Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Great Books for the Girl in All of Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Great Books for the Girl in All of Us! Next Topic  

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  12:14:17 PM  Show Profile
I've been having a ball reading The Daring Book for Girls by Andrea J. Buchanan and Miriam Peskowitz and The Prairie Girl's Guide to Life: How to Sew a Sampler Quilt & 49 Other Pioneer Projects for the Modern Girl by Jennifer Worick.

The first book is written with girls as the intended audience, but I'm 32 and having a great time reading it! It has really brought out the kid in me, and I've actually been playing more and learning a lot in the process!

The second book is written for adults, but still has some great ideas. It has more common-sense kind of projects and some of them are so simple I can't belive anyone would need instructions on how to do them (i.e. how to braid your hair), but it's an enjoyable read nonetheless.

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  1:10:43 PM  Show Profile
I have both of those books and I agree, they are great!

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  4:46:12 PM  Show Profile
I was really disappointed with The Prairie Girls Guide to Life. I LOVE all things prairie and pioneer and thought I would love this. There were many times when I felt like the author was poking fun at some of the things. I kept thinking to myself "If you think this is so stupid then why did you write the book?" It just irritated me. Did anyone else feel this way?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

velvetcadi7
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Amy
Galva IL
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  6:50:26 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I was dissappointed in that one too! I can't remember what she was writing about - canning maybe and had some of the directions wrong. I wondered if she had even done any of the things herself!

I really enjoy the American Girls craft books and cookbooks. I get them from the children's library.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Great Books for the Girl in All of Us! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page