Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 My husband, Charlie, is in the hospital.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic My husband, Charlie, is in the hospital. Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  06:48:28 AM  Show Profile
Hello everyone. I have been in Memphis with my hubby since Wed. this past week. I have not been near a computer since then. He really needs mega prayer right now.

He is diabetic. Has just been on the pills so far. He is also an OTR truck driver. He has done ok so far. But this is just too much for him to handle out there by himself.

So he'd been sick all weekend while he was home. I thought it was just a stomach virus. He was so weak and didn't eat a thing. He said he had some things on his rear end area that were very painful. DD had some antibiotics, so brought them out to him. I know, that's not a good thing, but he's a man, and very stubborn and ya'll know how men are when it comes to that particular area. They are wimps! He got a little better. He had to be in Ms.by 3:00 pm on Monday. I kept telling him he needed to call his boss and tell him he couldn't make it. But no, he had to go.

So he makes it to Ms. and headed back to Ga. and made it to the Memphis terminal. They had to call an ambulance. All his vital signs were ok, so they got him a cab and got him to a hospital asap. That was this past Tues. He was a very sick man. In so much pain, he could barely talk. He usually calls me every night at 9:00, but didn't. So I called him and there was no answer. He called me on Wed. morning. I could hardly hear him, but made out where he was.

So I load up the car, load up hay for the goats and cows and took off to Memphis. It's like 350 miles away from here. Got there just before they took him back to surgery. The poor guy was telling me if he didn't make it he wanted to be cremated, don't put him in the ground. He was that bad. Well, he made it thru that. Put him in a room and they've been taking really good care of him since. I stayed til Sat. and came back home.

I had turned off all the heat when I got up that morning and did not even think to turn it back on. I just thought I wasn't going to be here, so why have it on. Well, it's WINTER! It got to be like 10 degrees in Memphis while I was there and just that cold here. My DD Heather was coming out to feed critters and I got her to turn on heat, but she didn't go next door to the little house. It was frozen solid there. No water here, either. I had stopped at Ace and got a few heaters and heat lamps. Put them under all sinks, on the pipes in the cat room outside and in the laundry by the hot water heater.

About 10:30 I went next door to check there and the water was on!! The toilet was a block of ice earlier. But it's all good now. Then about midnight here the water came on. I was so happy. So far, so good. Got all the animals watered and they're happy now, too.

Anyway, this is so long, but hubby's still in Memphis and will be for awhile. They took the cath. out yesterday and put him on solid food. His blood sugar was very high this morning. BP has been high, too. He's just in bad shape right now. The doctor yesterday said if he had not come in when he did, he would have died. His kidneys had completely shut down. Infection all thru his body because of the sores on his rear end. We did not know about the kidneys. But they are back to normal now! They've been running all kinds of tests on him. He could be there awhile. We also found out that he is not the only diabetic man this has happened to. It is quite common.

So he really needs ya'll's prayers and good thoughts right now. I am just a little afraid of what might happen, but I am trying to take this one day at a time. Not get too far ahead of myself with the worry of it all. And to put it all in God's hands. He is in control and knows what is going to happen.

Thanks for reading all this and for your prayers. It really means alot to me to know I can come here and know there are people who will listen.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  07:29:48 AM  Show Profile
How harrowing this is, I am just glad your husband got the help he needed in time. I know exactly what you mean about men going to the doctor. And then to come home to frozen pipes...this is a lot of stress on you. You take good care of yourself too, and I'll be thinking healing thoughts fot your husband. Keep us updated...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  07:38:40 AM  Show Profile
Kris, Prayers going out right now.

This very time two years ago we went through this with my husband. Life Flight, life support, kidney Dia machine, 49 days in the hospital. It was horrible. But we had hope, there was even a circle prayer of 60 people in the ICU with their love ones in ICU,all just waiting for Hope. We all prayed together.

Every kind of DR, specilist, heart, lungs,kidney, etc. was on him. Most with little outcome. DD and I slept on the ICU floor and cryed and prayed until we fell alseep. Its a very long story with lots of events that happen in that time but the outcome of a true miracle. The last week was the turn around that had Doctors coming to DH's room to see the miracle on the 4 th floor, this the DR's and nurses called it.

DH was full recovery and back to normal within a couple of months of being back home and then back to work.

So Kris, you and your hubby will be in my prayers this day, be strong and get plenty of good foods and rest, brighter days will come. (((hugs)))

Linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/

Edited by - LindaEllen on Jan 18 2009 07:40:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  07:40:22 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, your hubby and you will certainly be in my prayers. If we lived closer together, I'd be doing a lot more than that. Do you have any neighbors who can care for your place and your animals while your away? That's an awful lot to try to do when you really want to be with your sick hubby so far away. Don't forget to take care of yourself, too!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  07:43:19 AM  Show Profile
My goodness Kristin, that was very stressful. But it sounds to me like you handled it like a real trooper. Remember to take care of yourself too, FOR youself and because you are needed. Good thoughts only for your family.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  07:44:22 AM  Show Profile
hugs and prayers.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  07:49:13 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, you and your husband are in my prayers. I'm so sorry to hear about this. I hope that your husband is feeling better and back home with you soon.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  08:03:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kristin- I am so glad he got taken to the hospital! How scary! I too hope he gets a full recovery!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  09:16:37 AM  Show Profile
Kristin- How frightening! I'll be praying that he has a full recovery and also that things will be less stressful for you.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  09:29:34 AM  Show Profile
Kris,
I will most defintily keep your Charlie in prayers! I know it is a scary thing and so stressful, but Praise God that He is in control even when the things in our lives seem impossible!
You both are in my prayers, Charlie for healing and comfort and you for rest and peace of heart.
Love and Hugs,

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Life should NOT be a jounrey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming. "WOOHOO, what a ride!"

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  09:30:38 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, I am so sorry to hear about your "Charlie" Please know I am praying for him and you.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  09:43:39 AM  Show Profile
Kristin- My gosh! What a wake up call! I'm glad he is doing better. Diabetes is nothing to fool with. You will both be in my prayers.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  12:04:02 PM  Show Profile
Praying for you! That was a hard time! I hope each day gets better.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  12:05:31 PM  Show Profile
My thoughts and prayers are with you, and with Charlie, Kristin - what an ordeal!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  1:43:30 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the much needed prayers.

Yes, we have the neighbors across the road who came and made sure the heat was on. But it got down so cold it didn't help without some extra heat. And several people from church have offered to help. Right now everythings good here. It's just hard for me to have to depend on others. It's hard to ask.

Linda, what a great outcome for your hubby. And Karen, I do believe this is a big wake up call. For both of us. Things will be a lot different from now on. Any little thing, he'll be going to a doctor.

He may be coming home in a few days. The doctors there say the same things can be done here for him as an outpatient. And being home with family will mean so much to him. And will speed up his recovery, too, to have his family and friends around him.

I'll keep this updated. It helps to write things down for me.

Thanks again, Kris

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  4:30:52 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, I'm sorry to hear that your husband is sick. But whew! Sounds like everything turned out as well as it possibly could have. I'm so glad he made it to his destination without crashing the truck. And that he got to the hospital in time to pull through. And especially that his kidney function came back. My fil had kidney failure, and being on dialysis long term is just awful. Take good care of those kidneys! I'll be thinking of you both as he recovers and I'll pass the word on to my friends who pray.
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  7:05:51 PM  Show Profile
Kristin,
I am so glad that he lived through it all and that they want to send him home soon to get well in outpatient mode.
Hugs to you, for that is an awful lot to take in, plus to deal with cold weather as well. Hugs dear girl and prayers definitly going up.

www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  9:55:51 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I will be praying for you and your DH Charlie. God lets things like this happen to us to test our faith and to make changes in our lives. I hope this strengthens your faith and helps you make changes for you and your husband.
God bless you both.

Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  06:50:11 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, I'm so glad to hear he's coming home soon. I know how you feel about asking for help but in such an emergency, I can't imagine anyone having a problem with helping out.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  09:09:32 AM  Show Profile
Good morning. I am having a really hard time with my computer the last few days. It is slower than slow and driving me crazy. So that's why I have not been on here.

I talked to Charlie this morning and he sounds alot more rested. But now they are not sure as to when he'll be getting out. With the long ride home, almost 6 hours, they might want to wait a little longer now. I called his doctor here and I guess they are off today. I told them a little and hopefully I will hear from them Tues. and go from there on this end.

I really do appreciate all the good thoughts and prayers. And bear with me on this machine. If you hear some noises, it's just me getting annoyed at the slowness.

Everything's good here. The weather is not as cold. It got to almost 55 yesterday! I got to use the well water to water the animals! And washed a load of jeans, too. Our washer is on the back porch with the drain routed outside to the goat yard. So it freezes up. I have to wait for it to thaw to wash clothes.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  09:20:45 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kristin, I am so sorry to hear about this, I am very glad that he is ok now, and will pray for both of ya'll.....Let us know how things are going, Kelley
Go to Top of Page
  Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic My husband, Charlie, is in the hospital. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page