Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What is your act of green for 2009?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What is your act of green for 2009? Next Topic
Page: of 2

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  12:24:39 PM  Show Profile
At the dump I found the bottom of a child size bedframe. It is all white tubes about 4 inches apart and there are about 30 of them. I had hubby screw some gigantic cup hooks in our ceiling above the woodstove to hang this "rack" there. We have 9 foot ceilings in our kitchen. I have had 30+ articles of clothing hanging on it at a time on hangers. You can clip socks and such to a hanger as well. Not only do I not use my dryer, but it helps put humidity back into our house while the clothes are drying.
Glad you're all doing so well going green!
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  1:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by harmonyfarm

At the dump I found the bottom of a child size bedframe. It is all white tubes about 4 inches apart and there are about 30 of them. I had hubby screw some gigantic cup hooks in our ceiling above the woodstove to hang this "rack" there. We have 9 foot ceilings in our kitchen. I have had 30+ articles of clothing hanging on it at a time on hangers. You can clip socks and such to a hanger as well. Not only do I not use my dryer, but it helps put humidity back into our house while the clothes are drying.
Glad you're all doing so well going green!
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"

Hi Debbie,

You laundry drying rack sounds very nice! I have been hanging my clothes up to day all throughout the house on wooden laundry racks, on broom handles laying on two ladderback chairs, and on my retractable clothesline in the bathroom, it does put moristure in the air which is wonderful for my family since out house is very dry. The moisture in the house helps our sinuses annd our druy skin.

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  2:49:08 PM  Show Profile
My act of green for 2009 is to eliminate all plastic bags. So far I haven't used any for shopping and I am almost through my box of garbage bags and don't plan on buying anymore. Not sure what I will replace them with but hoping someone has ideas for replacing plastic garbage bags for messy garbage that can't be composted. Any ideas???
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  2:52:09 PM  Show Profile
These are all great ways to be green. I have not used anything to clean with except baking soda and vinegar. No chemicals at all. Ok, I just lied. I do use bleach in the toilets sometimes and in the sink to get them nice and white. OOppps! Hang the out. Use cloth napkins now. Use newspaper to clean windows with vinegar and water. i also don't buy wiper washer fluid and just use a little soapy water. Just had all new windows put in that are the energy efficient ones. Alos use the tote bags at the grocery. Grow just about all our food. Make our bread. Was milking goats, but not anymore til May. But do get milk from a friend now. Go to the thrift store. I make my own astringent and now have homemade laundry soap! I keep the heat turned way down. Use the little toaster oven alot, too. I try to buy local as much as possible to cut down on fossil fuels. And just try not to go anywhere unless I can combine several things together.

Great topic. I am getting good ideas here. Thanks. Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  5:04:34 PM  Show Profile
This year I'm mostly adding on to things I already do.
I use cloth bags at the grocery store-my goal is to use them at other stores, like the drugstore, etc.
Another goal is to eat essier on the planet-more local food, etc.

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  6:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Debbie! I love the hanging drying rack you and hubby made. I'm going to try to think of something to do . I did wear out a wooden drying rack (proof I used it) but haven't replaced it yet. I have a long curtain rod in front of my washer & dryer..it's as long as they are wide together. I hang clothes on it...some but not all will fit. There are many things that can be hung right on the hangers up there. I put some things on the kitchen chairs and I feel good and that I am being a farmgirl when I do that. (I think of you gals!and how you'd be proud of me!
I sure would enjoy figuring out how to make one somehow and have enough to hang more inside. It really does dry fast because of the winter air.
I could start using vinegar and baking soda for washing like you gals do. I'd love to make my own laundry soap...and I will soon!

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!

Have a wonderful Farmgirl New Year!!
Go to Top of Page

createmyworld
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Beth
Akron PA
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  7:16:02 PM  Show Profile
wow, this is a great topic... there's a lot that I do and have been doing, which have been mentioned:
hang-dry laundry as much as I can
use cold water in wash machine
cloth bags for groceries
buy dairy and eggs at local organic farmers
grow own veggies organically and can and freeze a lot for year round eating
eat organically as often as is possible (about 95%)
walk to destinations whenever possible
recycle, reuse and re-purpose items
fix items instead of throwing away and purchasing new
eat more vegetarian meals (not 100% vegetarian yet... may someday)
spread the word about green living
installed a low flow shower faucet which also filters chlorine from our water
turned hot water heater down so that when you turn hot water on full, it is at comfort level, not scalding (why spend energy to heat water so hot that you have to add cold water to make it comfortable?!)
clean with green products (sun & earth, 7th generation, greening the cleaning, etc.)
make own lip balms and body butters
turn the thermostat down to 66 in winter
keep the ac off in summer except on days when inside house temp gets above 89
... i'm sure there's more, these are some that we've been doing for a while, always looking for new ideas and ways to live greener!
Go to Top of Page

moxieblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  6:04:34 PM  Show Profile
Hubby and I have started buying organic/free-range groceries whenever possible, and using cloth bags while shopping.

Also I've been making a conscious effort to recycle all the paper I go through at work, and since I'm the one that orders supplies for the office, I'm transitioning us over to recycled/eco-friendly goods whenever possible. At some point this year the hubby and I will be switching over to green cleaners and cloth napkins/towels instead of paper towels.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Farmgirl Sister #242
http://vintage-moxie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What is your act of green for 2009? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page