Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Are you washing those pot holders??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Are you washing those pot holders?? Next Topic
Page: of 2

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  04:32:00 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Just like your dishrags and dishtowels... why would you not wash your potholders? Incredible.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

"Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient." --Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  1:01:47 PM  Show Profile
I wash mine, but I don't think my mom has ever washed hers, and like your friend, it must work for her. Otherwise she keeps a fairly clean house, I just don't think it occurs to her to wash potholders unless something is spilled on them.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  5:14:01 PM  Show Profile
My current oven mitts are about three to four years old - never been washed. The other day my youngest granddaughter saw them and said "Yucky!" Hmm......guess I need new ones.....but at least they are not 30 years old! I usually throw mine away and start fresh, but it seems only a week or so and they are already "yucky"again. :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  8:08:55 PM  Show Profile
Wow. I can't even imagine not washing them for 30 years. Can you even make out what color they are anymore? They'd probably fall apart if she washed them now. It's probably the stuff on/soaked into them that's holding them together still!

I wash mine every few weeks unless I spill something on them or end up sticking a corner of it in something greasy or saucy. I only have one pair of them. So, if they're yucky and sitting with the laundry, I then use a dishtowel until I get them washed. I hate my oven mitts. They are so thick and bulky that I find it hard to even grab anything with them unless I stick the thumb right in the dish! Hey! I just had an idea...I could cut the mitts up and re-make them into hot pads. Then I'd have another pair or two when I get them dirty. Now why didn't I think of that sooner?

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  9:04:06 PM  Show Profile

Does anybody out there make decent potholders for sale...I am down to about 4 and they are looking kinda ratty.

Melody
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.com

Support the battered women's shelter on Pine Ridge Reservation! http://FriendsofPineRidgeReservation.org
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  5:13:17 PM  Show Profile
I wash mine as needed. Not fussy about dog or cat hair, I think we're immune to it. I just make new ones when I feel like it, we use them everyday for pots and hotpads.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  07:21:50 AM  Show Profile
Hubby works for a pharm co & he brought me home some fireproof gloves. They are ugly as all get out, but they certainly do the trick. & yes, they get washed every now & then (are still ugly though). I love them.
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  02:46:23 AM  Show Profile
I wash mine as needed, when soiled. OMG I can't imagine 30 years of filth buildup. EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  11:09:28 AM  Show Profile
ewww! 30 years???? I can't says I wash mine every week, but when they get food on them I toss them in with the laundry. And,,,,when they get tattered I toss them out in the rag bin.....it's easy enough to make new ones,,,infact maybe that will be my sewing project today...I have some all ready cut out,,,just need to be sewn together.
>^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  1:43:15 PM  Show Profile
YUCK!!!!! I wash my weekly or more if needed.

tina
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  12:23:34 PM  Show Profile
LOL..I am loving this post. Who knew potholder nasties would be such a hot topic..lol
I am still in awe--30 years!!!
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Life should NOT be a jounrey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming. "WOOHOO, what a ride!"

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  3:21:36 PM  Show Profile
If she hasnt washed her potholders for over 30 years, how clean is the rest of her house?
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  12:28:28 PM  Show Profile
I too wash ours when necessary.

I also use welder's gloves. Kind of nice to have a 5 finger grip.

these gloves also get yuckie wheh my fingers/hand graze the food or catch drips.

The grease and crusted on food is just asking for an ant invasion in our home! So no dirty dishes remain in the sink for very long, and most certainly.....NO crusty potholders either!
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  08:18:44 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
I have some oven mitts I made a long time ago that I just love, they are red and green vegtables that match my kitchen. I only use them during the holidays as I don't use the oven much. So they get washed once a year. OMG!!!!! I just took the mitts out of the drawer and they have been attacked by a mouse!!!! Oh, I feel awful! I loved those. I made some crocheted ones at Christmas and some hot pads for the table. OH, NO...you guessed it those too!!!
Sorry about these big pics I tried to make them smaller, I suck at posting, even the words go where they want to!!!
Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com

Edited by - kpaints on Jan 30 2009 08:27:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  08:41:42 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message

Melody, these are a couple of the colors I have available for sale, also have the red and green like the above post, or I can make any color/combo you want. They are made of cotton yarn, 2 strands so they are very thick. Guess I will be making another set for ME! I have never been able to understand how the mice get into my metal cabinets! I have tried mouse traps and they just don't work. Dash(dog) got one in the kitchen recently. Guess I don't need a cat....oh, wait a minute maybe I do! :(

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  09:10:08 AM  Show Profile
I just washed the ones in our kitchen yurt here. I don't think they've been washed since I left and they were gross. Cooking on the propane stove seems to leave a sooty bottom to the pans and it gets all over the potholders.

I think I just might get some new ones.

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com & www.wayofthewife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Are you washing those pot holders?? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page