noticed that the people who DID get along well and enjoy it got approximately NO airtime!! That's so cool, Catherine, that you know someone who auditioned! My fiance and I didn't find out until just after they were over... :(. Oh, well. Probably wouldn't have made it... I'm way too much of an optimist!
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  03:48:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Lacy... nice to meet ya'.

This thread has spurred my family into talking about the shows....sharing our favorite or funniest happenings. I remember feeling so sad for days after the young lady who was engaged to a young man back home and during the time she was living there he was killed in a car wreck.

The ickiest thing was when the newlyweds had mice running around their home and the husband got so brave to just stomp on them. Yuck!

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  3:32:56 PM  Show Profile
I taped them and watch them again too. I liked Frontier House best. I wish they would have made it 2-4 hours longer.

I remember reading somewhere that the animosity between the two families in Frontier House was fueled by the camera crew's. They would go back and forth between the families and bait and gossip.

I was very disappointed in Colonial House. Too much 20th century attitude all around.

The only one I haven't seen was 1940's house.

Edited by - Susie Q on Jan 06 2006 3:35:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  04:49:41 AM  Show Profile
Is PBS on satalite tv? I've always wanted to watch these shows but don't have the channel? We have DISH network, the cheapest package, I"ve never seen any PBS channels? Darn!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  09:41:40 AM  Show Profile
We are lucky enough to get PBS without cable here...one of the pbs channels anyhow..there are like 3 if you get cable. We turned our cable off a couple months ago..hooray...and I do miss the PBS..one of the channels seemed to have the best shows..BUT ...this one does have Sesame street at midnght!! No lie! Wierd huh? I am hoping they are the one that will air this show..I really like these type alot. I did get a chance to "chat" with the woman on Frontier house with the dark hair and the husband she didn't get along with...on another forum. She said that there wasn't nearly as much friction as it looked like..they really edited out lots and lots of stuff and that they left out stuff that would have been interesting too but oh well. She seemed like a great gal. Her and the husband went their separate ways afterwards..mostly because he just wasn't able to be a father to her kids. She came off as really brash and bossy, but you know what....I can relate to that more than being helpless and silly I guess. I don't think she was nearly as bad as they made her look either..just that they wanted that character. Her daughter was amazing with the animals!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HomesteadHerbs
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Christine
Hockley TX
27 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  12:58:24 PM  Show Profile  Send HomesteadHerbs an AOL message  Send HomesteadHerbs a Yahoo! Message
When they were calling people to audition my daughter begged me to go (she's 15 years old and loves horses!). I couldn't take that much time off. Then I was laid off beginning of April and stayed home for 3 months. My daughter kept making comments like, "We could have done the Texas Drive Mom!"

These shows are so political that it was one of the major issues which stopped me from pursuing it. It'll be interesting to watch. I don't have cable or antennae's so I'm going to have to have someone tape it for me.

Growing, using, and learning about herbs. Living a Godly simple life!
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  5:37:29 PM  Show Profile
I, too, loved the previous attempts at modern day folks trying to figure it all out in Frontier House, especially. I had read an article on how the houses from the show had been moved to a little town near where the filming took place. So on a trip through Montana about two years ago My dh, son and I went through the town. I think it was Virginia City. I absolutely loved it. My hubby and son were not as thrilled, but they let me have my fun looking around and taking pictures. What was especially neat was that this a really old town (kinda like a ghost town), but people still live there. There was a little diner type place, a hotel, and museum. sp? It was late on a Sunday afternoon, so some places were closed. There were some other old buildings you could look through the windows of and it was like the people just walked off and left things. The Mercantile was the most interesting to me. I wanted so badly to go inside and snoop around. I even got a craft idea from something I saw hanging in there. I just told my husband the other day I am going to go back there and spend more time looking around, maybe with some friends who would also like to do the same. It was probably about five hours from us, here in No. Idaho. I will look and see if I can find some photos and try to post them over the next few days. The privy was even there! :)
Maybe my MaryJane Chapter gals would like to take a day trip...as we all like antiques.
Anyway, just my two cents worth on Frontier house. I have been so busy over the last three months I had not read much or posted on the Connection. I missed it! But crafting is how I make part of my own money, so I have to work on making and selling in the fall.
Does anyone know about the PBS series that MaryJane was interviewed for during her Farm Fair last summer? I had thought it was going to air in September, but heard nothing. Hope I did not miss it.

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  4:03:54 PM  Show Profile
If anybody is interested the companion book to Frontier House is on sale for $3.95 at Edward R. Hamilton. It was originally $29.00. THe book's order number is 5226562.

http://www.edwardrhamilton.com/

History International is showing Outback House, A Sheep farm in the Australian Outback in the 1800's. IT runs on Wednsday nights and sunday mornings.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  5:20:24 PM  Show Profile
I just checked it out and will be sending in my order for the book tomorrow..how exciting to get the book so cheap! Even with postage it is only $7.45...can't beat that!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  05:14:31 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Susie!! Thanks for the tip on the book....you are a wealth of great info!!

I was flippin' channels and stopped on that Outback House....it was so interesting. My kids walked in the room and just saw the scenery and said, "Oh, is Frontier House on again?" Then I told them it was a show based in Australia....we loved listening to the accents. It was a bit weird, though....I think of our own American pioneers and don't consider other countries dressing the same way during those years.

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2006 :  9:10:39 PM  Show Profile
What's nice about Edward R. Hamilton is that it doesn't matter if you order 1 book or 15 it's still just $3.50 for shipping and handling.
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2006 :  8:13:25 PM  Show Profile
Just bumping this because it start in a few days. May 1-4 on PBS.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/ranchhouse/
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  4:06:09 PM  Show Profile
I was so in love with Colonial House....can't wait for Texas Ranch House!
Not sure if any of you girls have access to any British TV, but up in Canada we get a fair bit from the BBC and Channel 4.
Anyhoo, they've done a couple shows with the same kind of idea as Frontier House and Colonial House. In one, they put a family in 18th Century Victorian England...in the other one they put about 12 families in early middle age England (around 1100 AD). I can't remember what these shows were called.
And as for Canadian-made shows, we've had "Pioneer Quest" (very similar to Frontier House) and also "Quest for the Bay", where people were living like 17th century fur traders, navigating their way through the Canadian Sheild into Northern Canada.
I love these types of shows!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  8:03:37 PM  Show Profile
I wanted to get this back to the top so we could chat about the first 4 hours of the show. I really didn't look around the forum to see if y'all were chatting someplace else.

Anyway, are y'all watching it? We're watching and taping. I've got a few observations and opinions. But, before I start ranting on I just wanted to know if anyone else wants to comment.

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  05:10:20 AM  Show Profile
I saw it last night for the first time. I will have to wait for the reruns to watch from the beginning. I have watched all of the others they did and found them facinating. The thing I have a hard time with is the participants not willing to partake in a true to life portrayal.
They signed up for this and went through all of the training that lead up to the show and then decide that they aren't going to play it for real.
They seem to have way too much time on their hands especially the women. The wife would never be able to tell her husband how to run the hands and a man would never have given away the hands whiskey to buy his women toiletries. The hands would have worked the entire daylight hours, in fact farmers today work the whole daylight hours.
Those were my observations from last night and the programs in the past although the examples of non-participation would be different. In the colonial settlement the woman who refused to go to church made me angry. I do not go to church but if I signed up to participate in a colonial settlement I would have to to participate in the reality of the day. If she did not want to play the period correctly then she should not have signed up. There was a long list of people who wanted to be on the show and they missed out. She could have just gone and not listed or knitted or something, instead of making a big deal out of it. She must not have been secure in her own beliefs or it would not have made a difference. Her husband who seemed secure in his went and continued to believe whatever he wanted in his heart.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  07:57:43 AM  Show Profile
Marianne, You've said it all very well. I also think this current show is not doing a good portrayal of real life. These people seem to have taken their modern thinking with them and are trying to impose that thinking on that time period instead of just settling into the roles and living it out. You're right....the whiskey would never have been taken away, work would have been done all day long and without all that complaining, and the women would have been focusing on meals and laundry, etc..... I loved the past shows....the people seemed to even talk about what would have been done and then they tried to live it out.

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  10:45:48 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you two. I couldn't believe the family took the ranch hands' saddles to go for pleasure rides in the morning and just couldn't understand why the hands were upset about it. The wife keeps harrassing the husband about how the hands don't respect her and bla bla bla. The husband caves in. I agree, if you sign up to do this type of thing, you should put your all into participating in things as they would've have been done at the time. It's supposed to be a learning experience. I really don't know if I want to watch any more of it.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  11:18:29 AM  Show Profile
Well put ladies, I am a little disappointed with the people on this show. You never really see them doing anything other than hangout and arguing. I wish they would have showed more of them doing chores and things.

Remember what you now have was once among the things only hoped for.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  11:39:57 AM  Show Profile
I totally agree with the criticisms expressed in the posts above. Especially the big "church/no church" fight in Colonial House. Part of the historical reality of the setting is the fact that it was before "separation of church and state", and that church attendance was mandatory under the laws of the colony.

I'm watching Texas Ranch House (and staying up way later than I should to do so!), but I'm starting to get bored with these shows. Like Rose says above, I wish they would show more about the actual work of the ranch and less bickering about who's not showing enough "respect" to whom. I've been hearing a lot lately (in regards to the high murder rate in my hometown) about the exaggerated craving for "respect" that gets marginalized young black men into trouble. Guess that need is shared by upper middle class executives and students as well!

I'm sad that my interest in the shows is waning, because I absolutely loved Frontier House with a passion. In fact I've got a funny story about how much I loved it, which I'm going to post separately...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Texas Ranch House on PBS this May Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page