Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Official response to concerns about HR 4040
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Official response to concerns about HR 4040 Next Topic  

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  2:00:37 PM  Show Profile
I wrote my congresswoman Patty Murray regarding concerns I had about the new lead testing for children's products and here is the response I received from her. Maybe it will clear up some fuzzy areas we have discussed
"Dear Mrs. Grubbs:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 4040, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008, sponsored by Rep. Bobby Rush (D-IL-1), which became public law on August 14, 2008. I appreciate hearing from you about this important issue.

As you know, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) strengthened safety regulations on children's products, particularly regarding the amount of lead and certain phthalates they are allowed to contain. CPSIA mandates that children's products containing more than 600 parts per million (ppm) total lead cannot be sold on or after February 10, 2009, even if they were manufactured before that date. On August 14, 2009, the total amount of allowable lead content per product drops to 300 ppm.

CPSIA requires that domestic manufacturers and importers certify that children's products made after February 10, 2009 meet all new safety standards, including the lead restriction. Sellers of used children's products, such as thrift or consignment stores or "resellers", do not have to certify that those products meet the new lead limits or toy standards.

Although resellers are not required to test children's products for compliance with the new lead limits, H.R. 4040 prohibits resellers from selling children's products that exceed the lead limits. Therefore, resellers are avoiding selling products that are likely to have lead content, unless they have testing or other information to indicate those products contain less lead than the new limit allows.

I understand that the regulations enacted in CPSIA will require sellers of children's products to meet high standards of safety and certification. As we move forward in the 111th Congress, I will closely monitor this situation and be in touch with the CPSC regarding the feedback you provided and concerns from businesses about the new regulations. I share your concerns that these regulations could put hard-working business owners out of business, and I will continue to talk to the CPSC and my Senate colleagues about your concerns. Thank you for contacting me, and please feel free to contact me again in the future.

I hope all is well in Elma."

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  2:36:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting this!

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  2:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sherri- I am glad you emailed her! Please stay on it to make sure she follows through for us!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Official response to concerns about HR 4040 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page