Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  10:10:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
So how much over budget are you for this month, Belle?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  1:26:10 PM  Show Profile
I was shooting for $200. Counting what I spent last Fri, I spent $273.70. I know that doesn't sound like much to some of you girls with families. Keep in mind that it is just Ole Ron and me. And we buy our beef by the side from a neighbor and I worked all summer and fall freezing and canning fruits and veggies. AND, I am not counting chicken feed. I have all the eggs we need, but they arn't free.
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  06:14:41 AM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies,
Have any of you ever heard of Angel Food Ministries???? There are many of them in the USA. There is NO QUALIFYING! All you do is go to the location, fill out your order blank for the month.....give them the money and pick it up on pick up day.
You have to buy the "basic box" for $35.oo....and then you can buy as many of the specialty boxes you want.
It is really worth checking out. I'm talking rib eye steaks.......
There is a place to put in your zip code to see if there are any Angel Food Ministries near you. They are usually run in a local church. You do not have to be a member of the congregation.....or "join" anything. Just go to the website and check it out

www.angelfoodministries.com

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  02:38:42 AM  Show Profile
Great Idea Alee! I have really scaled down our budget the last 6-8 months and it is getting easier and easier. It takes me more time now as I make everything from scratch. I have still been buying noodles and torillas but I am going to start making them myself as well. I have a red beans and rice recipe and makes loads of food for very cheap. I add keilbasa and my grandmothers keilbasa sauce recipe to it and it is GREAT! There have been weeks where I got all the food for the 4 of us for less than $80, aside from buying from scratch I buy my meat from a local butcher as well. I've broken down the prices from Costco and they are on average 25-35 cents cheaper per pound to buy local, and I like knowing where my meat comes from too!

I am in a similar boat as you as far as debt. I started with a debt consolidation company a little over a year ago and hope to be paid off sometime this year. It's soo hard but good for you for getting proactive about it! Good luck

Lara #327

"Boots" Becker Homestead Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  11:57:36 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Here's my grand total for January...$421.65 - I guess that's not too bad but I'm going to try to get it lower in February! I'm sitting down tonight cookbooks and recipe drawer in hand and making out my menu for the month of February and one giant list. We'll see how far I get!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  12:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is great, Melissa! Check out the meal planning challenge thread too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  7:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Alee! I'm on the meal planning challenge too! (I've just been bad the last week and lost track of my responsibilities!) I'm still working on the month of February tonight so hopefully I can get it posted in the next couple days then have one giant grocery list to work from and one big giant shopping day!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  07:00:08 AM  Show Profile
I came in under budget, 99.69. My weekly is 100.00, HB is thrilled. Have you all noticed that eating healthier costs more.....

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  12:36:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kim- actually I think that at least in our area, eating healthy has saved us money- but then I cook from scratch so I think that helps too.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  07:07:29 AM  Show Profile
I cook alot from scratch as the sodium levels in prepackaged foods are too high. I found if I stick to less than 6% that I can stay off HBP meds, besides their expensive. Well this weekend back to the store...

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  07:31:13 AM  Show Profile
Just made my first Feb trip to the store. Not much of anything on sale. Bought mostly produce and dairy. Ole Ron had to have a half pound of his deli cheese. Produce is sky high. Cauliflower is almost $5 a head. Didn't buy any. Potatoes were higher than usual. Bought a 10# bag, $5. Anyway, spent $38. So far, that is keeping me under budget. Gotta make up for Jan.
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  07:03:28 AM  Show Profile
I went to the Winco grocery store, HB came too, I fully expected 'extras' in the buggy from him, but he was good. he is totally on board with me (us) on this one and even looked at things he wanted and picked to lowest cost brand or generic item he could find. We came in under 15.40. Then I went to Walmart, where I buy shampoo, cat food and items that Winco did not have in stock. I went over by 10.00. I needed Vanilla and Almond flavorings for baking. Thats ok, I'll make it up this next week, I hope.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  07:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kim- If Winco doesn't have something, make sure you ask the customer service desk to order it in for you! They will do that no problem and it doesn't cost anything extra. I love Winco's prices. My husband used to work there! I wish there was one here in Billings, but the Distribution centers are too far away. They couldn't get the food here and keep the prices down. I think they need to put a Distribution center in Spokane so they can hit Spokane area, Missoula area, Butte Area and Billings area!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  4:41:15 PM  Show Profile
I've been keeping track this month. We've been on a very tight budget as my work hasn't picked up at all.(Boo on you Google.) So, here's the tally for February so far.

Superstore:
(Crackers, rolled oats, brown sugar, raisins, mozzarella, milk, breadx2, broccoli, tomato soupx2.)

Highland:
(Milk, honey, pepperoni, hot smoked sausages, pork chops)

Superstore:
(TP, Mr.Noodlesx6, antiperspirant, cheddar cheese, lemon, onions, oranges, lettuce, vitamins, butterx2, tomato pastex6, breadx2, sugar, potatoes, flour)

Total so far: 102.95$

When all you buy at the store is basics for making things at home it's amazing how much stuff I notice is 'food product' at the store, all packaged up, shelf stable and full of things I can't pronounce. There are aisles and aisles of products that we don't even go down now :)

Well, now I'm off to make supper- pork chops, potatoes or rice, carrots, breadsticks, and salad. Yum!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  10:35:45 AM  Show Profile
Just got back from the store. Not much on sale so I just bought some fresh veggies, bananas, milk etc. Got out of there for only $39. I am on schedule for comming in under budget for the month. However, this weeks sale adds come out on Wed. I may have to make another trip just to pick up a really good sale item. So far I have spent $149. Doesn't quite make up for going over budget $78 last month but I am happy with what I've done so far.
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  07:15:39 AM  Show Profile
I came in at 128.00 last week. That included party stuff. I had a sushi making party and provided all food for all 11 of us. Crab, sticky tice, avocados, etc... We also had tempura. 28.00 over budget.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  10:14:00 AM  Show Profile
No more shopping until next month! Ole Ron needed some bananas so stopped by the store. Nothing on sale that I needed. Bought carrots, celery, purple onion and bell pepper for copper pennies salad for a dinner party next week. Bought mushrooms and a container of Chicken livers (just because). Spent a total of just under $10. That makes it $156.40 for the month. Next month is going to be out of sight. Going to Sams. Haven't been there for months and months. Out of everything that I buy there.
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  2:45:32 PM  Show Profile
I came in at 115.70, 15.70 over budget. This week, HB and I decided to try for a 70.00 week.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  3:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well I just spent $16 at the grocery store, and only $11 and some change was actually groceries. So we are doing good. That should be dinner for us for a few days. We are trying to eat more salads.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Pat in Tenn
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Pat
Tennessee
19 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2009 :  06:38:06 AM  Show Profile
Okay ladies, I am jumping in with you guys.

I have been trying to save on grocery shopping for quite some time. It seems like it would help to stay in touch with you that are also trying to stick to a budget.

Here is my info for my family:

5 family members (hubby, me and 3 daughters )
3 dogs ( oldest daughter works p/t & trying to buy all dog food)

Payday bi/monthly

Each pay-period I get $200 for everything, I mean everything, food health and beauty, paper, cleaners........

Between times my husbands works "extra side jobs" and I will get some where around $25 a week (maybe) for extras (milk, deli meat, etc). Some weeks there will not be anything extra to give me.

We have not lost any weight, have not missed a meal and somehow we make it each time.

It will help me to keep up with you all here and to track my spending to see if I can do better. I know that there have been times when I would only have $75 a week and that was it. Nothing to add to it later.

I love to bake everything, I cook all home-made. No pre-cooked or packaged items here.

I am going to buy groceries today and I will be back to report how I do.

Pat in Tenn
Born in the city but married to the country for over 22 yrs !
http://onlybygodsgrace.blogspot.com/
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/inhishands/

Edited by - Pat in Tenn on Mar 04 2009 06:39:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2009 :  07:44:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Pat!

Welcome to the forum! I know that by tracking EVERYTHING I have found lots of ways to close up little "money leaks" in my shopping budget! Also check out the Meal Planning Challenge. I find that also helps me stay on course with my shopping!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2009 :  09:00:11 AM  Show Profile
OK, finally made it to Sam's. Got everything on my list. Salmon, shrimp, fish, chicken breast, parm cheese, walnuts, pine nuts, dried apricots, maple syrup, lots of olive oil, cornstarch, chili season, artichokes, roasted peppers. Spent $220. That is actually my whole month's budget but this stuff will last at least 6 months or longer. So I don't think I did too bad. Besides the salmon was $21.33 for 3# bag and I bought 2. The maple syrup was $19.88. These are things that I would not buy at the grocery store. Then we went to the supermarket that we like and I can get KS milled flour. Yes, I have to go to MO to get KS flour. Bought 20# unbleached, 20# whole wheat, 5# stone ground corn meal, 5# organic flour for my MaryJanes sour dough and 5# rolled oats. Spent another $30 there. Then went to Panera Bread and spent another $11 on goodies and french baggett. AND we ate out at Red Lobster. Oh, and I have to go to the grocery store today. We didn't buy any "groceries" yesterday. Will try and figure out how I should spread yesterdays $ over 6 months. I'll not count it in my total for the month. Back to being frugal.
Go to Top of Page

Pat in Tenn
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Pat
Tennessee
19 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2009 :  09:52:16 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I went over to the Meal Planning challenge. Thanks for pointing me over there.

I will be back on here later to post how I did today.

Thanks!

Pat in Tenn
Go to Top of Page

Pat in Tenn
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Pat
Tennessee
19 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  09:27:01 AM  Show Profile
Ladies,

The shopping is done and I did it !! Stayed on budget !!

I went to the local Wal-mart to get everything. I had a few coupons to use.

I get $200 for the pay period for everything and I spent $198.77 !!

I saved $5.40 in coupons. At Walmart they do not double them so I was happy for that amount.

Payday here will be next Friday on the 13th and get to do this all over again, lol......

Pat in Tenn
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  10:34:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Pat!

Congrats! What kinds of foods did you buy? Do you have a Costco or Sams club near by?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grocery Challenge 2009 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page