Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 anyone else have gluten-free kids?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic anyone else have gluten-free kids? Next Topic  

susanreno
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Susan
West Chester PA
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  7:48:54 PM  Show Profile
We just found out that our twin daughters (2 yrs. old) tested positive for the Celiac anitbody in their blood. This wasn't a huge surprise, my mom, sister and aunt all have Celiac disease. But, the reality of raising them gluten-free is starting to sink in and I'm trying to take it day by day.

Anyone else in this boat?? Right now I'm starting to put my pantry through "detox" - removing all the gluten products I can so I don't accidentally contaminate something I give to my kids. I also got a few cookbooks from the library and will soon begin the trial and error process of baking pizza, bread, etc with gluten-free recipes. Any words of wisdom and advice, web sites, etc would be greatly appreciated. I did see that post recently about alternative flour mixes, that seems like it will be really helpful.

Thanks,
Susan

MuslinBunnies
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Tina
Franklin NH
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  06:39:49 AM  Show Profile
Hello Susan!

I don't have children, but I am gluten intolerant. There are a lot of things out there that are naturally gluten free and the beauty of raising children that way from such a young age is that they don't miss the little Debbie snacks and Ritz crackers (like I do).

There is a wonderful forum that you should check out. It's called the Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Forum. I have been a member there since I found out that I cannot eat gluten three years ago. The people there are very nice and helpful. Here is the link: http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?

One word of wisdom... If you use bean flours, make sure they cook all the way through. I baked a birthday cake with a bean flour mix when I was first diagnosed. It came out tasting like Robitussin because it was not fully cooked in the center! How embarrassing that was.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. It can seem daunting at first, but it will eventually become second nature.

Tina A.

My Website: http://muslinbunnies.tripod.com/
My Button Quail Site: http://groups.google.com/group/button-quail-planet
Go to Top of Page

susanreno
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Susan
West Chester PA
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  11:37:09 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info Tina! I will definitely check out that forum. It's been really impressive so far to see how much information is out there. I will also remember your advice about bean flours :) Thanks again.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  9:29:40 PM  Show Profile
I signed up for a gluten-free site that sends out weekly recipes for going gluten-free.... the website is livingwithout.com

I need to take myself off gluten... but haven't had the resolve to make it happen!!! We do have a dairy free daughter and that has been hard enough. Good luck.

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  09:08:10 AM  Show Profile
hi susanreno
We have 5 children and 1 on the way. I try to feed all my kids as gluten free as possible...doesn't always happen though since Chris, hubbster, loves italian and takeout pizza. Anyway, I strive to feed them all their meals gluten free. I have not had my kids tested, yet, to see if they are celiac. they are and I am DEFINATELY intolerant of wheat for sure. i lost tons of weight when I finally went gluten free...Feel tons better too. A good site is welltellme.com , great for info and to chat with others on their path to healthy gluten free stuff and ANY health issues...

oh just to add, you may know this already, just do rice meats veggies and fruit first! Lots of one pot meals with potatoes... Oh and when you want to staRT baking, this is what I do, If I could afford it I would keep and huge container of mary janes gluten free mix, but all I do is keep a huge glass container with a glass top on the counter. I fill it with like 3 -4 different kinds of flour. Rice, chickpea, brown rice, tapioca , always some arrowroot, or even coconut. and some xantham gum in the cabinate. As it gets used Ill f\just add a couple packages to the mix and stir a little. I am not a great baker and a bit laxed about baking so I dont care how much of each flour is in there... Just so I can make my morning quick breads and muffins. I get the canisters at Target. LOVE THIS WAY OF KEEPING GLUTEN FREE BAKING, EASY!
Hope I helped at all

I cannot stress enough, dont start by trying to make bread and hard recipes, start by making easy rice dishes, soups, and buying rice crackers... when you do not feel so overwhelmed then make bread.. There is an excellent company called SAMI's Bakery , I think... There they have the most AMAZING bread, made with millet. NO YEAST EVEN!!!!!ITS ALL MY KIDS WANT!!!we get it at a health food store

Edited by - yasmine on Jan 28 2009 09:18:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Michigan Girl in TX
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Kristi
Cottonwood Shores TX
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  5:00:58 PM  Show Profile
Yasmine, thanks for the bread info! I will have to look for that! I have been trying to get the family GF/CF as well.... mainly because of my youngest. I agree it was best to start a little at a time. First I changed all the pasta to rice or quinoa pasta (our favorite!), milk to rice milk or soy, all the cereal to GF, and checking all the labels... you would be surprised what has milk & gluten! Now I am on to baking. It has been the most challenging because it just isn't the same as baking with white flour! My first batch of cupcakes came out about the way your cake did Tina! I have had better luck with cookies! (They actually taste good!) Haven't tried a loaf of bread yet... I will wait for a day I feel really brave!

Kristi
Go to Top of Page

Cowgirl Jess
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Jessie
Post Falls ID
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  7:42:25 PM  Show Profile
Hello I know you've got tons of info to sift through but I just wanted to say you are doing a great job! I have four kids ages 4mo-7yrs, two of them and myself so far have celiac so I know what you are going through. I agree with the others, don't try to make bread yet it's a pain and it is a completely different texture dough than regular wheat breads, discouraging at first to try! I have a bnew blog where I am starting to share the trials and successes of learning to feed the family gluten free it's www.glutenfree4goofs.wordpress.com. There isn't a whole lot there yet but I do have some links to my favorite gf blogs (I've been searching the net for over 3yrs). For some quick tips: 1.Tinkyada pasta is a superb texture. 2.Rice Chex are now gluten free but most other store bought cereals have barley malt or just called malt flavor (which is gluten). 3. Progresso soups are labled pretty well and have some non-wheat options so you can still make casserole's and such, since most cream based soups have flour as a thickener. I can't think of anything else right off hand, but you may contact me if you like I'd love to brainstorm with you! Sometimes I feel like I'm going nuts even years after going gluten free! I am by no means a great chef but the family has still go to eat :)

Do not worry about tomorrow, today has enough worries of it's own.
Go to Top of Page

susanreno
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Susan
West Chester PA
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  6:54:01 PM  Show Profile
I've enjoyed reading all the helpful comments and great ideas. Thanks! So far, the transition to gluten-free had gone pretty well. I'm still getting my act together in terms of cooking for them, but the greatest joy is seeing my girls acting so much happier and more energetic, and starting to gain a little weight back. They are also getting along with each other so much better now. They must have really been feeling lousy before this :( I'm just glad we caught it early.

Thanks again for your support farmgirls. Just like with everything else, I guess we always figure out a way to get things done, one way or another!

Susan
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  06:16:51 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
Just wanted to add my 2 cents Susan.

I cannot eat refined foods; it has become my way-of-life (not a diet!). While I cannot eat refined flour, I can eat spelt flour. I use it for my baking. and gravy. Spelt is a protein not a starch. I also cannot eat refined sugars, that means white and brown sugar as well as corn syrup and sucrose so no xantham gum for me as it comes from fermentation of glucose or sucrose.

My 36 year old son could not eat artificial colors or flavor for the first 6 years of his life and my 18 year old son could not tolerate any dairy including casein until he was at least 8 or 9. I sometimes wonder if he should eat it now. With both of my sons, their personality was happy when the troublesome food was not in their diet. My oldest, a daughter, didn't seem to have dietary problems. The boys took after me I guess.

Good luck adjusting to a better way of living. Just keep in mind that it is all in how you think.

LynnMarie

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement

"You may never know what results come from your action. But, if you do nothing, there will be no results" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  07:26:58 AM  Show Profile
I've got a 5yo that has been GF since she was about 18 months. I found that at the really young age, it's not just the bread that is hard to replace for them; it was the snack-y things. All those times when you would give them cheerios that you suddenly can't! That was what was hard to find replacements for! Trix cereal is GF, for times that you need a baggie of snacks....

Check your grocery stores; GF is becoming more and more catered to. Our Safeway has several GF cereals, pizza crust mix, bread mix, pancake mix, flours, 'granola' bars, etc. Our Super Walmart has rice pasta and 'granola' bars as well.

Good luck, I hope your girls start packing on the weight and enjoying their energy!!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Weedy Ways
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Lynn
OH
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  6:24:33 PM  Show Profile
I don't have children but I am gluten free.
I am constantly looking for tips, tricks, quick recipes and gluten free goodies ... the only catch for me personally is I am allergic to corn as well as being celiac (so I have to reconstruct many recipes).
I have enjoyed the glutenfree4goofs blog - I too have a website that has Gluten Free tidbits and help at www.WeedyWays.com.
I am working locally as well as with National Foundation for Celiac Awareness, Celiac Sprue Assoication and Celiac Disease Foundation to raise as much awareness as possible - any thoughts or ideas that you would like to see or have addressed would be great.
I've started a chapter called Gluten Free Farmgirls if you'd like to check it out ... thought we could share additional information including good recipes there too -
Happy & safe eating!

Weedy Ways ~ Lynn (Farmgirl #626)
WeedyWays.com ~ for a healthier happier and better you! Customized herbals, Watkins Products (since 1868!), Nature's Sunshine and Arbonne ... with attention to special needs including Gluten Free!
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  8:02:50 PM  Show Profile
My little one has autism and we are slowly transitioning to a GF diet. I feel better when I cut a lot of it out as well. Whole Foods has some good mixes and foods available. Our Kroger even publishes a list of foods available in the store that are gluten free.

When I have a choice I choose the gluten free version.
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  07:36:05 AM  Show Profile
So glad I found this topic!!! I'm finding out both sides of my family have gluten intolerance and I have been suspecting I am the same but haven't gotten to the doctor to be positive yet. I'm also suspicious of one of my kids being intolerant too. I was wondering the same thing, how to raise gluten free kids without losing your mind! Loved the info already posted, since its almost 3 years old does anyone have any new info to add? Thanks!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  08:58:09 AM  Show Profile
Susan,

It can be very overwhelming and there are a lot of gluten free topics in the kitchen forum. You are doing good by cleaning out your kitchen, don't forget the fridge as soy sauce has wheat too. Start easy on yourself. Meat, veggies, grain that they can eat such as quinoa, rice or the pastas. Baking will come with time. I don't know about others, but I found If I tried to eat "normal" with just replacements I got crazy trying to figure it out, so when I went Gluten free I just cut out baked goods. Now I am adding them back. There are some good cookbooks as some not so good ones.

One thing to keep in mind since they are so young is that they won't miss out on the comfort foods we adults know. (someone mentioned that) So don't kill yourself trying to make everything. Let them grow up on the basics and you will all see a happier time.

Bob Mills has a lot of mixes and even Betty crocker is starting to come out with some. Best of luck,

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/

Edited by - Montrose Girl on Jan 22 2012 09:23:49 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic anyone else have gluten-free kids? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page