country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  10:56:53 AM  Show Profile
What kind of carrots do you have good results with (growing and canning)? I planted some year before last and they didn't do well at all. They grew extra nubs? and the carrot itself split. I just learned hubby likes cooked carrots and would love to plant some this spring. With the way the economy is now I would like to put up as much food as possible in the fall.

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  11:07:44 AM  Show Profile
Carrots like loamy soil, no clods or rocks, so they can grow long and straight. When thinning use the smaller one in salads just as pulled and continue thinning untill they are the size you want or they are gone. That is for eating. There are so many on the market it can be mind-boggling. The little short nubby ones might be fun for canning. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  12:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Melissa,
My hubby works for Bolthouse Farms and they grow lots of carrots. We grow carrots in very sandy soil. I would look in the seed catalogs and find a variety that works with the soil types that you have as they very so much. You can grow some of the larger varieties if you plan on just canning or cooking them~ but they do vary in sweetness as well.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  06:42:31 AM  Show Profile
Melissa, I have great success with Nantes carrots. They are a medium length, sweet, heirloom carrot. I've only had a few come up out of the ground with "legs" and none have ever split on me. I don't can my veggies as I prefer the taste of frozen so, I can't say how well they can. I think frozen is closer to fresh. Nantes freeze very well and I have been growing them for several years. They do prefer a sandy loam-type soil, free of rocks, for good root development.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  07:25:46 AM  Show Profile
Melissa-We love carrots here too. I have tried many types is the past. My favorite is St. Valery (heirloom), also have grown Danvers Half Long and Nantes with great success. The ones that didn't impress me were some purple ones that I bought one year, they had a low germination rate. Also last year I tried Oxheart (I think that was the name) they are about 3-4 inches long by 2 inches wide. I found them to be pale and flavorless. Do make sure you have the loose soil like the others said. Also I usually plant 2 varieties so when I freeze them I have a variety of flavor.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  08:34:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls for the help. I will have to get some sand and peat moss to add to the garden. Each year I seem to toss out bushels of stones, I swear someone keeps burying them in the fall so I can start over in the spring! I will have to go through my seed catalogs and decide which ones will grow good and will stand upto canning. Thanks again ladies!

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  10:20:51 PM  Show Profile
Yup, sounds like your soil was a bit clay-ey. Either fluff it up with a bunch of compost and a little peat moss, or try growing a variety that's better acclimated to tough soil - one that's short and stout rather than long and skinny. I want to say thumbelina, oxheart, that kind of thing. It's annoying when the winter heaves up a bunch more rocks, isn't it? We have quite a collection of rocks in one spot below our garden - I don't dare go down there.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  07:49:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the planting tips and variety suggestions for the carrots. I would love to grown and juice my own this year. I tried to grow petite baby carrots last year, but I started the seeds too late. I'm hoping for better luck this year.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  7:38:56 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
Hi Melissa,

I am glad that you started this thread. I have also been interested in planting carrots. I am learning a lot by reading this thread. Thank you for posting it!

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  9:32:19 PM  Show Profile
Hello Belle,

I have been looking at my seed catalogs and have decided on two different kinds. The Red Cored Chantenay and The Nantes. Both are heirlooms, I think(if I read the catalog correctly). I just hope I can grow enough to can a couple good sized batches, they will taste great in the middle of winter:)

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  12:48:46 PM  Show Profile
I have grown both of those types and loved them....but HERE we have such bad clay soil that so far I havn't got a good carrot crop. I dont' give up easily though..and each year my garden gets nicer..the soil I mean...so maybe this will be a good carrot year. Good luck with yours!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic carrots Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page