julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  11:14:46 AM  Show Profile
We've had 2 weeks of really mild thawing weather. Things are muddy and soft. I went out to the gardens and did some weeding. It felt so great since I wasn't able to do much of that this Fall. I feel like I'm catching up. I know it is bad to walk around on the soil when its this soft, but I just couldn't help myself!!!!!! Its been a grand morning!
blessings, Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  11:19:48 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Lucky you! I will spend today shoveling the drive after a good 10 inches of the white stuff fell last night. Will my back survive?
Blessings- Beth

May you achieve your full potential to excel intellectually, to live spiritually, to lead responsibly, to act justly and to serve selflessly. Have a wonderful Holiday and a Happy New Year!
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  3:40:21 PM  Show Profile
I love pulling weeds this time of year. Probably because I feel successful.....there aren't as many to pull as in the summer. I haven't been shoveling snow but I have been shoveling compost. I am itchin' to get in my garden....just want to get dirty.

We usually have our annual "Rake and Burn" weekend in early Feb. I got a new blower and can't wait. Every hour or so I hop outside, pick up the blower, and you should see the leaves go! WOO HOO it's fun! There will still be more than enough leaves for the rest of the family come February.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2006 :  9:03:59 PM  Show Profile
All I would be able to do in my garden bed is swim! We have had so much rain that my bed is under water, has been for 3 days. Ick! Hoping it goes away lest the roots rot. Do have Hyacinth and Bluebell green poking up in some higher beds, and have violets and Helebore blooms. Hope springs eternal!! Yeah!!!! Julia V.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2006 :  10:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Found the first cherry blossoms blooming on the tree today!! That is the earliest EVER.
Go to Top of Page

shelley ginger
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Shelley
Ossining New York
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  12:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Send shelley ginger an AOL message
I was trying to picture myself out in the flowerbed today here in the Hudson Valley in NY. Hmm...if I tried really hard...and chipped away at the frozen ground I might be able to pull a hamstring, but that's about it.

Ooooh, I am jealous ladies!!

We'll be friends until we're blue in the hair.

http://www.erikandshelley.com

http://stillmeadowfriends.blogspirit.com/
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  1:32:39 PM  Show Profile
I "harvested" the barn today and spread the manure and straw around the garden. It's pretty soggy here to be doing any weeding, but I did notice lots of bulbs coming up and the primulas and snowdrops are blooming!
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  3:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Today was fairly warm - about 60. I cleaned up DH's mess from taking apart our old deck and putting in a new one. I spent a few hours cleaning the old deckboards that I'm going to remake into raised beds for my garden. Can't do it all at once anymore with my back the way it is - so I just had to be satisfied with cleaning up the mess and pulling nails.

(why can't men ever learn to just park the truck next to where they are remodeling something, and just chuck the burnable/trash stuff into THAT rather than tossing it on our front lawn for the world to see?)

Anyways, I'm looking forward to scraping the old paint off on the next warm day, then I need to pick a nice color for those raised beds to be. Our roof is red (not my idea... it was here...) so I'm thinking "why not" as the tomatoes will catch the color beautifully, and they'll add color next winter season to a pretty dead lawn.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  9:38:50 PM  Show Profile
I thought of about doing some weeding today after church but it was to cold and wet, so I read a book about knitting with a pot of tea.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  05:21:34 AM  Show Profile
Shelley,
I'm with you, in the Hudson Valley and envious. All you guys in the pacific northwest should know we have at least 2 more months of hard frozen snowy weather. really we wouldn't see snowdrops until the end of March. Spring fever in this area is a frenzy because we wait so long.
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic did some weeding today! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page