Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Favorite sites for heirloom seeds?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Favorite sites for heirloom seeds? Next Topic  

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  1:55:54 PM  Show Profile
I'm finally getting my raised beds built this year and wondering where the best places are to hunt down heirloom seeds? Anyone have any tips?

I don't do "Frankenfood" when I can avoid it so open-pollinated and heritage varieties are what I'm looking for. Seed Savers Exchange and Rareseeds.com both look pretty good so far.

Also, don't have any seeds to trade yet but might be happy to buy some from fellow farmgirls!

Thanks!

~Amanda in OK~

Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered by your old nonsense. -Emerson

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  2:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24908&whichpage=255

Check out all we are doing over at the MaryJanesMaven's thread... TONS of Heirloom discussions.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  08:07:45 AM  Show Profile
Hey amanda....my fave places to get heirlooms are baker creek seeds, and the seed savers exchange, they both have lots and lots to choose from!!!!
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  08:13:31 AM  Show Profile
yep, someone covered my favorite place....bakers creek. Also check out www.localharvest.org. Another is Botanical Interests

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  10:34:53 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hi, Amanda! This is my first year gardening with heirloom seeds. I'm ordering mine from Seed Savers Exchange and Baker Creek. (FYI: Emilee Gettle, wife of Baker Creek founder Jere, just became a farmgirl! Check out the Welcome Wagon thread to see her post.)

To follow up on Rene's post, you can also see what we're doing in the MJ's Heirloom Mavens Henhouse http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/HenHouseSnitz/default.asp?CAT_ID=51 and be watching every Saturday for their newsletter, The Mavens Haven, in the Chapter Chatter forum. It just might make ya wanna join the sisterhood and become a maven. We'd love to have you join us!

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & KMW (Keeper of Maven Words)
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Jan 23 2009 10:37:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  07:49:46 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Good morning, Amanda! The other day I was at our local library and waiting for me on the free magazines tables were two editions of Mother Earth News from 2005. One was the gardening issue and had an article called "Finding Great Garden Seeds." They highlighted three companies: Johnny's Selected Seeds ( www.johnnyseeds.com ), Seeds of Change ( www.seedsofchange.com ), and Baker Creek ( www.rareseeds.com ). They also had a sidebar of "Wonderful Web Sites:" Nichols Garden ( www.nicholsgardennursery.com ) - easy to navigate; Seed Savers Exchange ( www.seedsavers.org ) - for inspiration; Cook's Garden ( www.cooksgarden.com ) - self-explanatory; Territorial Seed Co. ( www.territorial-seed.com ) - clean and simple site & special icon for organic seeds; High Mowing Seeds ( www.highmowingseeds.com ) - where "no question about seed saving goes unanswered."

Thought you might find this information useful as well. Also check out this week's Mavens Haven newsletter in the Chapter Chatter forum.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & KMW (Keeper of Maven Words)
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  09:01:07 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the websites Karen. I can't wait to look through them all. I want to buy more heirloom seeds for my gardens too.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  2:02:49 PM  Show Profile
Last year most of what I bought came from Nichols Garden and Cook's Garden. Everything was great and did well. Our weather wasn't the greatest. I also ordered from Seeds of Change.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  10:14:43 PM  Show Profile
I ordered from a slew of places. Heirloom Acres Seeds, Baker Creek, Nichols, Territorial, Irish Eyes, Bountiful Gardens.
I like quite a variety of groovy heirloom/OP stuff, and am trying out some little cloches and am getting a picking pail since my old wicker basket went and exploded from the weight of zucchini a few years ago. You don't even want to know how many varieties of tomatoes I'll have seeds for after everything comes in... *sigh*

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  11:59:11 AM  Show Profile
Hey, thanks y'all! I can't wait to get started! I also sent my SASE to wintersown.org for free seeds... I know I read that post on the Garden Gate somewhere!

Hopefully next year I'll have some to swap.

Going to get myself over to the Mavens and check that out.

Also noticed that Baker Creek isn't too far from here (Tulsa) and they have a festival every May.

~Amanda in OK~

I made an airplane out of stone. I always did like staying home. -Shel Silverstein

Edited by - DearMildred on Jan 25 2009 12:00:28 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Favorite sites for heirloom seeds? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page