Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Want to see something green again?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Want to see something green again? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  09:44:19 AM  Show Profile
I'm tired of the mud and slush already, and I'm stoked because now I know how to post pics here! So I'll share a couple, because I miss warmth and green things. The first is of a double rainbow over my little red barn.

And the second is of some hollyhocks beside my deck. You can see the old milkhouse in the background, and the crib. Behind that are some beautiful woods where we ride the horses.

This third is looking out from my front porch at a storm. Here in Illinois, the land is very flat. I can see storms play out from miles away. My grass is dormant and brown (terrible drought year) but the beans across the road are green!

Okay, now I feel better.

Anybody else have some green stuff to share?

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  09:58:04 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful-just beautiful-thanks for sharing. Now, I really want to get out there working in my gardens-I have hollyhocks too-such a beautiful flower-yours look a bit nicer than mine did-mine aren't in such a nice cluster.
Okay-back to work for me, but with wonderful green thoughts!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  10:01:50 AM  Show Profile
Mary Ann -- your pictures are just stunning! A breath of warm weather on a dreary rainy WA day! Plus they make me so homesick for IL that it brings tears to my eyes. Could I get a copy of your barn picture? I collect them and that one is just so pretty. Thanks.

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  10:10:22 AM  Show Profile
Here's my green contribution. This is a pic of when we went swimming last summer at Lake Merwin. The people in the pics aren't any of us -- just some swimmers. But the scenery is so pretty.

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  12:32:34 PM  Show Profile
Gosh Kay, I'm really flattered! I don't have any prints, but you can lift my digital one if you want. Sometime, when the weather isn't so dreary, I'll take you on an inside photographic tour. It's an old building, with hand hewn beams and lots of interesting (to me anyway) details.

Thanks so much for posting the green and blue! I grew up on a river, and grow nostalgic over the smell of dead fish. This looks like a beautiful place to get away to!
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  12:42:09 PM  Show Profile
See now, that's what I want. A red barn with a double rainbow above. Hollyhocks beside my porch. Old milk house and corn crib in my backyard. Beans growing across the street. Mary Ann, you have a dream setting. Thanks for sharing. Gives me hope!
Rebekah

"All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well."
Julian of Norwich
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  12:49:56 PM  Show Profile
Gorgeous Mary Anne. I love the hollyhocks. I don't have any yet but look forward to getting them going.
I am anxious for spring, only because I have started getting seed catalogs and am finding al kinds of things I would like to grow.
We have had such stormy, rainy weather that my daughter had to come home from work, a beautician, as there is so much water in the sewer that water is backing up at the salon. Ick! Blue sky is trying to break forth as I write, I am game for that! Julia V.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  1:36:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Can I move in? I cook and clean and do dishes! Fabulous setting for a farm girl.Envy is a sin so I guess I am a sinner!

PS I see Hollyhocks get rust on them in Illinois too. i feel better.

Edited by - Fabulous Farm Femmes on Dec 28 2005 1:37:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  3:44:02 PM  Show Profile
Rebekah, I really feel lucky to have found our old house. It's kinda plain, but that's okay. After living for nine years in the beautiful hills of southern Indiana, I had to learn to love the flat land here. I came to find I could see every sunrise, and every sunset; I could hang out my laundry and by the time I was done hanging it, the first stuff hung would be dry thanks to our prairie winds; that the soil is rich and loamy black like potting soil, and a treasure beneath my feet. The traffic noises on that road get me down sometimes, but it must not be too bad because I'm still here! I can ride down a long lane to the woods, and I can be gone all day without hardly crossing my own path. Sometime I'll take y'all on a Virtual Trail Ride.

Julia, I'd sure like to hear about your seed catalogs and your choices this year. I miss getting seed catalogs and planning out my garden. I tore up the hot bed and cold frame some years back, as they weren't used anymore. How I miss them!

Diane, you do dishes, cook and clean??! Hot dang, girl! C'mon over!!! The hollyhocks are mostly volunteers, and I didn't really want them there; but we know all too well that seeds go where they please, not always where we plant. I have them on the south sides of the milk house and the cob house, too. If you know of any good easy organic ways to get rid of rust, I'd like to hear them. Emphasis on easy; I'm usually out in that red barn with a horse, not gardening like I should.

So who else has some green to share?
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  3:54:06 PM  Show Profile
Mary Ann -- I love to garden so if Diane moves in to cook then I'll move in to tend the hollyhocks - ok? I've never had hollyhocks before but my dear friend, Sher (The Farmer's Daughter), sent me seeds last fall from hers. Can't wait to plant them.

Go to Top of Page

Snowden Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Mumsie
Valley WA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  3:57:20 PM  Show Profile
I don't have any pics to share..cuz I haven't figured out how, yet..but I did love seeing the pics of Illinois..spent the first 7 years of my life in Danville. It has rained here so much that all our beautiful snow is gone and all we see right now is low clouds and lots of brown! It was 45 degrees here on Christmas day..and 12 below zero just the week before with 6 inches of snow on ground! Thanks for sharing the pics all you farmgirls! Mumsie

Live simply... Love deeply...Hope forever!
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  4:14:44 PM  Show Profile
Maryann -

The view of the green beans across from your home reminds me of my parent's old farm. We lived on a busy highway, but across the road was a 200 acre plot usually of grass seed, red clover or wheat and you could see for miles. It was quite beautiful to see, the only catch was when the crop duster would spray the field in early spring you could look out my parents front window and see a plane headed right for the house. Use to scare the people driving by but was entertainment for us kids.

Below are some shots from my garden last spring & summer. First is the pink Tree Mallow and the second are orange asian lilies. The pitcher is full of flowers from my garden.

[] [][]

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  6:09:29 PM  Show Profile
Those are beautiful, Anne! Warmth, and green growing things.... *sigh*

Thanks; I needed that!
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  04:21:30 AM  Show Profile
MaryAnn,
I can even feel the door open with a warm summer breeze blowing through.
Thanks.
I have old fashioned hollyhock seeds if some of you want some. Mine get to be 6' or more tall.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  05:54:10 AM  Show Profile
Mary Ann,
The pics are beautiful. I'll be next in line to move in. Although it sounds like you enjoy the horses, I'll muck the stalls, clean the tack, etc...

Ann, your flowers are stunning.

Marianne, I'd love some of your hollyhock seeds. I'll email you my info.

I need to learn how to do the pic. thing and share pics. Down here, today, it will reach almost 80 degrees and tonight it will be in the 40's. With the warm weather the azaleas are still blooming and the cameilas are popping out with the cool weather.

I look forward to the virtual tours!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

cherryhillhouse
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Barb
Dorr MI
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  06:11:31 AM  Show Profile
Those photos were just what I needed to rev up a VERY gloomy Thursday here in Michigan. The weather folks say we've gotten something like 12% of the possible sunshine in the last two weeks -- thanks for sharing with us. I shoot and collect barn photos as well and that is one of the best I've seen!

Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  07:41:34 AM  Show Profile
Marianne, Being that hollyhocks by the porch are now part of my vision for a farmhouse, I'd love some of your seeds. It would mean so much that they came from a sister farmgirl. I'll email you my info as well. Thanks! Rebekah

"All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well."
Julian of Norwich
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  08:10:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh, those pictures are beautiful. The days here in SE WI have been so gray and gloomy lately, at least these brought some sunshine into my life today! I want Spring and flowers NOW!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  08:31:09 AM  Show Profile
wowzer .. you farmgirls are giving me 'spring fever' .. however .. yesterday, honey hunk and i headed for a nearby town to go to dinner and to see King Kong ... (enjoyed it .. but it is pretty scary for the little ones .. lots of big bugs and killing going on!) and as usual .. we took the 'back roads' .. i was pondering your desire to see green .. and looked for it here in the hills of kentucky ... mostly this color was found in stately evergreen trees .. and there were some sweet subtle shades of greens in the fields .. but mostly .. it was a wonderous shade of 'wheat' and i truly wrapped myself up in these rippling tans of uncut grass and weeds and the deep browns of the muddy furrows. but .. i am looking forward to the bright sunny yellow of tall sunflowers come summertime! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  1:47:26 PM  Show Profile
Here is one of my favorite pictures from this summer. Not sure if I'm doing this right, so I hope it shows up for you.

Blessings,

Missy
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/my_hens/detail?.dir=mail&.dnm=5f8d.jpg&.src=ph

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  4:31:39 PM  Show Profile
Missy -

Beautiful sunflower. I just love sunflowers. I did'nt grow any this past summer, but the summer before I had some beauties. I will have to plant again this year. Thanks for sharing.

Anne

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  5:15:30 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Barb! I think I just got lucky, but thankyou! It was after one of the very few storms we'd gotten last summer, and it still wasn't much rain.

Missy, thanks for the beautiful pic! It absolutely glows. Yep, that's the kind to get out and look at when the snowballs fly.

And Catherine, you come right on up; we'd love to have ya! Maybe you can help me plant a garden as lovely as Anne's.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  8:14:54 PM  Show Profile
Mary Ann-

I'll come help you plant a garden, but believe me mine was not an overnight success. It took 9 years to get to the point where I could pick a bunch of flowers for inside and not clean out my yard. I newest thing is to have enough tulips to pick a big bunch and still have plenty left outside to enjoy. It's slow but I am getting there. When spring comes, I will post more pictures. Actually I have a little bit of green going on right now, my winter jasmine it starting to bloom. When it is in full swing, in about a week, I'll take a picture. It is the only blooming item on the whole street. It will even bloom in the snow. It is my hope of spring to come, every winter.

Anne

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  8:35:36 PM  Show Profile
Anne, your flowers are gorgeous!!

Mary Anne, I am having to rethink my gardens and beds as the deer have pretty much devistated areas. We will be fencing in the biggest garden,veggie/ flower/ herb/ berry.I didn't get to see three roses bushes bloom because of the deer. We bought this house last Dec, so this summer was my first here to garden, and a bit disappointing cause of the beasties. So, hopfully next year will be better with a fence up. At the front of the house, I will be putting plants that the deer have left alone as a deterrent ( I am rolling my eyes). They must be low on food as they are eating things they normally don't.
I love getting my seed catalogs to dream with during winter. My seed list gets longer as the catalogs come in. I want to try some special Sweet Peas this year, my favorite. We have had such strong winds that it broke my trellis that my sweet peas climbed on this year. I do plan on starting some Hollyhocks. My mom brought home some seed from a Hollyhock plant in England that is a beautiful single, soft pink and I have seed for a black hollyhock from a friend.
Now as for green... I noticed today that in my front bed the green noses of my bluebells. Seems early, but it made me happy. SOme people have Camillias blooming. Julia V.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  04:51:24 AM  Show Profile
*sigh* I won't see anything blooming for at least three to four more months. Another month or two of intermittent below zero weather isn't out of the question. Town people have things blooming before country people, by a week or two. It can be harsh out here, and even the buds seem to know it. We're on a border line between Zone 4 and Zone 5. I feel for you with the deer, and feel fortunate that they stay pretty much out of my yard and in the woods here. We have other critters, but the deer aren't a problem for me.

I remember having a seed list.... *sniff*

I'm going to post on the gardening thread about favorite seed sites online, and I'd be grateful if you'd contribute. I'm probably too late for the ones to be mailed, but maybe I can pick up some stuff online this year.
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  2:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Mary Ann, your photos were like going home.
I have family and roots in southern Illinois, so the sight of corn and soybeans on flat land gets me every time.

I'll never convince hubby to move so far north, N. GA was as far north as he is willing to go, but I have always felt like home when on one of our old farms. They are gone now, but as a child we visited somebody in an old farmhouse, and there were currant grapes growing out in the yard. I spent considerable time munching grapes and rinsing my hands off with the old water pump. Nobody seems to be able to remember whose house that was when I ask about it now, but I remember it was an old white farmhouse, and there was corn growing, and an old barn I wasn't allowed to enter. I also love the smell of grass there in Illinois.

(contented sigh)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Want to see something green again? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page