Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 diabetic and dieticians?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic diabetic and dieticians? Next Topic  

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  08:51:46 AM  Show Profile
I have been a diabetic for 3 years now and have never gone to a dietician. My "old" doctor said they only confused people and did not help so she would never agree to send me to one (needed for insurance to pay). I am about to change doctors and was wondering if I should pursue this with the new one?
My blood sugar is not out of control BUT I am sooooo tired of the way I eat and I use to love to do Weight Watchers (but they won't accept a diabetic without doctor's permission) and just really feel like I need some help. Has anyone who is a diabetic gone to one and felt good afterwards?

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  08:55:57 AM  Show Profile
GO! My Dh has been a diabetic of over 20 years. When we moved here to K-Falls & and found a new Dr. He referrred us to take the diabetic nutrition class at our local hospital. It was very beneficial to us to understand exactly how diabetis effects your body's organs & function. He is feeling much better and so am I. The information was really helpful to me since I do most of the meal planning..

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Jan 09 2009 08:58:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  2:44:52 PM  Show Profile
I went to Diabetic Classes; I can see where she might think that
They gave me a book with some things to watch for and how to eat right.
I think Weight watchers might be okay with you.
Since you have been Diabetic for that long; I am sure you are eating right.
My blood sugar readings are pretty good.
Sometimes low.
I too need to loose weight
It is so hard
I have severe refluxe disease too ; and eating right is hard.
hugs Sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  4:26:09 PM  Show Profile
I used to work for WW and we never had to have a permission slip from a doctor to accept a diabetic. Check with WW in your area.

Lililan
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  01:10:09 AM  Show Profile
I took the class offered thru the Diabetes Center at Park Nicollet Clinic here in Minneapolis. (Great clinic!!!!)
I was glad I did.
Both of my parents are diabetic, and my Mom has great control over her numbers. (Guess which parent went to the class, and which one blew his off!)
Both were diagnosed within a year of each other.

My Mom taught me a lot, but I took the class anyways, just to clarify things. For instance, I thought I had to avoid any kind of sugar forever. I was so relieved to learn Carbs are evil and hate my pancreas; not chocolate.

It is worth going for an evening or two, just to learn a few things. I would think with the epidemic of type 2 out there, you could find a low cost or free class of some kind. Bring a note book and writing utensil. Notes are helpful!
Also, my friend at work is diabetic, and she lost 60lbs. on WW. She never had an issue permission or waivers, but perhaps it is a state thing. They are just trying to cover their tukus, and you can't blame them for that.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Jan 10 2009 01:14:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  9:03:48 PM  Show Profile
Go! So what if you leave confused, at least you will know. It's only a couple of hours of your life.

But, more often then not you will not leave confused.

1. The average public is stupid! So many stupid people probably do leave confused!

2. You're a farm girl so probably not the stupid average public! lol You will probably leave with more info!

3. I've never left a dietician confused! Ever! I always leave knowing a few things I didn't before!

4. I have a diabetic friend who started going to a dietician, and guess what? She's lost 200 lbs! Yes, you read right, not twenty pounds, but two hundred pounds! She is only using a dietician!

5. While you may have your numbers in control, you may be able to even get better off! I personally had my numbers in control for years! Till I started learning, really really learning about nutrition (like a dietician would), and you know what, I went from using over 100 units of insulin a day, to no medication what so ever. I was on insulin for many years. Now I have been medication free for nearly 5 years! My last A1C with out any medication what so ever, and being pregnant too (Which makes blood sugar go up), was only 5.1.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  9:57:22 PM  Show Profile
And there you go, Heather speaks volumes-good for you!!!!

Janiee,
You many not even need to waste your money going to WW. If i recall, my friend who attended WW said both diets are very similar.
I lost thirty pounds after I took the classes. That was just changing a few things, and using common sense, combined with watching my carb intake. Oh and I dragged the doggie around the block a few times, too.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  10:44:36 AM  Show Profile
Good for you Kate.

Also I think people forget that diabetes if a progressive disease, so just because your numbers are in check today doesn't mean they will be tomorrow. Because as time goes on diabetes just gets worse, as it progresses. We can slow that progress with exercise and proper nutrition. So my point is, it's ALWAYS beneficial to try to learn more about diabetes, on any level if you are a diabetic. Cause again just because the food you eat today is ok for now, doesn't mean as time goes on that same food will keep your blood sugar level.

Especially for type 2's. I'm a type 1, but I try my best to keep informed. And with type 2's you are always losing beta cells, (a cell in your pancreas that makes insulin-islet cells also are dying which is another cell in the pancreas), the main reason for type two though is resistance the sugar/glucose and insulin will not stick together and go into your fat cells like it's supposed to and instead the glucose just keeps floating around. At the same time you are not producing enough insulin because of the beta cell thing. Well, as time goes on you have less and less, and therefor less and less insulin, and there for even less insulin that may stick to the glucose for it to work. And then that makes higher blood sugar levels. So that is my point in just because the food you eat today is working ok doesn't mean it will tomorrow, especially if you know nothing about how to eat correctly for diabetes.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Jan 11 2009 10:47:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  12:47:33 PM  Show Profile
Ole Ron has had type 2 for about 8 years now. Seems like we have to start over ever so often because he relaxes his efforts. He still dosen't understand how exercise effects his blood sugar. We have had education at our local hospital, a bigger hospital, another state. When he went from meds to insulin, we had another session with the diatition at our hospital and another session with another diatition. I have bought and read at least a half dozen books. With every meeting with a professional, I learn at least one new thing. And, they usually learn something from me too.

I do not know how much the diatitions charge because our ins has always paid. There are lots of good books at the library you could check out. Keep in mind, some books and professionals contridict each other. And they are always changing what is good for you and what is not.

Good luck Janie. Hope we can be of some help.

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  3:41:27 PM  Show Profile
Well said, ladies. Janiee, in any case, it won't hurt to inform yourself and speak to a dietician, and take a class or two.
Just keep an eye on your sugar levels while you make the few changes and see what works for you.
For intance, my Mom can't eat pizza. It throws her numbers off balance.

Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  11:00:01 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies for all the feedback! I will certainly check out the dieticians in my area..
janiee
Farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic diabetic and dieticians? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page