Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise
 Something to think about-
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Something to think about- Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  6:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We usually get "extra" money at least once or twice a year in the forum of Income Tax Refunds or whatnot.

With things seeming to change with climates and the current economic situation, it sure feels great when you can open up your pantry and see shelves lined with great foods. To know that you can feed your kids no matter whether the check gets lost in the mail or if the bottom falls out of the stocks or whatnot is priceless.

But what happens if the power goes out or your oven breaks?

Over the summer Doug and I didn't have an oven to bake in, but we did have the ability to boil water and do stove top baking. We had some MaryJanesFarm food on hand (we always try to keep at least a week's worth of food on hand for emergencies), and let me tell you- for those days when we were too tired to pull together a stove top meal- the MaryJanesfarm meals were sure a lifesaver!

One thing that Doug and I have talked about lately is having an "Emergency only Cache" of food. In this cache we want it to be easily cooked so that if we have to go light a campfire to cook over- we could do that (in case of a power grid emergency etc). This is also our "Don't panic if there is a money flow problem" contingency plan.

So we are purchasing a water-proof and pest proof container for about $3 at a department store and we are going to buy some MJF food for emergencies. And as long as they are going to put something in the mail...I think I will also order some bulk things like Budget mix such for everyday cooking!

I just wanted to let you know what Doug and I are planning because sometimes it's easy to overlook the benefit of some of the pre-packaged foods that are available to us. But like MaryJane says, her food is "Food that is fast but isn't Junk!"

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  9:38:19 PM  Show Profile
Shortly after my divorce, I found myself living in a trailer with no gas - thus no stove/oven, hot water, or heat! (Long story) But thanks to my homesteading desire, I had the know-how and was able to make do very nicely with a small propane camp stove for most of my cooking. I also bought two dutch ovens that I learned to cook in using charcoal. One of my backyard projects is to build an outside oven. I can smell that sourdough bread cooking now. I also hope to get my solar box finished this summer. I would also like to get a wood stove. I miss having one. I also have a dehydrator and dry meat and vegies. I am learning how to can a more variety of foods such as soups and sauces. It's great to have a stew or pot of beans simmering on the burner but if I don't have the time, it's so nice to just open a jar and heat it up. I only have a very small freezer, and don't plan on getting anything bigger, I have been through a few freezer shut downs and really don't want to go through that again! I store my dried food in my tins. I save those little packages of stuff that absorbs moisture from my vitamin bottles and throw some in the tins with my food and it helps to absorb the moisture. I learned the hard way that it is important to rotate your supplies as well. (another long story and NO we are not going there! lol)

I have also considered making a hay box. It's something I remember reading about years ago. Basically it works as a slow cooker. It's a wooden box with hay as insulation. You put your food in a dutch oven/cast iron pot; bring to a boil, cook for a short time; and then put in in the box; put the lid down and it keeps cooking. If someone is interested, I will see if I can find better instructions.

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  9:48:22 PM  Show Profile
You gals will no doubt think I am just weird now..but I love to keep a maryjanes farm soup in my purse..the packet takes up less room than the small needlework project and paperback book always there...for days when I substitute teach. This year I work until noon as a reading tutor and then sometimes I am asked to stay and sub for the afternoon. I live close to the school and if I know ahead..or have the time...I can go home for lunch, but if I only have 10 minutes I can go in the teacher room, heat a cup of water in the microwave, stir it into my packet and get to the class and be done in time to pick up the kids I sub in the lunch room. I certainly prefer NOT to each school lunch and this is a quick food I can feel good about. My favorite is the Black Bean and Corn chower..but I havn't found one I don't like. I for sure need to stock up again at tax return time..good idea Alee!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  9:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What a great idea, Aunt Jenny! I love it! I love all of her ones with black beans in them! And the Tomato Soup one is amazing! But you are right! I haven't found one that I don't like either!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  07:02:02 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
When my Marine son was home for the holidays he "tested" some of the meals maryjanesFarm provides. He is leaving for Afganastan at the end of the Month and he made me PROMISE I would send some of these to him so that he had "good" food while he was there.. Highest compliment to the MJF.. and of course I will.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  07:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Rene- that is a great idea of your son's! I bet if you send some of the desserts he will have a whole squad of new best friends!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

mndreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Vicky
Popple Creek MN
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  07:42:31 AM  Show Profile
Alee,

I totally agree with Mary! If you can, invest in a cast iron Dutch oven. You can cook just about any kind of meal, breads,
and desserts in there. They are wonderful. Matched up with MJ foods, you can't go wrong!

~Vicky~

It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.
--- Laura Ingalls Wilder

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  11:53:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Vicky- Yes if I can find one around here for a decent price I won't stay on the shelf!1

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
  **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Something to think about- Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page