CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  12:56:56 PM  Show Profile
ha! ya'll jus' knew someone was gonna' mention that yearly list of 'wanna'-do's'.

we have a tradition .. and have had it since the girls were little .. every new year's eve .. we all sit with pen and paper and make our individual list of 'new year's resolutions' ... now, it's usually just hank and i making our list .. but it's still a fun and important tradition to us. (hank has saved every list since we began this about 30 years ago .. and its so much fun to look back at our 'grande plans' .. and oh how often some of them re-appear from year to year (those dreaded diet and exercise ones .. with a promise to take good care of ourselves!)

hank's list almost always includes more 'travel' each year to exotic places .. and i always have a new 'craft' i want to learn.

well .. farmgirls .. be thinkin' upon this .. and share your 'resolutions' with us ... we might each find something on YOUR list that we want to add to OUR list ... and we can encourage and help each other as the year travels on with some of our hopes and dreams.

and have a very, very happy and peaceful new year filled with warm memories of good times with friends and family. frannie

True Friends, Frannie

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  1:45:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Mine are very simple:

1) to finish unfinished projects and start new ones for ME (I am always at the end of my own list)
2) to love more, help more and criticize less
3) to get my home back into one piece after the tree incident
4) to spend more time outside and less cleaning

Pretty simple...maybe we should revisit this subject next year and see how well we all did!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  3:58:37 PM  Show Profile
Frannie - thanks for starting this. I have three very simple resolutions.

1. To organize my recipes -- get them on the computer and then print out into a 3 ring binder.
2. To sew for myself and my home -- I always end up sewing things to sell or give and never get anything for me.
3. Learn to make dolls!!

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  4:31:01 PM  Show Profile
Well...I could resolve to not make any more resolutions (How easy would that be!) But since I don't take the easy way out, here they are...

1. To practise yoga on a more regular basis
2. To bake fresh bread once again (oh, I remember the days)
3. To organize my "clippings" book - I save any tip-worthy magazine article I can find
4. To read at least one good book a month (along with MJ's)
5. To have the most fantabulous flower garden

I think if we all back each other up, we can meet our resolutions...join in!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  7:36:34 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I have a few:

1) to enjoy life more
2) make hubby take time off and enjoy life more, even if it means ME booking travel plans and shoving him into the car against his protests that he has work to do.
3) get better at coding websites (something I truly loathe).
Go to Top of Page

manda
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

amanda
corralitos cA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  9:23:16 PM  Show Profile
My resolution is to organize my life. I feel like I have so much clutter everywhere and my daughter's toys are always all over the house. We are both slobs and it drives my hubby crazy. I need to simplify!
Manda
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  06:08:35 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Well Frannie, I do the same thing on New Year's Eve - such a fun tradition! Since I haven't made my list yet not sure of ALL the things I want to do but the general one that comes to mind is to learn new crafts or get better at the ones I do. My oldest daughter and I are taking a "knitting socks" class. I taught myself to knit so I can make a scarf - but beyond that I need help! And I also signed up for a spinning class - can't wait to learn to spin. Ohhhhh, and convincing my husband that I need sheep or goats is another one! LOL

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  06:42:36 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, thanks for the jumpstart on my thinking. My lists are always so long that I feel defeated before even starting. That's my first resolution....make my lists more attainable. I'll put mine into two categories: Goals Wants and force myself to keep it down to three each.
Goals
1. Be more diligent with our homeschooling
2. Keep priorities straight and say no to distractions that come up
3. To make our home a refuge for my husband when he comes home from work

Wants
1. To plant even more veggies this spring
2. To lay in the grass with my daughters every day
3. To do more of the things I love and not feel guilty about it

Blessings
Catherine

P.S. I love it that no one really said anyting about losing weight! While weight is probably on the list, it didn't make the top spots! We must all be enjoying our lives!!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  07:00:02 AM  Show Profile
These are great-here's mine:
I want to have more fun, want to find the balance between work and play-get my zest for life back, be a little crazy, make the most of now, be present in everything I do, be positive, dream, live, learn, teach-Grow-Grow-Grow! :)

May all our new year wishes and hopes come true-Happy New Year gals!
Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  08:10:56 AM  Show Profile
Catherine, I have to put losing weight on my list. I have to lose at least twenty or I'm going to look terrible showing my horses next summer! I ride English, so I have to wear *gulp!* breeches. Beige breeches, so my thighs look even bigger. In fact, they look like a couple of Smithfield hams strapped to the saddle. *sigh*

I have other things on my list, but losing weight's a given. I. Must.

I also want to get my yard and garden under control; I've pretty much abandoned both since I started training outside horses. I want to bake more, and use more home grown produce, whether it's mine or someone else's. More veggies and fruits, ditch white sugar and white flour pretty much completely (except for the errant piece of chocolate!). I need to continue to bake all my own baked goods, and take the time to organize both my cash flow and meals better. And finish stripping all that @#$%&!! wallpaper off my bedroom walls!
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  08:20:46 AM  Show Profile
I wish I had saved my resolutions from all those years too. What fun that would have been to look back on. It's funny how some things that were so important back then mean nothing now. Anyway here goes:
1. Lose the last 18lbs (have lost 18 already)
2. Now that I have a working oven, start baking bread again
3. Learn to trust my own creativity
4. Save as much money as possible this year
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  11:15:47 AM  Show Profile
Farmgirls, these resolutions are wonderful! Thank you for sharing them. 3 seems to be a magical number so here goes:
1. I'd like to approach cultural norms with suspicion and questioning and invite more world culture and free thinking to our daily lives. (I've lately been wondering where these standards come from and why I sometimes feel pressured to follow them and then guilty when falling short of the glory.) silly customs that no longer apply, be gone!

2. I'd like to dedicate more time redirecting my children with 'yes' rather than feel as if I'm policing/disciplining them with a constant'no'.

3. I'd like to create more magic on the farm that visitors can experience and take with them to share.

blessings, Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  11:40:51 AM  Show Profile
Mine would have to be 1. stop procrastinating and just DO whatever it is on the list rather than worrying about it and putting it off 2. stop with all the clutter piles in the house and file paperwork as it comes through (the same day or close to it)
3. to continue to buid people up and not let the negative people around bring me down to their level

Since my family has moved closer and the parents aren't getting any younger, it's my heart's desire to continue to
spend time with them and enjoy the day for what it is.....time is fleeting and the moments are precious this is tired, but still bears repeating family is EVERYTHING :)

Ladies, those of you who have children, 1.teach them the value of giving back and paying favors forward. 2.Go through gently loved toys and clothes and all the unnecessary forgotten mounds of "stuff" cluttering your lives. Purge once a year...it's very theraputic.... . .

Same goes for the gardeners in the group. Find a family in need and BLESS THEM!

Try to put others first and with loving kindness even if you don't want to

If you can, daily, find one of the things in the natural world that makes you happy or joyful and say a prayer of thanks. Whenever I see butterflies, I request a prayer of protection for my family and give a word of thanks

Practice unconditional love, and remember those who love you too

Best wishes for 2006 :)

Go to Top of Page

Debs
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Debs
Wellington
New Zealand
100 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  1:25:06 PM  Show Profile
I have a few goals and resolutions for 2006 too:

1: to remember to live in the moment,
2: to remember to take "time out" and de-stress....
3: to declutter, get rid of a lot of "stuff" and simplify,
4: to learn more crafts, and
5: to meet some farmgirls!!!

Have a Happy New Year everyone!

Debby
Go to Top of Page

dakota
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Cindy
Stephen MN
16 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  9:30:16 PM  Show Profile
here's my :
I do volunter fundraising for our local Special Olympics well I am the chairperson .Well I want to more eager and spend more time workinmg on this
I want to open a business this year that's if I can decide want I want to do LOL
And last but not the least is to help my husband with bring in a some sort income < well maybe > and teaching my children more school things not just hanging around LOL .

Save Simply Quilts TV Show go to :http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/simplyquilts
This is a on line petition
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  10:45:40 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I have a tradition of doing this each year too. Now I'm wishing we'd saved ours. I usually don't include anything specifically about weight loss either. A friend of mine used to make a resolution to gain 20# each year. He figured that was the one he'd come closest to keeping.

Do more yoga.
Simplify, simplify, simplify.
Teach someone to sew, quilt or knit.
Walk the dog more often.
Keep a record of the books I read this year.
Plant more flowers--especially lavender and roses.

Have a Happy and Healthy New year!

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  10:14:53 AM  Show Profile
My list is not a big one this year but they will be tough ones.

1)To make store Manager by 2007
2)To lose weight(Dr's orders)
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  12:28:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
1)Teach more yoga (as well as practice)
2)Play guitar & piano weekly (and take voice lessons...been shy about singing ever since an ex said "your voice is (pause)..interesting")
3)Work steadily & diligently on my business
4)Spend less time in my head & more time with people
5)Use the mail often
6)Embrace myself...finally
7)Love my husband
8)Write, write, write (it's the best therapy, as is music)
9) oh, the list is so long...but nothing too serious. I just want to live & love & create. Be in the moment. Celebrate life.
10)And how's this for a conundrum: try to figure out how to not need to figure everything out! (ha, wish me luck)
11)Nurture people and pets and plants

Wishing all the best to my farmgirls
Happy New Year

J
http://schoolstreet.typepad.com

Edited by - Judes on Dec 31 2005 12:50:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  3:44:11 PM  Show Profile
It's getting dark....we're waiting with excitement to get outside and pop firecrackers. Our local feed store is hosting a big bonfire and fireworks show on their back pasture. Should be fun.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL Y'ALL!

Blessings
Catherine

P.S. you know the thread of You Know You're a Farmgirl When.... Well, here's a different one... You know you're getting old when you need to take a nap in the afternoon on New Year's Eve so you can stay up past midnight!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  3:46:32 PM  Show Profile
I promised I would only have one resolution this year....I have two:
1. To figure out a farmgirl business to bring in more money from home
2. To learn how to make felt with my wool from my sheep this year sometime.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2006 :  2:15:54 PM  Show Profile
My resolutions are corny this year but here they are:

To get better at cross stitching
To think about things with logic and character before speaking or acting.
To take better care of my skin (I am dry dry dry this year!)
To floss daily. (I tend to forget)

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  12:40:49 PM  Show Profile
Mine are to eat better, lose weight, and write more!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  12:53:13 PM  Show Profile
Jenny - your resolutions could be combined! You could use your wool felting knowledge and make it a business!

My resolutions:
To increase my faith through study and prayer
To let go of negative thinking

"Sell cleverness and buy wonder"
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Macleigh
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Tennessee
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  3:27:21 PM  Show Profile
JP, yours are both worthy, worthy resolutions! (Good job on the poem, by the way -- you see, I'm topic hopping.)

Mine are basic:

- To serve God faithfully
- To encourage and help others
- To exercise consistently
- To make more moves toward being able to write professionally from home
- To keep in closer touch with friends

Hope sustains the farmer. -- Old Proverb
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic New Year's Resolutions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: