Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Yet another use for Crisco...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Yet another use for Crisco... Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  2:26:38 PM  Show Profile
Well, I just went out to feed the pigs. Again. I kept hearing a banging noise in the goat barn, so went to investigate. I only saw 4 goats outside and then 1 poked her head out the door and went back in. So one was a missin'. Went on in to have a look and there was Ocho Belle, on the ground with her goat head all nice and stuck in the hay feeder. So I panic at first, of course, then laughed, then thought, how in the heck did she do this and how am I gonna get her out of it.

So as she's down there on the ground unable to defend herself at all, a few of the other evil goats decide to pick on her a bit while she's in such a rediculous mess. Goats are so mean to each other. So I assess the situation a few minutes, get her out of the barn away from the bad girls and into the holding area, to think about what to do with her.

I am trying to think who to call that would come help but not make a big deal about this and laugh about it.

Then I had a brilliant idea. Why not grease her head down with Crisco and it might just slip right on out? So I went in and got the little can, slathered it on both sides and turned her this way and that way and out she popped! Not to let her forget this little episode, I took a few pictures. I also took the feeder out. Don't want that to happen again.

So all is well and I've learned another lesson of farm life. I'll always keep a can of Crisco handy now. Who knows when I'll need it next.

Has anything crazy like this ever happened on your farms? I'd love to hear other stories.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb

ThePixiesPlayhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Terri
Biggs CA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  2:41:56 PM  Show Profile
Silly goat......I would love to see pics!
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  9:58:35 PM  Show Profile
I have one line of sheep that are NOTORIOUS for getting their heads stuck in EVERYTHING!!! It started with my very first ram-- the "grand-daddy" to the ewes who are forever getting stuck somewhere! Lately we have had no "incidents," but it's only a matter of time..... (LOL!)

I've only had one goat get her head stuck, and that's only because she has horns. (my vet was in an accident that year about the time they were supposed to be disbudded, so she and her brother are the only horned goats in my herd) I tried and tried to pull her out of the fence, but I couldn't, so I ran to get some wire cutters. Just as I got within two feet of her out popped her head! She hasn't been caught anywhere else since. Silly creatures! ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  10:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Kristin,
How funny.. good farmgirl ingenuity....

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Laura Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
Rancho Cordova California
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  10:08:16 PM  Show Profile
I just love goats. They seem to know what they are doing till they get themselves in trouble and then they just can't figure out how to get themselves out of the mess...
I'm glad that all is happy on the farm. I'm sure she will have some crisco on her neck to remind her of the mishap!

Laura Marie #369
lauramariedesign.com

"It's not the size of the farm but the size of your heart!"
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  11:29:49 AM  Show Profile
Nah... the OTHER goats probably licked it off! OR made fun of her!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin

Edited by - shepherdgirl on Jan 07 2009 11:30:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  1:04:35 PM  Show Profile
That's exactly what happened to the poor thing. The others knew she was stuck and took advantage of a few good swipes at her while she was all tied up. They just know when someone cannot defend theirselves. Goats are especially this way. I had one that would always, several times a day, get her head stuck in the fence. She had horns. The others would whack her a couple times and look around to see if anyone saw them do it. She was just plain dumb. None of the others would do it.

Go to Top of Page

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  1:59:37 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, that is hysterical. That sounds like a typical Olivia trick! Can you post pics? We would all get a good laught out of the "greased goat", I am sure!

Diana

Please come visit my animals and my Etsy store on my new blog!
http://www.frolicnfibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  4:53:35 PM  Show Profile
Yes, goats do seem to be rather "opportunistically ROTTEN creatures!!" (LOL!) Smart they may be, but they aren't THAT smart!

I have a couple of sheep that will go head to head with the goats (Litterally!), but sheep (at least not ewes) generally aren't into such random head butting like the goats (and the BOY sheep!) It's so funny to watch a goat and a sheep square off, than crack eachother in the noggin!! The goats always STAND UP first on their hind legs then come down with a THUNK on the sheeps head.

When they FIRST started doing that, the sheep were always SHOCKED! Now those wooly girls GIVE as good as they GET!!! It's too funny!!! and ALWAYS happens at DINNER time!!! I hear a chorus of "munch, munch, munch, THUNK!!!" all throughout the barn. I wonder if you could write a song to that? (LOL!!!)

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  4:44:01 PM  Show Profile
does she still have horns? where those the part that were stuck? Just wondering? I have a couple but they have never gotten stuck.. YET!!! hehehehe

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  5:47:07 PM  Show Profile
No, this isn't the same goat. Got rid of her a long time ago. Way too much trouble. This is my Lamancha. She did have her horns burned off when she was a kid but they sort of grew back a little like 3". And curled. Then in the course of several head butting episodes, they both eventually fell off. The one that got her head stuck in the fence had horns. That's why I only have hornless goats now. Too much trouble.

You know the horse type metal hay feeders that are black? That's what Ocho got her head stuck in. Very narrow spaces and I don't know how she did it. I've used these feeders for years with no problem before. Just a wierd day, I guess.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Yet another use for Crisco... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page