Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 2 more days to go and Abby's sick
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic 2 more days to go and Abby's sick Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  08:43:10 AM  Show Profile
I have to more days to go and the pigs are going bye-bye!! The slaughter house people are coming to get them Tuesday!!!! I am thrilled they will pick them up. I was getting a little worried about how to get them there. It's just me here, so I would have been on my own. But the problem is solved. They do charge, of course, but it's well worth the cost. So I'm counting the days off the calendar. I think I am going to miss the boys a little. They're so darn funny. Yesterday, they're all out running around chasing each other all over. Then they'll all just plop down and take a piggy nap. Too funny.

And this morning went to feed the goats and get the 2 that I'm still milking and the "queen", Abby, who is always the first to be at the feeder, is just standing there doing nothing. So immediately I know something's wrong with her. She usaually has one whole side of the feeder and the other 5 are on the other side. They are all scared of her when it's eating time. So I check her out and she has a nasty back end. So I put har in a stall with hay and water and go get the Kapectate. Gave her a big dose and will check on her later. And give her some baking soda, too. I hate it when my critters get sick. I guess it's because of all the wet nasty weather we're having lately. I hope that's all it is.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  5:39:35 PM  Show Profile
YUP! Good ole' Kaopectate!
I did have goatees for 12 years, and that is exactly what I did when one got the "squirts"....

Farmgirl Sister #368

http:/froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com

Edited by - 5 acre Farmgirl on Jan 11 2009 5:40:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  3:45:26 PM  Show Profile
The pigs went bye bye awhile ago. It's sad sort of to think where they're going. But I feel so free now. Like I can go somewhere and be gone ALL day and not have to rush back home to feed pigs or worry if they got out. I only had them for 4 months but it was a long 4 months.

There were 3 guys that came out to load them up. It took about an hour. There is no where to corral them up because they had the whole pasture. And it was muddy up past the ankles. And they didn't have rubber boots. And of course one escaped. There's always 1 that will do anything to cause a scene. And it happened. We chased him all over the yard and finally got him in the trailor with his 3 brothers, who were happily eating their last good meal of potato skins, apples, bread, corn and milk. Then off they went.

I'll find out tomorrow how much they weighed. They said they'd dress out from 180-225. Not bad for just 6 months old.

So all is calm and quiet here at Outback farm. And Abby goat is much better. I guess I'll end up drying her up soon. Just got 1 pound of milk this morning. Might as well.

Oh, and now I will wash my muddy, stinky pig feeding pants.

Happy in Ga., Kris

Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  6:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Glad that Abby is feeling better! I know how you feel about the piggys...I'm kind of looking forward to getting a few more in the spring! They do add character to the farm don't they?! LoL

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  7:28:29 PM  Show Profile
Character and a whole lota mud! They were funny, though. While the guys were chasing them through the field, the black one, Jack Black, just laid down. He was a pooped pig. It was so cute. They sure did a lot of tilling for me, too.

If I EVER do pigs again, I'd like to try a Tamworth or some other kind of heritage hog. But it's gonna be a long time before I think about pigs again.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  11:13:44 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I'm glad Abby is feeling better and that you are "free" now. How wonderful for you. Now you can get out to the thrift store more often.
Let us know what kinds of goodies you find.
Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic 2 more days to go and Abby's sick Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page