Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Steam Cleaning an all-wool area rug??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Steam Cleaning an all-wool area rug?? Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  1:07:17 PM  Show Profile
I have a 5 x 8 all wool area rug, that I believe, a cat has pee'd on. It smells...rather unsavory. And, since I believe this has happened sometime ago, but can't visually locate the spot, I'm wondering if I can steam clean the rug with my personal steamer, or should I have pay a company to come in and do it...it's the only darn piece of "textile" floor covering in my house that isn't washable--we got rid of our carpets a bit ago.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  1:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would assume you could if your personal shampooer doesn't have a beater bar. If it only injects water and then extracts it you should be okay. If you do have a beater bar you probably don't want to do anything to it as you could felt it. Especially if you use hot water.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  2:09:02 PM  Show Profile
I don't think it is recommended.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  3:59:12 PM  Show Profile
Hey Vi, I have a huge wol rug & have had it cleaned twice, both by local companies(here in Georgetown, not Cinci) & they didn't do squat. I had a similar problem with my incontinent Dane(now that's a LOT of pee). THe one company came in the summer & I had to take the rug outside to dry. I weighed a few hundred pounds, it seemed like, & even when it dried, just did not seem clean. Widmer's wanted a hefty price, but I think it may have been worth it, cause now my rug is just kind of a weird texture. I still have it, but the fibers seem kind of matted, or not like they used to be. & I still feel like the rug is kinda dirty,; it just hasn't been the same since. Good luck.. If you have a Widmer's, I would call them & ask.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  5:53:38 PM  Show Profile
I've used my home carpet cleaner on my wool area rugs all the time. Haven't had a problem. My cleaner also doesn't have a beater bar so maybe that's why it worked OK?? I too had a cat that had "problems" and I couldn't afford to take the rugs in and have them professionally done so I just did them myself. Now mind you, these are not top of the line wool rugs, just nice inexpensive ones. They might be a wool blend?? I'd try an enzyme cleaner on the spots first. They make them specially for pet soils. And to locate the area, your nose works wonderfully well (don't ask how I know!)but if you'd prefer not to get that close get a black light at Home Depot. It will show the stain.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  11:40:38 AM  Show Profile
Good ideas...Since I'm pregnant, I've fought the urge to get down on my hands and knees (and well, it's not that easy right now--I might not get back up!!!) and smell, but a black light sure would help.

A beater bar...I don't believe mine has one. It's just one of those Hoover steamers from Kohls. It's a nice one, but not like an industrial grade. I might just give it a shot--the wool is so tight on this rug, that it almost seems felted anyway. The drying part is of concern, though. I guess I need to hang it outside or something?

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  12:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It should just air dry, you can even put a little space heater on it if your need it to dry faster

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  4:06:21 PM  Show Profile
If you have a good snowbank around I've heard a good way to dry-clean a rug is to thow it face down in dry snow (must be really cold and clean snow) and walk all over it. The icky bits freeze dry out. Might be worth a try. I did it to several rugs before we thawed out this week and they are so much cleaner.

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Steam Cleaning an all-wool area rug?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page