Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Live near the Amish? Next Topic  

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  6:47:36 PM  Show Profile
I just want to remind those that live in an area that there are Amish families to search around and see if there is a bent and dent or salvage store that they run. There are a couple in our area and you can find all types of food, animal food, household products for cheap. Stores that have dented cans, out of date products, or decide no longer to sell a brand often send those items back to a warehouse. The warehouse often sells huge boxes to these bent and dent stores for a price per pound basis. So the inventory is always changing and they never know what they are going to get in.
We have a couple of these stores around here and one is within reasonable driving distance that we go about once a month. I often find organic/natural dog and cat food for cheaper than what you pay for Alpo in the stores. So I do get a lot of our pet food there. We also find a lot of snack foods for cheap (beef jerky, animal crackers, my husband wants the pop tarts, etc.) as well as canned goods, toilet paper, and all sorts of things. It is kind of like going on a treasure hunt when we go there. Once they had squeezeable Coromega fish oil packages in a box for kids. I had been looking for those for my kids so bought the last box for $1...I later saw this at a drug store priced at $22!!! There are often times organic items, items that aren't found in our area (like White Lily Flour), etc. So ask around if you live around the Amish to see if there is one near you. I just happened to hear about this store from my cousin or else we would never have known about it since they don't advertise. You can go there and stock up and get a cartload of stuff for like $35!!
-Elizabeth

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  05:36:37 AM  Show Profile

We have several stores like that around in our area without the Amish. They are called discount groceries but my DH calls them the bump and dent stores. That's one of the things I like to do for entertainment because you never know what you will find. I took one of my friends last week and she was amazed at how good it was. I think it must be a lot of overstocks; they have natural foods, regular groceries,cleaning products vitamins, even some baby foods. I have very rarely bought something there that was outdated.I love it!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  07:13:54 AM  Show Profile
Anybody know of any near St. Louis, Missouri? Sounds like fun!
Go to Top of Page

createmyworld
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Beth
Akron PA
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  1:43:18 PM  Show Profile
I live in Lancaster county PA, which many know as Amish/Mennonite territory. We have many of those types of stores here. This is how dh and I are able to live as comfortably as we do on one income. We have also found about 6 others in areas of the state where we travel to frequently throughout the year, so we try to hit any we can wherever we go. We keep a storage area in our basement filled with goods and a full sized freezer, as many of the deals found in these types of places are on limited supply (so you grab the deals when you see them, as they may be gone next time you go). You have to watch the dates on things but it really does cut the grocery bills and allows you to eat better (many organic items, including fruits,veg,meats and dairy) at bargain prices. Not to mention, we often find items that we've never seen or tried before (sometimes artisan cheeses too).... if you don't know of any in your area, do some research and see if you can find a discount grocery near you.
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  09:25:56 AM  Show Profile
In the past year and a half there have been 15-20 Amish fmailies move to our area of SE Ohio. All the families offer baked goods and candles and one has opened a small feed store.. Wonder how long it will be till we will see one of these stores open near here....It sounds great!
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  1:58:23 PM  Show Profile
There's a Mennonite family near my hometown in eastern Ohio that runs a tiny little bulk foods store, too - SUCH a great place to get good deals on spices (especially old-fashioned and harder to find ones) and flours, etc.

~Amanda in OK~

Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered by your old nonsense. -Emerson
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  5:41:32 PM  Show Profile
Oh man we have TONS of Amish in our area and they have the BEST bent and dent. BB's grocery outlet. Ready for this mouth full....Ben Bylers bents, bumps and bunches of bargains!! Yeah. I think they have 4 stores all in PA but we LOVE em'. Amish stores are the best. They are great people really. When I was working as a midwife we worked with a lot of Amish.
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  07:05:16 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth- I've never heard of this! Where is the store that you go to? I wanna go!

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/

http://plumcreekcreations.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  10:26:34 AM  Show Profile
Heather,
The one we go to is near Edgewood, I can give you basic directions if you want to e-mail me. It takes about 20-25 mintues to get there from Manchester and should be about the same for you. There is one in Hazelton that we go to every once in awhile in summer. You have to watch the dates on items (I only buy things if they are just a little out of date by a month or two or some have perfectly good dates that don't expire until later this year or next year).
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  5:30:39 PM  Show Profile
We went to the Amish store again today and stocked up on a lot of things at good prices. Hubby and I talked and we are going to put up shelving in a small area of the basement for extra pantry stuff...that way we can have a bit of a stockpile of food items. Today I got a lot but the best deals were:
*Herbal teas that I buy in healthfood store for $4.99 for just $1.25 a box. Got several of the Red Raspberry leaf tea that I drink all the time.
*Newman Organic popcorn for 75 cents a box, which I see in the store for over $3.50
*A box of organic Clif protein bars (12 bars) for $2.50. Love these for when I am on the go and need something to eat.
*Lots of small bags of organic cookies and crackers for 10 cents each. Hubby likes these in his lunch and the kids like to snack on them.
*Cans of Iams wet dog food for 50 cents each.
*Buckwheat pancake mix, quaker oatmeal, and much more. We got a shopping cart full for 45.00.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  10:58:21 PM  Show Profile
Wow! That's awesome! I emailed you!

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/