kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  4:27:04 PM  Show Profile
I just drank the last of my goat milk. I am so sad. I dried up all the goats but 2 of them and was just milking them once a day. Then when I had to go to Memphis last week, I had to quit milking altogether. It's a very strange feeling to not have to milk goats but also nice to not have to hurry up and get out early on a freezing cold morning to milk. I will miss it, but will be back at it by the end of April, hopefully.

So now I'm back to buying cow milk from my friend. It's just not the same though.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  5:33:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kristin- at least you can buy it from a friend! But no- it's not the same! *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  1:33:16 PM  Show Profile
Kristin its really is nice having the goat milk. Mine finally dried up about the beginning of December. I am enjoying the break but now I have to buy milk from the store. Its like pulling teeth going to the diary case and buying milk. I have trouble with cow milk so I dont' drink much of it.Your so lucky you can buy from a friend !!!

My first kids will be born in the middle of March. Hopefully in April I can start getting some for us. At least my chickens are laying. We have had such severe (-4 and - 8) cold the past 2 weeks I am amazed that some of them kept laying. I have a mixture of old and new chickens. I don't put lights on them I just let things go natural in that way. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  5:42:35 PM  Show Profile
I am jealous that I still have to milk early in the cold and you don't...no just kidding!! My family goes through SO much milk that I hate when I have to buy it at the store! We have been going through 2 gallons a day!!! I rarely drink more than a small glass of milk a day..but boy the kids can put it away!!! (husband too) so it does save lots of $$ plus..fresh milk is so much better.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  7:21:18 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I know what you mean about the break. It is nice. But I sure do hate to have to buy milk when I'm so used to just going out and milking. I don't usually dry mine up til the end of Feb. but for some reason they all started slowing down sooner. All are healthy right now. Maybe they just needed a break too.

We'll start having kids the end of April. That's a long time away. I am so tempted to look for a goat in milk to buy right now. But I guess I'll wait. I like the cow milk, but prefer the goat. And I do chickens the natural way, too. I guess I just don't have much sense when it comes to figuring out lights and feed rations and all that.

Hey Jenny. I haven't seen you on here in awhile. Looks like you're busy milking! My goodness, ya'll go through the milk. But we could go through a good gallon a day when we're all here. My friend has 2 Jerseys now, so she has a lot of milk, so I am helping her out, too. I bet it is cold way out yonder in Utah. We actually had a nice fairly warm day today. But the rains coming.

How many goats do you have, Linda? Are they all Nubians? Thay're so cute with the long floppy ears. I miss the ears in the Lamancha but that's what I have. I love my goats.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  7:33:26 PM  Show Profile
Kristin
I have 2 Nubians from Linda's line & they are gorgeous!! I love my goats to death! They are so fun & have such great personalities. They just turned 2, & I have not bred them yet. Since they are not around any bucks, I have a hard time pinpointing their heat. I thought one of them was in heat yesterday, cause she was vocal in the morning, but after feed she was quiet. I tickled her right above her tail & she didn't seem to be too interested. I need to get a buck rag from Linda so I know for sure. Can't wait to get milk of my own. But even if they never have kids, I will still love them & are thankful that they are in our lives. Love the floppy ears too, & the long Roman noses.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  8:00:19 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, I have a Nubian, too, but she's got some Togg in her. Her ears kind of stick out and she reminds me of the Flying Nun. I should have named her Sally, but the granddaughter wanted her name to be Sandy. Pretty close anyway.

I just get a buck when I'm ready for them to be bred and keep him in with them a month. I think all but 1 are bred now. And that's ok because this particular doe I don't want to have kids anymore. She's almost 8 and I don't really know what I'm going to do with her.

I sold my last buck today! I had let someone borrow him to breed her does and they have just fallen in love with him. SO when she called the other day she asked if I'd sell him and I said yes. I know he will have a good home with her and her girls. I like to know that my animals will be in a good place when they leave here. And I am happy that he will be.

Have fun with your girls! Kris

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  05:30:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kristin,

I have 17 Nubian goats........way to many for my barn space and they are all Nubians. I wish I had a flat space on our property to build a bigger barn. We live on hills.I have 6 bred for the spring. Some of my girls are 10 and 11 years old and have been retired and have 6 young ones from last year that I will hold over until fall.I also have 2 bucks. I usually sell out of my kids but with the economy this year it didn't happen and I won't let them go to the stockyard,there to nice for that and I don't like to send anything to our stockyards here. Thats a rough place.

A friend of mine use to have Lamanchas and they are the sweetest goats I have ever been around. If I get into a second breed I would get them. They are just super. Hers were all white but they used a colored buck and the babies were patched.

I love my goats so much. They are spoiled and they rule my life.
Speaking of goats I need to go out and do chores. Its only 6 degrees this morning so i will be packing hot water out again this morning. Take care. Hug those earless wonders for me !!

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  2:23:12 PM  Show Profile
I guess I'll just have to hang on to my Abby goat, then. I'm afraid she'd end up at a butcher and I will not take my girls to a stockyard. I've been to a few and they are so mean to the poor terrified animals there. I can't stand to go anymore.

She is filling out a bit more each day, so she probably is pregnant. Which is ok, I'll just have to bottle feed hers. But she's the best milker I've ever had. The folks that just bought my buck came over today to look at my stanchions to see how to make one and I used Abby to show how the goat gets up and how to get the head thing to work. The lady even tried to milk her a little. Of course there was just a tiny bit, but she kind of got an idea of what it's like. But Abby was so good. Very friendly and very much a people goat. All mine are friendly and hang out at the fence to be petted. But Nubians are so cute with the ears.

I am so ready to go find a goat in milk. It takes a lot of getting used to not to have milk all over the place and drink as much as I want. Now I have to ration it because I don't want to have to buy 5 gallons a week. And ya'll know how that is, when you don't have it that's all ya want.

Kris

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic No more milk. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page