Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What are some yummy ways to eat beets?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What are some yummy ways to eat beets? Next Topic
Page: of 2

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  08:49:12 AM  Show Profile
I love pickled beets but I have never eaten them prepared any other way. I plan on planting some in my garden this year and I was wondering how you gals like your beets? Thanks bunches!

Toodles,
Becky

WOOOOHOOO!
Farmgirl #429
Gonna get cracking on those badges:D

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  3:19:30 PM  Show Profile

I like to make borscht. There are lots of ways to make it but I saute onions in olive oil in my pressure cooker and after they are soft I add cut up carrots beets and potatoes and chicken broth. After 20 to 30 mintues of cooking I immersion blend it, season with salt and serve with sour cream and dill. You can also make it with beef broth or add cabbage. Once in a while I put some cooked bacon in! Also beets are wonderful just cut up roasted in the oven with olive oil and salt. You can put these in salads; especially good with soft goat cheese and greens.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  3:28:24 PM  Show Profile
Becky, we like Harvard beets. I don't use a recipe but I just put my canned beet juice, (leave out the beets for now) Put in vinegar, sugar, a little orange juice and corn starch to thicken. After it comes to a boil and thickens, I add the beets and cook until it is heated through. Don't know the amounts, I just put it in there. Maybe a quarter cup of vinegar, sugar and orange juice. Next time I fix it, I'll measure.
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  4:33:37 PM  Show Profile
I like to boil them, then peel the skins, quarter and saute in butter with salt and pepper. I've also tried roasting them in foil with butter, salt and pepper, then peeling the skin.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  4:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I just eat them sauted in butter, salt and pepper, warm through. YUMMY!!! I love beets.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  4:39:00 PM  Show Profile
I love beets and just read today from my "Organic Gardening in Cold Climates" book great way to prepare them is to bake them...individually wrapped in aluminium foil for 1 hour 350 degree oven.. I am going to try this one..

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  4:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Cheryl...that sounds lovely and warming!!! YUM...

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  4:43:07 PM  Show Profile
I just came from the store too.. darn it , I don't have a beet in the house... They would be great for dinner.. oh well next time...

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Jan 16 2009 4:43:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

ThePixiesPlayhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Terri
Biggs CA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  8:05:41 PM  Show Profile
Just slice and saute with a little butter, salt an pepper..... Now I have to pick some up at the store...

I also like the roasted in the oven with a little olive oil.
I like to juice them too........with carrots and celery.

Farmgirl #428

"It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought, without accepting it"
Aristotle

Edited by - ThePixiesPlayhouse on Jan 16 2009 8:39:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  8:23:58 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Heather and Terri. But there's a family recipe that calls for Fried Beets (hey, it's European, what can I say?) which is:

medium thick sliced beets, eggs, butter, salt,all purpose flour breadcrumbs.

Dip sliced beets, to cover, in eggs. Cover first in flour, then in breadcrumbs that have been combined with a couple teaspoons salt (or use seasoned breadcrumbs). Fry with butter, in skillet (sorta like fried green tomatoes). Cool and enjoy.

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
herbals: www.wildatheartherbals.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  8:24:27 PM  Show Profile
I like the beet greens and the beets are ok if they are maybe acorn size, but the greens, the greens are wonderful.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  12:13:31 AM  Show Profile
Oooh, interesting. I've got some red beets I was going to grow, but I also got some albino ones to help cut down on mess with the kids this year... I'll have to come back for the recipes later...

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  12:30:48 AM  Show Profile
ANY which way I can get them! I love them cold and warm, fried and in salads and whatever

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Again new creations added, too cute lol. Come and check it out!!
http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  06:11:39 AM  Show Profile

I really like the golden beets. I have tried to grow them several times with no luck. I think our soil is too heavy. The golden beets are beautiful. Unfortunately they are expensive to buy here and I don't get them very often.
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  10:55:56 AM  Show Profile
Take your cooked, cooled beets and dice. Add some chopped hard boiled egg and diced onion, add a mayonnaise dressing and you've got a great salad!
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  2:34:20 PM  Show Profile
OHM Thank you ladies! I was expecting a response or 2 but WOW! You all have inspired me. It all sounds sooo YUMMY! Zan, the breaded beets sound awesome. That is how I eat eggplant and zucchini. I never thought to make beets that way. I am going to plant a bunch so I can try all of these ideas. Thanks again:-))

Toodles,
Becky

WOOOOHOOO!
Farmgirl #429
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  2:59:48 PM  Show Profile
that was supposed to be OMG...oops.. I don't know what OHM might be an abbreviation for, if any, so I wanted to clarify.

Toodles,
Becky

WOOOOHOOO!
Farmgirl #429
Go to Top of Page

skdouglass
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Orcutt California
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  4:18:02 PM  Show Profile
Here's how we eat beets. We call them Oven Jewels:

Cut off the tops and roots of your beets, then peel them. Yes, it's messy, but not as bad as folks make you think it is. Whack the big ones in half or quarters so they're all about the same size. Put them in a roasting pan. I line my pan with foil to keep the pan clean (lazy) and then with a sheet of parchment to prevent any possible aluminum contamination (overly cautious), but to each her own. Drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt. Fling the whole business in the oven at whatever temperature the rest of dinner is baking at - I generally don't warm the oven up just for Oven Jewels, but plan a whole Oven Dinner at the same time. Cooking time varies with temperature and size of the vegetables; use your sense.
This treatment is not limited to beets. We often roast potatoes, cauliflower, carrots and shiitake mushrooms all at the same time. All the colors are so pretty in the same pan. The kids snarf them up. I do too.

Regards
Samantha
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  11:56:56 PM  Show Profile
Hey Samantha,
Thanks for the jewels idea! By the way, WELCOME!!!!! My beets ? was your first post.... I am honored:-D And where is Orcutt? We are 1.5 hrs N. of Sacramento. Just curious.

Toodles,
Becky

WOOOOHOOO!
Farmgirl #429
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  12:08:00 AM  Show Profile
Hey Juliet, you're welcome ...Dutchy, I've eaten a similar kind of salad, yours sounds sooo good. Wow, everyone really does have some good recipes here

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
herbals: www.wildatheartherbals.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  06:22:43 AM  Show Profile
Scroll down to "Secret Chocolate Cake":

http://www.delvinfarms.com/allrecipes.htm

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com

groovy stuff 2 buy...http://www.alittlesplurge.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

skdouglass
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Orcutt California
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  08:52:25 AM  Show Profile
Becky,

Thanks for the welcome.

One of my operating principles in life is to "begin as you mean to go on;" I wonder what it portends that beets are the topic of my initial posts here. I shall no doubt lose sleep trying to parse its meaning.

Orcutt is a few miles south of Santa Maria and about 45 minutes north of Santa Barbara as the Elantra flies.

Regards,
Samantha
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  2:19:46 PM  Show Profile
Replace carrots with beets in a regular carrot cake recipe. I love them pickled, shredded on salad (yep raw). My all time favorite though is beets cut up and roasted (don't even bother peeling unless they're really bad), lots of salt & pepper and some olive oil at 425 for 30-45 minutes (depends on their size). Then as soon as I pull them out of the oven I drizzle them with balsamic vinegar yum!

-------------------------
If the ways is long
Let your heart be strong
Keep right on 'round the bend
Though you're tired and weary
Still journey on to your happy abode
Where all that you love
And are dreaming of
Will be there at the end of the road.
-Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  2:35:37 PM  Show Profile
heres another one, eventhough you may not get alot of the taste....steam them, then puree, then add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of puree to cookie recipies, brownies, muffins and pancake batters, then cook as usual....this is AWESOME to get the added nutrition in your diet without downright eating them by themselves, and even more AWESOME if you have kids like mine, because all they know is they LOVE mommy's "pink pancakes and Muffins" and never even suspect that there are veggies in them!!!.....Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Hanalu
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

Hana
Redwood City California
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  10:36:21 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE roasted beets with goat cheese and butter lettuce. I had that tonight actually!

Hana
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  3:35:14 PM  Show Profile
Blended in with something else to hide the taste (just kidding), I never acquired a taste for beets. My mom makes beet relish which everybody else in my family loves. However, I do love beet greens in a salad and there's a Ukrainian dish where beet leaves are wrapped around tiny buns. Those are very good.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What are some yummy ways to eat beets? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page