Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 *Wanted* Child-safe Gelding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic *Wanted* Child-safe Gelding Next Topic  

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  9:32:48 PM  Show Profile
I'm looking for a very child safe gelding preferably a quarter horse, but might consider another breed. The horse can be an older horse. I just need as safe a horse as possible. The horse is for me, a novice rider with a previously herniated disc in my low back. This is why I need the horse to be very experienced and not easy to spook. I know there are many out there for lots of money, but I'm looking for one that is reasonably within our budget. If you have one, or maybe have a friend or neighbor who has one that just can't afford the hay prices anymore please let me know. Obviously this would need to be in northern ID or eastern WA most likely. Or, if you read this before Monday morning, we are going to Montana to the Stevenson livestock auction and maybe we could swing by to see your horse. If so, email me by midnight tomorrow for Montana possibilities.
I realize none of you may have what I'm looking for, but my father always said "if you are looking for something, ask everyone you know and come across, you'll find it"...so that's what I'm doing. It usually works for him.
Thank you for reading my "want".

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  10:16:44 AM  Show Profile
Have you tried Craigslist? That's how we found ours. I don't know about your horse-buying experience, but if it is limited, I'd suggest enlisting the help of your vet or an experienced friend, maybe even a breeder who knows tons about equine health and needs to help you make a choice that will really fit both your needs and the needs of your horse. Best of luck!

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  2:27:24 PM  Show Profile
Michelle, Thanks for the advise about Craig's list. I never would have thought of that to find a horse. My husband is very experienced, he's had horses his whole life and his father used to buy green ones and break them then sell them to make extra money. So far we've only looked at the money saver and local paper. The livestock auction doesn't usually have much I'm interested in horsewise that is.
Thanks again.

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  07:17:50 AM  Show Profile
Glad to help. I'm sure you'll find one that suits your needs. Keep us informed!

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  08:44:43 AM  Show Profile
I wish you were closer. I am giving my TB gelding away! He used to be a show jumper, but now is just a pasture mate, and since the opening of the store, I dont have time for two horses anymore.
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  10:31:35 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Try looking under dreamhorse.com...I have 2 on there right now and if you lived closer and wouldn't mind a mare/arab, I'd happily give her to you! She is one of our best kids horses here and getting up there in age but still a great, calm, tolerant horse! We're trying to downsize due to "childrens" lack of interest with horses right now!!! The 2 on dreamhorse are a quarter horse gelding - young and can be a stinker sometimes and the other a very sweet black mustang mare that just needs some time on her!! I wish I could help but try checking dreamhorse.

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

artbysue
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Sue
Kidron Ohio
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  6:28:54 PM  Show Profile
I was going to suggest www.equine.com in addition to dream horse.

good luck in your search!

equine and animal artist, Amish art, www.suesteiner.com www.amish-art.com
www.amulti-coloredlife.blogspot.com
http://www.cafepress.com/suesteiner
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  11:52:54 PM  Show Profile
Melissa & Sue, Thanks for the sites, I'm checking them out now!!
Who knows, maybe I'll get a horse for Christmas. (wishful thinking)
I'll let you know if/when I do get one.

Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  12:10:30 PM  Show Profile
equinenow.com and dreamhorse.com are great
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  11:16:52 PM  Show Profile
Well, haven't been able to find what I'm looking for close enough to me, but I'm still looking. Just thought I'd give an update.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  05:58:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You might want to also look at mares. A nice older mare can be just as sweet as a gelding.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic *Wanted* Child-safe Gelding Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page