JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  4:12:52 PM  Show Profile
I just got MaryJane's Outpost and have been devouring every word. What a beautiful book! But as much as I love the idea, I can't help wondering is it safe for a woman to go out in the wilderness today? I guess I could see MaryJane doing it back in the 70's (I assume she carried a rifle, too!), but would it be safe in 2009?
I have had a dream of walking the entire Appalachian Trail for about 10 years now. I read an article in a magazine years and years and years ago and was totally fascinated by the idea, and I have wanted to do it all this time. The article really stuck with me. But as much as I want to do it, the fear of axe-wielding hatchet murders keeps me home. You hear stories all the time of women getting attacked in National Parks and such.
What do you all think?

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  4:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I guess I hear just as many stories of women getting victimized in their own homes. I think we need to be equally as pro-active whether in the wildreness or in the city/towns. If it is my time to "go" I guess I would rather do so doing something that I loved, then staying inside thinking that I was safe. I think we do have to be pro active tho and be smart about what we are doing.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)

Edited by - ruralfarmgirl on Jan 18 2009 4:36:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  5:30:37 PM  Show Profile
Unfortunately we only hear about the women who had a problem, not about the many women who have no problem in the wilderness. There are many, many books about woman who successully make the trek. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  5:35:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What I think is that we feel safe at home and even expect a certain amount of violence in a city or even rural setting, though we always feel "That won't happen to us...we lock the doors and have the dog/husband/neighbors etc" So really it is kindof a safety built on being in our Home territory. And there is something to that. We are more likely to build relationships with our neighbors, notice if something seems "off" and we have pretty darn close to immediate access to emergency services.

Out on the trail you are on your own, your aren't in your home territory etc. But I think that crimes in nature are much less that any where else. Unless you have someone stalking you or stalking that particular portion of the trail- it would be completely random whether they "found" a victim or not and as far as I know- most crimes that we worry about are crimes of intense passion (Passionate hate etc), so someone most likely isn't going to go out and stalk a section of the trail and hope that a victim that comes along.

I could be wrong, but most of the crimes I have heard about are instances where the perpetrator followed the victim- often times for several days, and the victim was going back and forth over the same territory in a predictable manner (like a land survey).

I think it is safe for women to be out on their own but anyone- men and women a like need to be aware of their surroundings. If you are concerned carry something to protect yourself with. If you feel comfortable with a side arm, know how to shoot it, and how to carry it safely. Carry bear spray or a stun gun. Have a cell phone or they also have universal satellite phones,GPS/Distress signals that will work anywhere in the world- no dead zones. I saw these on sale at Costco not that long ago and they were very reasonable.

I always take my dog out on the trail with me. She is the biggest lover in the world, but she is also very protective and lets others know it.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  07:05:58 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Alee. I have spent lots of time in the forest here by myself. But, I have always had a weapon with me whether it's my rifle during hunting season or a sidearm in the off season. I've never had to use them, of course. You do have to be aware and probably not get too friendly with any strangers you encounter and most certainly never go anywhere with somebody you don't know even if they say it's an emergency. A cell phone(if there are no dead spots on that trail) or a satellite phone would be perfect. A dog is also a great idea. Dogs are more than willing to explore as long as you want and if there is a problem, the dog can give you a chance to get away. Bear spray is a great alternative to a weapon, if you're not comfortable packing iron.

The other gals are right about the awful stories you hear about. Since they only tell the most fantastic and most gruesome stories they can find for ratings; that is all you're going to hear about. Far more people are attacked in cities and towns than out in the forest. Honestly, I'm more afraid to be in a city than I am in the wilderness.

If you take the proper precautions/equipment you should have a very safe and enjoyable adventure. How many people don't do things or don't fulfill their dreams out of fear? I say go for it and have a great time!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Safety in the Wild Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page