True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  04:30:41 AM  Show Profile
AKA - Chicken nuggets

1-1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
1/2 cup dried whole wheat bread crumbs or cracker crumbs.
1/4 cup wheat germ (or more bread crumbs)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp EACH salt, onion powder & paprika
1/4 tsp. EACH black pepper, cayenne pepper & garlic powder.

Cut your chicken into small, bite size pieces.

Add your coating ingredients into a bag. Place a few pieces into the bag of crumbs and shake briskly. Place the chicken pieces onto a prepared baking sheet. (baking sheet with thin coating of vegetable oil). If you have crumbs leftover you may scatter them overtop of the chicken pieces in the pan. Bake the nuggets at 450 for 12-15 minutes.

I make these in bulk and flash freeze (raw) - toss into a freezer container and they make a nice quick meal for my girls. They love them! I also add ground flax seed to my coating. (I just grind it in there until my hands get tired.)

Yesterday I doubled the coating mix and made 5 lbs. of chicken. 1/2 nuggets & 1/2 strips. We serve with low fat ranch dressing.

Enjoy!

I wanted to say, I originally got the recipe from the Healthy Hillbilly Housewife - http://healthy.hillbillyhousewife.com/index.htm I wanted to give her the credit. But, I no longer see the recipe listed.

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Edited by - City Chick on Jan 14 2009 04:31:41 AM

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  05:54:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh! This is funny--with all the talk of the Brit foods on here lately, I thought you were talking about the only snakebite I know--which is a beverage--a hard cider mixed with an ale...and a "Snakebite in Black" is a hard cider and ale with a bit of blackberry juice.

These sound like great little snacks for after school!! I have a long way to go before my little one will be eating solids, but I'm keeping a recipe file JUST for these types of items! Thanks for posting!
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  08:10:36 AM  Show Profile
Deb, thanks for the recipe. Our grocery store has hind quarters on sale this week for $.29 lb. I have been thinking of a way to make chicken nuggets. Ole Ron loves them and I rarely buy them. What I have been thinking is that I would cook the meat first, run it through the meat grinder, add the filler, a binder and spices, roll in crumbs then saute. I love the addition of wheat germ and flax seed. Will give this recipe/idea a try.
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  11:34:47 AM  Show Profile
Geez, And I thought you posted in the wrong category...possibly, I thought, because you needed to go the emergency room to find out about your snake bites instead of posting on the MJF forum.
Glad to know you are OK!
Thanks for the recipe.
Cheers, Karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  11:41:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, another use for all those pheasants and grouse my husband has in the freezer...
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Snake Bites Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page