Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Was it a bad idea...no clothes for babe?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Was it a bad idea...no clothes for babe? Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  11:14:11 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I feel very strongly about buying items second hand for our baby, even though it's our first--and we did just that, along with bags and bags of donated items from friends and family (our niece, Ava is 4 now). My mil's are kindly throwing me a shower, so we needed to register for some items. On the registry, it asked for messages to family and friends--We wrote that we were so excited to share our little girl with them, and thanked them for thinking of us. We also asked them to note that there were no onsies, gowns or sleepers listed on our registry because we have been so blessed by generous friends, family members and my own thriftiness, that we are set for the first year of her life (and I mean that!). People who know us (truly know us) know that we always shop thrift, and recycle and are a bit "hippy dippy" so I am hoping that we don't offend anyone by saying, please don't buy us clothing. I also added, "Reuse, Recycle!"
What do you think?

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  11:20:03 AM  Show Profile
I personally would be thrilled to know what "not" to buy! Whenever I have to shop for a gift I worry that I'm getting the same thing everyone else is getting and the givee will be overwhelmed with the very thing I'm buying. I think you are doing your friends and family a favor by alerting them to this.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  12:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I agree with Audrey. I'd appreciate the heads up.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  12:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Go with what is right for you!! I hate going to registries and hoping things don't get double bought and I buy the wrong thing because it is marked wrong or the fact that people can see how much you spent. Good for you!!! : )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  12:40:18 PM  Show Profile
Wow! That is really great that you are all set. I found that with my two, when I left everyone know exactly what I needed and didn't need, I was able to used more of the things that people got for them. :)
Sounds like you've got a great plan! :)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

For I am persuaded , that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present , nor things to come ,
Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  12:41:23 PM  Show Profile
Absolutely, and I'm sure it was well received. Those babies grow so fast, and it is great to reuse baby clothes...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  12:49:35 PM  Show Profile
Whew...that makes me feel so much better. Thanks, girls. When I wrote it, we both felt that we were doing a good thing, but today, I got this funny feeling of "ick" thinking maybe I was acting crass, or ungrateful. I was trying to think of how I felt when we got a shower/wedding invite in the autumn that said, "we specifically did not register for anything for our home, because it is well situated, but would appreciate cash for our once in a lifetime 3 week honeymoon to Hawaii." Of course I gave them money, but it wasn't much because we were really broke at the time, and I sortof felt bad that I could only give them $20.00....One of our friends ordered them something memorable and special anyway that hadn't arrived by the ceremony, and the wedded couple called him a day before they left for the honeymoon to make sure they hadn't "lost" his gift--yow!
We have mostly small ticket items on the registry (crib sheets, blankets, etc...) so I didn't want folks to think that we just wanted big ticket items in lieu of clothing--there aren't any :)

I always know I can count on you girls. It's hard to stay true to your feelings when you worry about offending someone else's!!!
Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  8:25:18 PM  Show Profile
I had a friend who had a "handmade or hand-me-down" themed baby shower.

I thought it was a great idea. And people were able to shop for gifts at the thrift store.

~Rhonda

http://rmfo-blogs.com/rhonda
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  05:47:33 AM  Show Profile
That is a great idea, Rhonda! I just don't see the need to ask people to go into debt over my newborn...in fact, when people have asked me "what do you need?" I usually just say, "your presence--not p-r-e-s-e-n-t-s!" I'd much rather have people there to share in our joy, than to feel the pressue (as an above poster replied) to buy the best or most unique thing.
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  06:09:23 AM  Show Profile
My gift at baby showers is a card that tells the expectant parents that once they have inventoried all the new "loot".....to please give me a small list of things they really, really wanted...and did not receive....and then I go buy items from the list. I just HATE shopping...and I want the gift I give to be something they really wanted or needed. I always include a small gift I have made myself....like a diaper hanger, or someting personalized (that is when we know sex and name). Some might find my M.O. tacky....but it works for me. In addition....I always offer my services to the mommy to be...that I will pick her up and take her here and there to exchange any multiple gifts she may have received......and take her out to lunch.

Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  02:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
I think that's a great idea! We just had baby #3 almost 6 months ago now, and he was a "surprise". My next youngest turns 9 this weekend, and I have a 14 y/o also. Anyway, we had given away everything to do with babies, but I refused to buy brand new stuff for this one because we don't plan to have any more (unless we adopt, which we are looking at the foster system and they're usually older, and even international adoptions, the kids aren't "baby" babies). We pretty much borrowed, or were given for free, all of the big stuff (including crib, changing table, bassinet, port-a-crib, swing, exersaucer, etc.). We were also given a HUGE box of clothes that had stuff for him for the first 3 months. I did buy a couple of super cute outfits off the clearance racks at Walmart or BabiesRUs, but that's about it. Babies grow so fast and they make the stuff so expensive, to me it was just a waste of money to expect people to buy brand new big stuff that we won't be using after a year or two (or even less time). We even did his nursery theme in Dr. Seuss so that he could grow into it as a toddler and even preschooler, instead of baby-ish nursery theme.

Good for you!

Katee

A life without love is like a year without summer.
"Looking Toward the Son" http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com
Family Bolt http://theboltfamily.blogspot.com
Katee Did It
http://kateedidkreations.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  02:32:33 AM  Show Profile
I love this idea, really I do. It is the best one I have heard in a while!!
Spending money on baby items that are truly not needed or whatever is a shame, and this way you get what you really want or need. And thrifting/seconds?? JUST awesome! You can see the cutest things at a good thrift for next to nothing and hand me downs, nothing wrong with them! I grew up with hand me downs from my mom's best friends older daughters. The daughters were "bigger" than me, so it always fitted, lol.
And I loved the idea of getting something "new"

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  11:58:11 AM  Show Profile
I'm so very relieved that you all think so. Overall, it was well received. A few folks still bought things, but my mother-in-laws, who are both very wonderful, the step mil bought some cute thrift clothes that she couldn't pass up, and my mil gave me two wonderful overalls that my husband wore when he was a little one. I CANNOT WAIT to take her photo in the one pair--an ivory corduroy pair with bright vegetables all over it! She's going to be sitting in the garden in those for sure for that photo op!!

It's very true, Marian...you should see the adorable things and old blankets and baby quilts (who would give something hand made away???) and items I've purchased at the thrift, or have been given to me by neighbors who ALSO love the thrift. I'll take some photos and post them, maybe tonight. I feel like she has "one of a kind" items because they're vintage. I even found a pair of cherry red original Osh Kosh corduroy overalls for when she's around 12 months at Goodwill. Adorable, and even had a little "flare" to the trouser leg.

I, too, grew up with hand me downs, but not from cousins or siblings, but my mom's work friend, Vicki. She had two girls, and boy-howdy did I love to go through those bags! Made me feel like a queen!!!
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  09:00:24 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
i'm glad your pleased with the outcome. some people, espically grandmas, will never quite resist the urge to buy baby gifts, but at least you didn't end up with a lot of things she doesn't need. the amount of things i recieved at my baby showers always frustraited me...the kids never got to wear them all. when i go to a babyshower i take a handmade, herloom type gift for the baby and a pamper mama basket.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  10:22:45 AM  Show Profile
When my daughter was pregnant with her first a friend gave her a gift certificate to a children's used clothing store. She got twice as much stuff as buying new - it was great!

Handmade Soap and More! http://www.therusticcottagebath.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  12:34:12 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering if you got the package of things I sent for your new little one?

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  06:56:01 AM  Show Profile
Melanie..I did--I sent you an email a few weeks ago from my new yahoo address--I will resend it from my old, but suffice it to say that you are truly wonderful, and I can't wait to put the little sweater on her and read her the Dr. Seuss book--how did you know that was a favorite here in our house? I wonder, did you not get it?

I've been somewhat busy getting the nursery together (and trying to get my husband together!) and working overtime at the office so I don't leave a mess for the person taking care of my business....9 years is a long time to be at a desk! I haven't been able to get out the package I wanted to little Oliver, which also includes a proper thank you note. Since she isn't here (yet), and almost everything is done, I will try to get to the post tomorrow, since I'm going to be at work, anyway !!!!
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  8:47:39 PM  Show Profile
I am sooooooo glad that ou got it. I was worried as the mail sometimes isn't always reliable. I din't get your e-mail, but my computer is acting up lately so who knows.
We love Dr. Seuss here too. I even have a Green eggs and ham watch!
Hugs to you all:)

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Was it a bad idea...no clothes for babe? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page