Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Need Ideas for a Calmer Evening
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need Ideas for a Calmer Evening Next Topic  

HeathersStitches
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Heather
Lancaster OH
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  3:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Send HeathersStitches a Yahoo! Message
My DH has a new job..YAY..but it's an hour and half away from here, he leaves before anyone is up and comes home late at night, I deal with the 3 kids and animals..the kids are used to having dad home for dinner..this week has been the week form (you know where)..constant fighting and me yelling...they want taco's and pancakes for dinner and after the fighting over who plays with what toy I have lack of energy to cook a big meal, DH just grabs what he can. I need ideas for a calmer evening and some kid friendly meals that I can fix fast..can't order a pizza here, we live to far out for delivery..lol.. I'm feeling drained/tired and cut off from the rest of the world tonight. Next week DH goes on a business trip and leaves on Thurs. for the weekend

http://heathersheartfeltstitches.blogspot.com/

http://theforgottenbookshelf.blogspot.com/

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  3:26:26 PM  Show Profile
When we had a home of our own, I know my oldest one really liked helping make dinner especially homemade pizza I would sprinkle the cheese and then let her put her own (ones I chose of course) toppings on. She was only a little less than two. I found with her and the baby, that on nights hubby was away for the evening, that it was better if I stuck to a good schedule. We ate dinner, she got a bath, watched a movie, and then time for bed. My dinners weren't always fast, but if I let them help, they didn't seem to mind waiting quite so long. :)
Hugs!!!

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ThePixiesPlayhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Terri
Biggs CA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  3:37:42 PM  Show Profile
My crockpot is my friend.....I can start a meal when I have time (early in the day), and then have time for homework help etc. in the evening.

Farmgirl #428

"It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought, without accepting it"
Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  3:54:03 PM  Show Profile
Have a sit down dinner with the kids at the reg. time. Eat a little something with them. Then baths and tv, or what ever the routine is. Then when dh comes home they are ready for bed and full.I don't know how old your kids are, but have them make some pictures for Dad or something to give to him when he gets home. Kids love that. Just warn your dh to make a big fuss over whatever it is.Kids do seem to settle better once they have had dinner and get their pj's on. What ever you had for dinner make a plate up for dh and put it aside.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

Edited by - Nancy Gartenman on Jan 09 2009 3:57:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  4:39:38 PM  Show Profile
The other ladies all gave good advice.
I am sending you A big hug. pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  7:00:17 PM  Show Profile
We always cooked dinner as a family. Kids always helped too. One rule that I started even when they were very small was that about an hour prior to bed they would have wind down time. This usually meant reading. My husband and I started reading to our kids before bed even as babies. We read to them until they were out of grade school. They also read themselves a lot and after grade school keep this tradition before bed. They were always good sleepers too. I usually let them play prior to dinner and then after they helped get the dishes done. I think this helped my family to par down for the night.

Madelynne
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need Ideas for a Calmer Evening Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page