Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Poll: When Do You Take Them Down?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Poll: When Do You Take Them Down? Next Topic
Page: of 2

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  05:03:07 AM  Show Profile
Are your Christmas decorations still up? Or have you taken them down?
When did you take them down? Is that when you usually take down them down every year?
Are there any traditions you have surrounding the event?
Are there any Christmas things that you leave out all year?
Just wondering...
(Mine are still up!)

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  05:19:20 AM  Show Profile
Used to do it all on New Year's Day because I would be off work. Now that my son is a college student I wait until after he has gone back to school. I have spent this week putting my village away and today the tree will be coming down.
I do know a lady who keeps a tree up year-round and decorates for each holiday. Just a 4 foot tree. It is actually very pretty!

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  06:01:57 AM  Show Profile
New Year's Day. It's a great way to start the New Year- clean and spare.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jennym
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jenny
Green Lane PA
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  06:09:12 AM  Show Profile
I start putting everything away after New Year's. My son's birthday is the 9th, so I try to have everything packed up by then for his party.

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  06:44:10 AM  Show Profile
Christmas evening the tree comes down. If I don't get it all done then the rest comes down the next day.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  06:52:42 AM  Show Profile
Usually, the first weekend after New Year's.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  06:53:47 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
I take down the trees and stuff around New year's day,but......I leave a small Nativity up until the 12th day of Christmas. When I went to college someone told me that they (their family) always left their decorations up until then. I always have left something up ever since.My son always helps me take down the decorations and we listen to our Christmas tunes (one last time)and pack all of the glass ornaments in tissue paper and treat them as if they were royalty!!

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  06:55:05 AM  Show Profile
I took down my Santa collection and all the extra stuff on New Years day so I could put back all the everyday things. Then about 4 days later I took down the tree. I love sitting quiet at night with only the tree lights on so it's always a little sad to take it down.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  06:58:43 AM  Show Profile
Mine are still up! I usually try to have them down by Martin Luther King day!!! I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  07:02:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love having the Christmas decorations up so they often stay up for a LONG time around here, but I am going to start trying to have them down by the first weekend after New Years. However this year they didn't even get used! I was gone all month and Doug isn't the decorating type.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  07:44:55 AM  Show Profile
I take mine down on Christmas Day and for sure the next day. One year, I started putting stuff away on Christmas Eve. Our family Christmas is on Christmas Eve ALL day and evening. So after everyone was gone, I started putting stuff away. Except for the fireplace mantel. Our daughter always puts a surprise in our stocking so I had to keep them up until Ole Ron got up on Christmas morning. This year was grapefruit spoons and chocolate dipped spoons. That is usually the best part of Christmas, seeing what is in our stocking.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  08:31:41 AM  Show Profile
I just put our tree up on Christmas Eve. That's the only thing, besides the fireplace screen, that was Christmas. We had some work done to the dining room, so not very festive around here. I just took the tree down a few days ago. It took 2 days to do, but it's all packed up now.I let the grandkids decorate the tree. We play Christmas music and oowww and aahhh over all the decorations. I have a wooden Santa hanging thing that just seems to stay in the bathroom all the time. And the snowman fire screen might be staying there because I can't remember what I did with the other one.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  08:38:06 AM  Show Profile
A day or so after Christmas. I leave the outside lights up a little longer so the neighbors don't have me committed.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9402 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9402 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  08:51:54 AM  Show Profile
Usually around New Years but it's busy around here so I am shooting for today. We shall see.

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  6:29:31 PM  Show Profile
I just took mine down today. I like to leave them up until Jan. 6. Isn't that Epiphany?? The night the animals can talk? Most things are put away. I like to leave snowmen out if they don't look too Christmasy until...oh....March. I left my stairway decorated with the lights and garland but took off the ribbon and beads. This house has a very pretty staircase and banister. It takes about 3 days to decorate just the staircase. There are places in this house where I leave white lights up year round. We didn't do lights outside this year but one time somebody asked our youngest son(the light guy) how long we leave them up. He said usually until he gets into trouble. Then he has to take them down. Once they were up until April. He must have been really good that year.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  6:39:23 PM  Show Profile
I take the tree down the day after christmas, We leave the lights up outside until Jan 1st. The wreath stays onthe door until Jan 1st too.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  7:32:17 PM  Show Profile
I just took mine down today. usually it is when I get around to it.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  8:29:27 PM  Show Profile
I put mine up a little later than usual this year, and just got the tree down and most of the other things put away today. Usually I do this the first wknd. after New Years, like many of you. I wasn't in a hurry to put things away this year, I guess I was just still enjoying it all!! I do leave a little greenery around, until it's time for spring decorating, spring flower arrangements just don't go to well with so much snow on the ground. My wreath is still up also, and will stay up for awhile longer!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  9:50:32 PM  Show Profile
You mean I'm supposed to take them down??

ROFL

I usually get 'em down by the end of January. I love Christmas and especially love having lights up, so it takes a lot for me to take them down. :)

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  03:52:46 AM  Show Profile
MIne usually comes down New Years Day, or the weekend after. I do leave a small tree up year around in the dining room. Deocroating it for the different holidays. I also have Christmas plates up year around, that my boys made in school. I also like to sit, with just the tree lights on and enjoy. I do hate to start taking stuff down, but once I start, it is nice to have everything cleaned up.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  5:48:11 PM  Show Profile

We just took the tree down today and I hate to see it go. DH propped it up in the snow by the brush pile so it would look like it was still up to cheer me up!
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  7:23:33 PM  Show Profile
New Year's day or the day after.
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  04:22:15 AM  Show Profile
I like to take my tree down the day after or a few days after Christmas...at least by New Year's Day. This year we were behind and the tree came down on the 5th but I still have 2 poinsettias and some greenery on my mantle that is still green so those things will stay until they die.

I like the start of a New year to be clean and fresh....which means everything put away and ready for life to move on.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  05:09:11 AM  Show Profile
we usually take our stuff down between christmas and new years....thats because i'm usually cleaning the house (and so we get all the decorations/tree,etc out) because i always have people over for a new year's eve dinner. this year, however, we left the tree and decorations up till new year's day so that we could still enjoy them during the new year eve dinner. i love the way the house looks when it's decorated for christmas and the people that we usually have over for new years eve haven't seen the house during the actual christmas holidays... hey, before long it'll be time to decorate for valentine's day!!!
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  07:28:07 AM  Show Profile
I take it down either on New Years day or the 2nd. I usually do a big cleaning on that day, too.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  07:34:50 AM  Show Profile
Well most of the time I take the trees down the day after christmas. We have 4 of those semi-realistic tall skinny ones on the main floor. However, this year the daughter and I thought that it might be fun to keep them up longer and decorate them for each little holiday and the seasons. So we will see. We decided that the one tiny one will remain decorated the same year around because it hold my danish collector ornaments that my grandmother gave me. So far one is ready for valentines day! My son made me a bunch of roses made from red, pink and silver duct tape for it.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Poll: When Do You Take Them Down? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page