melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  12:39:49 PM  Show Profile
Anybody out there looking for a job? I was "downsized" from the clinic I worked at this past April and I have been sending out resumes, going to interviews, etc. for 9-1/2 very long, very humbling months. I had two interviews this week. The last one just this afternoon and I have about given up. I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 7-years and just loved what I was doing.

My last interviewer told me that they were offering $9.30 per hour for a part time position as a (receptionist)... no where near the wage I was making before. My daughter Hannah who is 16, just started working at Perkins for $8.50 and hour washing dishes....It's so frustrating. Sorry ladies just had to vent!!

Thank you dears, for listening.

Melody
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.com

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  12:44:13 PM  Show Profile
Melody,
I know exactly the frustration that you are feeling!!! We can take heart, that things will get better. In that thought is our hope!! I will be praying that you find the right job for you with just the right pay. :)
hugs and prayers,

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Life should NOT be a jounrey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming. "WOOHOO, what a ride!"

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

abbysshadow
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Sherry
Dayton Nevada
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  12:45:44 PM  Show Profile
aww, hang in there, Melody...my sister is worried about her job with the state of 20+ years at the moment... they are consolidating departments and letting lots of people go... it's scary....
prayers and hugs, sherry

...I cannot do all the good that the world needs, but the world needs all the good that I can do...
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  12:47:20 PM  Show Profile
I know what you're going through Melody. I spent 4 years looking for work once just a few years ago. And now the job I found is going away sometime in the next year. Job hunting really gets you down after awhile (well, even just after a few weeks!). But there must be the right job out there somewhere...good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  1:01:16 PM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear about this Melody. I'm hoping that a good opportunity with better pay is just around the corner for you.

(((Hug)))

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  1:22:04 PM  Show Profile
Thank you farmgirls for all the words of encouragement. I really needed it today!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  1:30:16 PM  Show Profile
Melody~I'm sorry to hear about this. It can be so tiring trying to find a good job. Praying things get better soon and you find a good job.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  2:09:11 PM  Show Profile
$9.30 an hour is better than nothing an hour. Maybe you need to lower your standards for living and fit your budget to allow for a cut in pay until you get a better job. I make $12.47 an hour working part time. Unemployment in my county is 10%. I feel very fortunate to have any job. My job is secure according to my boss. I appreciate every dime I can make beyond what DH is making.
Hang in there...
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  2:24:43 PM  Show Profile

Debbie,
I know I should apprecicate any offer for any employment, and I know "Pride goeth before a fall!" It's just that I have worked all of my adult life and I finally reached a point where I found something that I was really good at and couldn't wait to do. It's hard accepting something just for the sake of accepting a job. Pride...

Hanging in there...Melody
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  2:36:44 PM  Show Profile
The Lord closes one door only to open another. Go in faith and He will provide

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  6:38:19 PM  Show Profile
I know I would have a hard time living on $9.30/hour and my standards for living are not real high. It's tough, especially when you are the primary breadwinner for your family. I know when I was looking for work, I had to wonder whether some of the jobs I was applying for would be worth the gas I'd spend driving to them.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  7:36:01 PM  Show Profile
Amie,

Just last spring I was making 16.34 an hour. And, for the little community I live in that was considered a lot of money. We were finally able to go on little trips once in a while with the kids and travel without worrying about actually staying in a hotel once in a while. I don't understand why everything has gotten so expensive and yet wages here are less than they every were before. Is it just too many people applying for the same job? My husband has been with the same family business for 10-years now. Thank God, but I have to work. We cannot make a decent living with two kids still at home on just one income. I have never felt so much pressure to just accept anything especially these last few months of being unemployed. It's a very humbling and scary experience for me especially since I have never had trouble getting a job in my field before now. It's scary.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  8:05:58 PM  Show Profile
Melody,

Know that you are not alone, I just got laid off yesterday. It wasn't unexpected, I've known either I would go or they would send me so I had plenty of time to prepare. I know that things happen for a reason and that the good Lord wants me to be somewhere else or do something else. I just have be quite and listen for directions.

In the mean time I'm gonna re-evaluate life and see which direction this adventure will take me.

Chin up girl, something will turn up.

BTW - is some kind of on-line transcription an option? Does it have to be a job where you go to an office?
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  10:39:33 PM  Show Profile
Well, ladies, this is the problem. Wages are going lower and the cost of everything else is getting higher. Hmmm. don't know if there is a solution but hopefully the new administration is getting that, or maybe we have to keep fighting to let them know about it.

Melody, I am now 1year and a half out of work. I have pet clients here and there as freelance (Ive been a vet tech for 7 years) and I literally skid all my rent and bills in. I get where you are coming from--some of the money that some jobs are offering here suggest that I must live with my Mama because it would pay squat if I were living alone!! Really, I don't know what these employers think! Well, they probably think someone younger and more gullible will take them, or someone desperate--which is what ALOT of people are, in this economic market.

Hmm, have you ever tried to do transcription from home? There are some companies that need them. Here is a link from a blog friend, all about work at home opportunities: http://companiesthathirehomeworkers.blogspot.com/

Maybe it will help. Don't give up. Hmm, maybe all of us should run away and start a farm co-op? Who's with me?

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
herbals: www.wildatheartherbals.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  02:11:49 AM  Show Profile
Isn't this a horrid truth!? I looked for a job progressively for 8 months or so when I was at home with my Zach when he was a baby. It was terrible. My family needed another income something terrible. And I wasn't able to find a job that payed anything more than childcare for Zach. What's the point of that?! It was a fustrating time. But honestly, I think is was a test from someone above...I prayed a lot during that time and kept trying. Finally I found what my family needed.....

Have faith Melody....I hope a works out ok.
With hugs and determination,
Jamie :)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Check out my blog!! http://bestcoupleintown.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  06:37:04 AM  Show Profile
Would this work for you? This is a company here in town that has been doing this for a long time and appears to be pretty good. Looks like you could work from home as a medical transcriptionist. Forgive me if you've already seen this...not trying to be pushy or anything. :-)

http://spheris.com/careers/mtjobs.php

https://www.ultirecruit.com/SPH1000/jobboard/JobDetails.aspx?__ID=*50475C7E186D0923

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com

groovy stuff 2 buy...http://www.alittlesplurge.etsy.com

Edited by - nashbabe on Jan 21 2009 06:39:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  07:27:15 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Hmm, maybe all of us should run away and start a farm co-op? Who's with me?

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:

I like the sound of that!
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  10:33:35 AM  Show Profile
Wow...I am overcome by the response I am getting. I appreciate your kind words and suggestions!

I did try home transcription as a contract employee and it got to the point where they kept changing what constituted a line.... at 9-cents a 65-character line was when I decided to go back into the work force after I was offered a part-time job at a little clinic not far from my home. I just might have to go back to being a contracted transcriptionist. Actually, I just contacted a lady I used to work with to see if they are hiring.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions and links and kindness.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  3:55:23 PM  Show Profile
Melody, we have our fingers crossed for you, I think because most of us have gone, or are going through the same thing, so we can definitely empathize!

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Looking for a job Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: