Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 pony stepped on chicken's foot ??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic pony stepped on chicken's foot ?? Next Topic  

hipmamato4
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

danielle
wernersville pa
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  05:28:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi. This morning when I was feeding the critters my pony stepped on a young chicken's foot. It looks like there is a little bubble between one of the toes and up further there is some swelling, but I am guessing that there is little blood supply in general to that area so there won't be much swelling anyway.

Is there anything that I can do to facilitate healing? I put her on some hay and turned on the brooder light for her. I am gone for the day, but I would love any ideas of things that may help when I get home tonight. Danielle

Homebirthing, home-schooling mama to 4 awesome kids, living an idyllic country life in Pennsylvania

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  6:49:03 PM  Show Profile
Hey danielle, I was checking in to see how your chicken is tonight. She may be a little gimpy for awhile. I do hope she's ok.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

hipmamato4
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

danielle
wernersville pa
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  8:14:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, you are so sweet. I just got home tonight from a lovely unmedicated birth (as a doula) and went out to check her. She is laying in the hay, same spot where I left her, under the heat lamp. Her foot is more swollen and looks a little worse than this morning so I must have found her right after it happened today. I feel SOOO badly. I was the one that put them in the stall with the pony, b/c at the time I had nowhere else to put them. They were in there about 3 weeks with no accidents. I moved all 12 out today so there won't be any more accidents though.

Homebirthing, home-schooling mama to 4 awesome kids, living an idyllic country life in Pennsylvania
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  07:32:55 AM  Show Profile
I hope she'll be ok soon. It will probably take a while and she may always limp. Those bigger animals just plow right over those chickies sometimes without even knowing or caring.

Your doula job sounds so fun and very interesting, too. I almost had my first at home. Wish I had now. I wanted the water bath but they didn't do that then. So I just went totally natural both times. So much easier.

You'll have to tell of some of your births here soon. I love hearing stories about home births. I like to watch the Baby Story on TLC and sometimes they have a home birth.

Have a great day! It's beautiful here today. Kris

Go to Top of Page

stacyluu
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

stacy
tuttle oklahoma
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  9:13:34 PM  Show Profile
i had a chicken that was trampled on...(ok, so she didn't get out of the way of the chicken tractor)..anyway..her foot looked so bad for about a week, i thought it was completely crushed...scaley-skin off, toe screwed up...a farmer-neighbor told me to try to splash a little hydrogen peroxide on it...slather w/ vaseline if i wanted to...and leave her alone...there was nothing else to do...she wouldn't put weight on it..would hobble around, sit a lot, but finally she came out of it..and acts like nothing ever happened...but when i move the chicken tractor now...she just runs into the connected henhouse like she should...good luck w/ your gal...hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

hipmamato4
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

danielle
wernersville pa
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  07:24:34 AM  Show Profile
I went out to feed everyone this morning and Chicken Foot was up and walking around! I almost didn't recognize her and kept looking for the chicken lying down. She is not 100%, still limping like you said she would, but definitely MUCH better. I am so relieved. Next time something like that happens I will do the peroxide and vaseline immediately. Thanks for the concern and suggestions! I told my sister that where else, other than MJF, could concern for my $2.00 chicken stretch across the country!!

The other GREAT thing was that I got my first egg from these young girls this morning !! I am thrilled. They are in a dark barn, so the light from the brooder must have given them enough. Not sure who it came from, my guess is that it was one of the heavys, b/c the bantams are SO small still. I'm not sure an egg could fit out of them. LOL

Go to Top of Page

hipmamato4
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

danielle
wernersville pa
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  07:31:49 AM  Show Profile
Kristin--
I forgot to say that I did post about a birth a while back. I will do more again, I'm just never sure where to put the post--across the fence, fmaily matters??? I had about 5 in November, 1 this week and another mama due in two days. I do love this work. It is just so beautiful! My last mom was a family physician (resident) and it was her first baby. She did an undmedicated birth, but was not about to do it out of hospital. Her physician was her friend and then she had another doctor friend there. The really neat thing is that her doctor whose practice does about 700 births a year, said that they almost NEVER see an unmedicated birth any more. (sad) She was so happy to be a part of it. Mom birthed on hands and knees and baby was 9'4"!! They are so happy. The mom is a little bit crunchy and she hopes to finish her residency and go out West to be a country doctor who does house calls! I'll post about the next one--she's a primip (first baby) and is planning a birth center birth.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  08:26:40 AM  Show Profile
What a great job. Sounds like it's a very rewarding thing to do, too.

Glad your chickie is ok and congrats on getting eggs!

Kris

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic pony stepped on chicken's foot ?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page