Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  11:04:54 AM  Show Profile
Why is it that, when I am doing the best I can to conserve our $$ and making more things from scratch, that my family decides that store-bought is better?
Case in point, I have a freezer full of spaghetti sauce that I made this summer. It is light, delicious and perfect over pasta. Will they eat it? No. Why? Because it looks funny, doesn't taste right and isn't from a jar. Oh, wait! It is from a jar, just not one from the grocery store shelf.
Same goes for meals that I can make at a fraction of the cost from the prepared stuff and I still get grief. Aargh.
Okay, vent over. Does anyone else get this from their families or am I the only one? Really, I'm a good cook, a great cook in fact. But I am getting to the point where I don't want to cook anymore.
I am off to make myself an apple pie now. I am not sharing.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  11:20:25 AM  Show Profile
This reminds me of when I was younger...everyone in my school ate Kraft (Blue box) mix macaroni and cheese, and my mom made homemade--with breadcrumbs on top, and the lovely 3 different cheeses...except I hated it. I refused to eat it. "Why can't we just have Kraft like evryone else?", I wailed.

Now, years later, I love that macaroni and cheese, and can't wait for her to make it. In fact, I make it myself--and my husband says, "why can't you just make Kraft?"

Give it a few years, and they'll be begging you for your spaghetti!

Enjoy that pie :)
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  11:22:42 AM  Show Profile
Yep, my family didn't like my sauce, either. Not my tomato soup or pickles or anything else that they are used to eating with chemicals. They say it doesn't taste the same. Well, of course not. It's made fresh and organic. It tastes better! Silly!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4206 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4206 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  12:03:56 PM  Show Profile
Just a thought here, but when I make spagetti or lasagna, using homemade sauce, I do not precook any noodles. I let the sauce simmer all day in the crock pot, and then add my spagetti noodles, and let them cook in the sauce. I found with my homemade sauce, it would end up kind of waterery all over the plate, when I used cooked noodles. My kids would of loved to have anything boughten, but they had to suffer with good homemade things! My poor kids did not have a choice, and they never even had box mac and cheese, till they were almost grown.(at their aunts house). Life is tough sometimes!! :)

best wishes
Michele
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  12:15:18 PM  Show Profile
My solution to that problem was always--- "If you don't like it, you can give YOUR share to the dogs and go hungry!" Now that my boys are OLDER it's-- "If you don't like my food, YOU can cook dinner!!!" I'm a good cook too, MOST of the time (I have a few "misses" now and then!), but if I don't HAVE to cook, I WON'T!!!

My family has learned not to complain about what's put on the table in front of them. If they do, they know that they'll be scrounging for THEMSELVES for the next several days while I go somewhere ELSE and eat! I keep my word for the most part and they know that my "Threats" are really PROMISES!!!

And don't you DARE give them any of that yummy pie Karin!!! You can send THEIR share to ME! (LOL!!!) ~~~Hugs~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  12:20:00 PM  Show Profile
It's just me and my husband at our house, but we have what we have, and when that's what I cook for dinner, unless I completely ruin something, that's what we eat. This almost falls under the catagory of the parents letting their kids be picky eaters. If you are on a budget, and that's what's for dinner, they can go hungry or quit their whining and eat whatever you make. When someone goes "out of their way" to make a wonderful healthy fresh homemade meal, it's like a slap in the face. I know how you feel! My husband goes with any flow, so he's adapted to my grocery shopping methods and my kitchen management. the other day his mother sent us some cookies and she used ziplock bags and double bagged, and he opened them, looked at me, and said "how wasteful is my mother?" and I said "Atta boy!!! :) "

regarding spaghetti sauce: I have NEVER bought a jar since we have been married.(my single father dad did when I was younger and I hated it!!) I make my own from contadina crushed tomatos, tomato paste and whatever veggies. Of course when you use straight tomatoes, you'll want to add some sugar to level out the acidity, and a bit of water, salt, etc. I dont have a recipe, I just eyeball it. Well, if you accidentally use too much water, you can ad a few tea spoons of mashed potato flakes to absorb some of the water, and make the consistency a little thicker! My spaghetti is a FAMILY hit now, but its still my secret thickener!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  12:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I grew up on a variety restricted diet because of food allergies. I always wanted the stuff that other kids seemed to have like sugar cereals and such- Once my allergies were under control I tried some of those things- UUUGH! Gross!

I don't blame you for being upset. I know you know your family best- so you probably know the best way to handle their temperaments. But I agree with the other ladies. I figure they can eat your wonderful meal or eat nothing/pb&j and each time they complain about dinner- they could be assigned to make the next nights meal with only what is in the kitchen.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  12:55:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls. I have to say that the biggest offender is.... my husband! I have made the yummiest dinners only to have him look at it and say, "Blecch. Is that what we are eating?" My kids have listened to that all of their lives. Now they are grown and leaving, but he will still be here making comments on what I cook. Really, I am going to serve what I make and he's on his own to eat it or not. I think I just needed to blow off a little steam. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  1:28:01 PM  Show Profile
My Husband ALSO gets the line -- "Then I'll feed YOUR share to the DOG!" That usually shuts him up right quick!!! Now he makes it a point to say "Good dinner Sweetie" whether he liked it OR not!!! ~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  1:29:43 PM  Show Profile
My kids always loved my cooking. We have always tried to make everything from scratch if possible. Sometimes a box of mac and cheese made it to the table but its nothing like homemade mac and cheese. My son is living down in SLC with an aunt and going to college right now. When ever we visit him he asks me to cook one of his favorites and not to let his aunt have the recipe. Why you ask? He tells me it's not the same and he would hate to have her ruin it for him. One of his favorites is Butternut Soup with Roasted Garlic.

I always told my kids "we don't live in a Cafe and if we did the menu wouldn't have an alternate entree, so eat up". The very rarely complained.

Good luck,

Madelynne

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  1:47:04 PM  Show Profile
When my kids were younger, I really didn't know about all I know now. I was always a good cook and no one ever complaind about anything then. But it sure is different now! I grow all our main foods. Raise out meat. Freeze all I can. And have milk goats for our milk. I even butchered by myself, now, 20 meat birds. And have even butchered some rabbits. Do you think anyone appreciates any of this? NO. Every time my kids come to eat they have to ask what kind of meat it is or is there goat milk in the potatoes or biscuits? Uggg! I get so mad sometimes I don't care if they ever eat here again. But they do all the time. And even ask to take some things home. Depends on what it is.

Oh, and the other day my oldest DD wanted to cook the chili we always have after Christmas. I gave her money to go to Greenlife and get grass-fed burger because I refuse to eat any other kind. She said she would. So she brings it out and we're eating and I kept asking her if she went and got the burger and she said yes. Well, I had a feeling she was not telling the truth. And she wasn't. I will never trust that girl again. She went to Bi-Lo and got the meat. I am still tasting that nasty stuff.

So I do know what you mean, Karin. We get no respect at all. And if I were you, I'd eat that whole pie in front of them all.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  3:46:13 PM  Show Profile

Definately do NOT share that pie. If my husband complained I would make his cook dinner a few times..Or make him take you out to a fancy expensive place. His Treat

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Okie-dokie, then. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page