Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 MaryJane's Magazine 'reading club'
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic MaryJane's Magazine 'reading club' Next Topic
Page: of 11

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  6:43:06 PM  Show Profile
Jackie, your descriptions are just lovely.....made me all warm and fuzzy.

I laughed at the clothes line...just today, my daughters and I were hanging and we had a funny discussion about the sheets and towels on the outside and the undies on the inside!! It's one of those unspoken rules!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  7:24:55 PM  Show Profile
I'm settlin' in for the night. It's about 9:20 here and I've been up since 4:45....time to relax. I'm gonna curl up with an MJ magazine....figurin' on movin' from issue 3 to issue 4.

Frannie, are we disucssing the mags in order or does it matter? I just want to follow along and not get off the trail.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  8:56:35 PM  Show Profile
catherine .. i'm not even sure what order they are in .. just hop in with any mag .. just tell us which one and what page .. so we can all run and turn to it!

i am adoring your list of 7 wonders!!!

and michelle ... OUCH!!!!!!!!!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  5:24:01 PM  Show Profile
Girls,
Do we know yet when the next MJ magazine is coming out, and the new book? I'am sure it was probably posted someplace, but that info has left my wits.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  05:21:51 AM  Show Profile
Hey gals!

Wow, we must all be busy! We haven't visited here for a few weeks.

Nancy, you might post that question about the next mag on the Book Ideas site. I think I've seen them talk about the mags there.

Well, I've thumbed through all the mags but am still devouring the 'Art of the Egg' issue. I had mentioned before that I was going to try the natural dyes for the eggs. My girls and I have had a ball coloring eggs. Dozens and dozens later, we have a wonderful collection of various colors, tones, hues and designs.

Each of us set up our own assembly line of clear plastic cups to be used for the dyes. We made three different kinds of dyes.....the store bought tablet colorings, liquid food color, and natural dyes made from blueberries, raspberries, blackberries,yellow onion, and red onion. All of the mixtures had vinegar added to help with the absorption of the colorings.

We gathered leaves, grasses, clover, flowers, etc.... from our yard and used them in the manner described in MJ's mag.......place the clover, etc on the egg and wrap in nylon. I tied the nylon off with a bread twistie tie. We did various designs in each of the dyes. The clover ones came out so distinct and pretty.

The nylon wrapping was so successful that we started to wrap our eggs in all kinds of things to get the results of different designs....tulle, netting, rubber bands, strings, wax crayon, and on and on.

My youngest is quite upset about the eggs not lasting forever. She doesn't want us to eat any of them for fear of destroying her handiwork. So, her eggs are on display until the odor is just too much!

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  05:42:02 AM  Show Profile
oh chilluns' .. i do have to confess .. that other than books on 'tibet' (mt. everest) .. i haven't done too much reading in the last few weeks .. still BUYING books every chance i get! i'll have plenty to read when i'm IN THE HOME .. just hope my eyesight stays good (i'm still buying my reading glasses at the DOLLAR STORE .. so .. so far .. so good! will fall asleep tonight re-reading my maryjane magazines .. and will continue posting my thoughts .. AND .. will keep adding to that 'goodie prize pile'

.... soooooooo ya'll find a few moments to sit and relax and read an article or two and tell us a story or two that the article brings to mind! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  12:34:19 PM  Show Profile
Don't feel bad Frannie, I too have gotten so busy lately, mainly cleaning out the gardens and playing outside that I havent' been doing much reading either, you should really get some good glasses girl, you won't regret it!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  2:52:17 PM  Show Profile
well ... i jus' picked up and headed to Berea for Friday/Saturday get-away! spur of the moment .. jus' grabbed a clean pair of scivvies, my toothbrush .. and OFF I WENT!

will write more of my fun trip later (still unpacking the van).

oh and miz sue .. i gotta' tell you .. every opthamologist i've ever been to .. tells me that the DOLLAR STORE reading glasses are just fine for me .. don't need a prescription .. yet! and the rate that i lose and sit on them .. it would cost me a ba-jillion dollars if i had to pay for a 'real prescription' .. (a friend told me that if you pay more .. you tend to take better care of them! HA! she must not know me that well!) i swear .. i have twenty or thirty pair around here somewhere .. went out and got five more today . cuz' i almost always have to go on a 'hunt' when i need a pair .. i've been tucking them in every room .. nook and cranny .. and STILL .. (like the second sock in the washing machine) .. they disappear!

xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  5:17:18 PM  Show Profile
Frannie-
Why Tibet for you? It is my FAVORITE reading topic over the last few years. One of the best books about Tibet is 'In Exile From the Land of Snows', 'Amma in America' about an 84 year old Tibetan woman who makes a pilgrimage to America with her adopted American son, also 'My Trip to Lhasa' about the first western woman to travel into Tibet. High Asia is my dream destination...is honey hunk there on his man getaway? One of my favorite professors from college studies Yak husbandry in Nepal- a fascinating topic (though I will admit it did not impress me much at first!).
Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  5:19:21 PM  Show Profile
A friend of mine here in Utah just got a yak. No kidding. She wants to spin the fiber they produce.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  8:00:25 PM  Show Profile
MIZ JENNY .. TIBET .. cuz' that is where honey hunk is this month .. climbing Mt. Everest!

wait t'il you see the pictures of the 'prayer flags' i have hung to 'blow blessings on the wind' to him!

xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  3:31:22 PM  Show Profile
Ok, makes sense now and if it works for you, you go girl!!! As long as you can see! I can picture 30 pairs around your cabin, how cute!

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  3:50:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls,
We are going to have a whole new magazine to talk about soon, will be out in a few weeks, if you subscribe, you already have it or will in a few days, I went to the MJ site and pre ordered mine to be delivered as soon as they get it at the farm.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  3:56:56 PM  Show Profile
I used to have a jacket woven from yak hair/fur. It was great, it was warm, but when it rained it smelled like wet dog:( Still, I loved that jacket....

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  09:00:49 AM  Show Profile
To those who have the new MJF magazine already, which recipe are you going to try first? My mouth is watering for some cookies already --- peanut butter or chocolate chip? Hmmmmmm.....

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  08:35:52 AM  Show Profile
good morning farmgirls ... oh happy day .. a new MJ magazine to devour and rave about .. have you gotten yours yet? if you can't find it at your local bookstore .. be sure to order it from the farm on-line! and let's start talkin' about all the articles in this issue .. recipes .. thoughts .. ideas .. dreams. start talkin'!!! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  12:27:55 PM  Show Profile
I love the "Just For Two" option for the recipes.

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein

Edited by - quilt8305 on May 19 2006 12:28:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  12:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message

Hi Frannie...
I read in your post you say "get your 'wild iris' issue out" & I wonder, can you be specific which issue that is? I am a new reader and would like to have a copy of that particular issue as I just received my first "wild iris" and would love more info if available in an issue of MJ's magazine.
Much obliged,
MasterGardener
Chandra

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  1:50:48 PM  Show Profile
hellll-oooooooooo farmgirls ... gettin' back to this fun MaryJane Farmgirls Magazine Reading Club .. and we're gonna' share stories and fun stuff in this latest most wonderful FARM KITCHEN issue .. soooooooo .. if you haven't gotten yours yet .. contact the farm right away to request it!

Remember .. there is a basket of 'prizes' that ONE of you will win at the end of all our discussions .. and i think we'll award it (i'll have a midnight drawing of the names of everyone who has written a story about something that has appeared in any of the magazines to date! does an article remind you of something similar that happened to you or someone in your life? did you find something especially and wonderfully helpful in living the farmgirl life? tell us of some recipes that jus' knocked your socks off! or the fabulous photography!!! let's take it page by page and share how wonderful this magazine is with all the girls that don't yet have it .. it will surely whet their appetites or order it!

i especially love this magazine because like i posted elsewhere .. it truly made my 'bed-time' with pneumonia so much easier .. i got lost in the stories and advice and recipes and photos!!!! i just ordered a big loada' the BUDGET MIX .. after reading how EVERYTHING that goes into MaryJane's products is ORGANIC and HEALTHFUL for me and those i cook for! i know i've been hearing it over and over with each magazine that ORGANIC is the very best way to live .. but this issue pushed me over the edge! NOT to say that i won't cheat and have some McDonald's FRIES once in a blue moon .. but i am seeking out more local grown produce by farmers who grow ORGANIC .. to support them so that they won't have to 'go away'. I will start preaching organic to everyone who will listen to me! I especially want my children and my children's children to learn the importance of foods that are good for them and don't contain som many CHEMICALS and other harmful things!

I reeeeeeeeely loved the article about our precious little Susan and her Soaps! Will write lots more .. and hope you will too! Tomorrow .. i will take photos of the prizes that one of you will soon win! Soooooo .. get out that mag and start chattin' away (and by the way .. if you wish to comment on something from another issue .. that is jus' fine too! tell us which issue so we can all run and get it to re-read!) co, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  2:59:12 PM  Show Profile
the inside cover of the magazine brought back such fond memories of 'cooking class' in school. i do look back on all the white flour and white sugar and lard we used in learning to cook. ha! doesn't much matter .. cuz' i sure must not have paid much attention .. i am JUST NOW in this chapter in my book of life learning to COOK! and STILL i manage to BURN what's in the oven from time to time!

is cooking still taught in high school? has anyone visited the class and checked the cupboards to see what ingredients are in there? NOW would be the perfect time for momma's of these girls and boys to stand up and shout ORGANIC! HEALTHY!

wonder if that is a drawing of the dionne quintuplets .. since they all look alike!

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  3:01:51 PM  Show Profile
i can't more highly recommend to each and every farmgirl to SUBSCRIBE - JOIN IN - SIGN UP .. just think for only a minimum $50. order of wonderful products from the Farm .. you will get a one-year complimentary subscription ... that way ... you know it's coming and don't have to go searching for it when you hear the rest of us raving about each issue! All you new kids in the farmyard! Let us know if you decide to take this easy and wonderful route .. and tell us what yummies you ordered! xo

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  3:11:05 PM  Show Profile
ya' gotta' love those moon and stars tennies and striped socks and beautiful vintage petti-slip on page 2 (publisher's page) ... wonder who posed for this one!! LOVE her funky style! And gurlfrenz you just have to LOVE MaryJane's efforts to NOT depend on advertizing dollars! REMEMBER that subscription and ordering products is what will keep this fabulous 'mag-a-log' coming to us! I honor the farm's ideals to NOT advertize harmful things .. but rather to promot healthful eating! And remember .. selling those ORGANNIC foods is of utmost importance .. so be sure to set some monthly pennies aside to help keep MaryJane's farm so very successful!

Pay close attention to the 'waste not - want not' paragraph .. unsolicited catalogs .. oh how many wonderful forests are lost due to this travesty! I personally, always RETURN unwanted catalogs to the company that sends them ... asking them to TAKE ME OFF of their list .. because i simply put them in a recycle bin without ever reading them .. and that I specifically go out of my way to NOT EVER purchase anything advertized in them! I rarely hear back from these companies .. but for the most part .. they do indeed, take me off of their list!

And remember, just like MaryJane's Farm .. when we do order and use the healthy products mentioned in MaryJane's Magazine .. we also help to keep these businesses in business too! IF we do not support these businesses .. in time .. they will go away!

AND REMEMBER .. TO SPREAD THE WORD! (Put a sign-up library type card in the front of your magazine .. have your friends sign IN BLOOD .. and put their home up for collateral .. then LEND your magazine to them .. one at a time!!!) THEN encourage them to order MaryJane Farm products and get their OWN subscription .. which, of course, will take very little encouragement once they have read it cover to cover!

xo

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  3:13:38 PM  Show Profile
FARMGIRL BUDGET MIX. I am soooo excited .. i ordered a big bundle of the budget mix yesterday .. and am listing all the recipes i want to use with it!

I jusdt love the idea of this COOKBOOK that MaryJane has provided us with in this issue! Each recipe is as yummy sounding as the one before it and the one that comes after!

Be sure to look at the COMPARISON chart that MaryJane has provided so you will see how THRIFTY using her Budget Mix is!

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  3:15:14 PM  Show Profile
What an incredibly charming APRON pictured on PAGE 6 .. and KUDOS to the photographer! I swear .. these photos are works of art! Any one of them could be framed (IF you could bear to cut up your magazine!!!)

NOW .. let's hear from some of you gurlfrenz about the STAFF OF LIFE .. Our Historic Flour Mill article!!!

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  3:16:37 PM  Show Profile
the vintage typewriter pictured on page nine is wonderful. I have a friend (Cindy Petters from Hidden Pond Farm in upstate New York) .. who at one time collected old, beat-up typewriters and made bracelets from the keys. She made me a very special one that read RAG DOLL .. i just treasure it!!!!

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Reading Room: Previous Topic MaryJane's Magazine 'reading club' Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page