hipmamato4
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

danielle
wernersville pa
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  5:04:03 PM  Show Profile
I just finished canning chicken corn soup this afternoon. 10# 90 minutes in the pressure canner, like the directions said.

So, I just took the jars out and they were cool enough to handle easily, but my quart jars are still bubbling inside. What does this bubbling mean and why does it do it? Until now, I had always assumed that it was still boiling inside, but the jars are almost totally cooled, so it couldn't be that. My pint jars are not doing it. Does it mean that they are at risk for spoiling? Thanks, Danielle

Homebirthing, home-schooling mama to 4 awesome kids, living an idyllic country life in Pennsylvania

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  5:08:32 PM  Show Profile
Have they sealed good. And are you sure you havent made corn mash. The type you use to make moon shine.
I have never heard of this either.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  5:36:43 PM  Show Profile
Danielle, care to share your recipe? I used to work with a gal from PA, years ago, and she
made the best "chicken corn soup" and I haven't had it since~I never got her recipe! ;)

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

hipmamato4
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

danielle
wernersville pa
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  5:56:38 PM  Show Profile
I'm always afraid to see if they sealed well. Crazy, I know, but always just like to be hopeful and then wait and see. LOL I will check them in the morning, then if they didn't seal I can always just freeze them.

As far as a recipe--I am a throw it together kind of girl. Mostly I made the soup today b/c it was super cold and the canner helped to warm the kitchen. It was chicken, corn from the neighbors field (that I froze, potatoes (we are gluten free, so no doughy rivels), celery seed, parsley, pepper, salt and leftover chicken broth from a previously cooked chicken. Pretty basic.I can't imagine it would taste as good as a recipe that you remembered. :)

Homebirthing, home-schooling mama to 4 awesome kids, living an idyllic country life in Pennsylvania
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  7:58:11 PM  Show Profile
my chicken a la king and split pea soup always seem to bubble SOOOOOOOO much longer than I think they should after I take them out of the canner. . .don't know why they seem to do so more than the thinner ones like plain chicken veggie soup.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  9:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think it is just the air escaping or perhaps the center of the soup is hot enough to keep the contents boiling even though the glass is cooling.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  12:30:50 AM  Show Profile
The pressure's higher inside the jar than outside the jar, so if your jar has sealed, your soup will boil inside there at a lower temperature than it normally would. I think. At least that's how my engineer hubby described it to un-scientific ole me. All my broths and more liquidy soups can boil for like 30 minutes on the counter after I take them out (I do can at 15lbs because of my elevation, but still).

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

hipmamato4
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

danielle
wernersville pa
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  11:15:00 AM  Show Profile
Well, it appears that they have sealed. :) I am doing lentil soup and Santa Fe Stew today, so hopefully they will work well also. Thanks, Danielle

Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  11:44:02 AM  Show Profile
I love chicken corn chowder, I start with Paula Deen's Chef Jack's corn chowder recipe and then modify: a little bacon, some potatoes, and I boil my chicken first and use that liquid for my broth, bone my chicken and add the meat back in towards the end. It is so good! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/chef-jacks-corn-chowder-recipe/index.html
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  3:31:24 PM  Show Profile
My canning book is probably as old as I am so there arn't any directions for canning soup. I make soup a lot and usually freeze it because I don't know the time or #pressure to can it. Where do you all get your directions?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  3:54:03 PM  Show Profile
Yep...it is a good thing...the boiling inside just happens until they cool down enough...chicken corn soup sounds wonderful. I am ready to can up some more soup soon. I bought extra veggies today just for that purpose. Yum!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  12:11:56 AM  Show Profile
I just have the Complete Book of Preserving, more recipes than the Blue Book.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Soup Canning Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page