Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Portable vegetable frames... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  4:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am trying to come up with a way to make some portable frames for a portable garden. That way, when we move, I can take them with me. Any ideas??? I live in an apartment and have some pots, but want more gardening space. I would like to make them light weight but sturdy, in case we move in the middle of growing season.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  6:03:21 PM  Show Profile
Maybe some raised beds with wheels?? By the time you add soil, it will be quite heavy, so wheels may help in transporting.
Go to Top of Page

LisaLu
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Lisa
Wildomar Ca
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  4:23:36 PM  Show Profile
Anything that will hold dirt, with holes in the bottom (for drainage) will work. Wheel barrels, bathtubs, plastic bins, wood boxes, plastic bags (I grow my potatoes in large plastic bags, easy to harvest, and I put the soil in the garden as an ammendment.) Get creative, even an old pair of boots would work!
LisaLu

Happiness is homemade...
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  10:13:43 PM  Show Profile
Heather, what about trying milk crates. They will get heavy to some degree with soil added but if you have a guy help you move they could tote it, or you could stack them on a dolly if your plants aren't too mature yet when you move.

Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  12:42:55 PM  Show Profile
Heather, the Square Foot Gardening book has lots of ideas for simple raised beds in all shapes and sizes, and you can just put them together with deck screws. We're making some right now out of scrap lumber. But I think you'd be able to unscrew them and put them back together again at your new place if you were careful. That way they'll pack flat!

~Amanda in OK~

Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered by your old nonsense. -Emerson
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  7:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I agree with Amanda. In Mel Bartholomew's book The Square foot gardener he addresses this with several styles of low box frames. If you go to his website www.squarefootgardening.com and check into his "special needs gardening" section he has a table style box. A couple of those would give you lettuce, spinach etc. and then come planters that are deep and portable would be perfect for tomoatoes and squash...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Portable vegetable frames... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page