LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  06:11:00 AM  Show Profile
Good idea, Sherri with the menus/shopping lists for ideas, also I have checked out the hillbilly housewives website too and it is much higher for our area too
Laura

http://cottagekids-laura.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  06:24:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Check out the meal planning challenge as well, Ladies! If nothing else it might give you some new menu ideas!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  08:24:15 AM  Show Profile
Finally went to the grocery store yesterday. First time this year. As I said in an earlier post, I only buy what is on sale plus fresh veg and dairy. There wasn't much on sale that we use so I came out pretty good, only $33.82. Ole Ron has to have his deli cheese that is over $9 a pound so he got 1/2 pound of cheese, we bought milk, bananas and tortillas that were not on sale. The only meat we bought was a 3# pkg of chicken tenders, on sale for $4.99. Then we bought head lettuce and 15# of potatoes, both on sale. Big cans of Folgers coffee was on sale for %5.99. The sale paper for this week is out and there isn't much on it. Looks like it will be another short shopping trip. BUT the Wal-mart Supercenter list is growing. I'm not even going to mention my Sam's list. Sams is over 60 miles away so I buy a bunch on that trip.

Alee, this topic is going to be an eye opener for a lot of us. Thanks for starting it.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  5:24:08 PM  Show Profile
My groceries came to only $69 this week!! Cleaning out the freezer - that really helped!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  6:05:09 PM  Show Profile
Bit of shopping yesterday, went to a local orchard for fresh cider and apples, and went to the butcher for meat..
orchard: apple cider(4L)4.50
apples 4.00
highland: lime 0.33
salami 1.84
chicken(roaster) 14.26
carrots 1.79
bread 2.59

Monthly total so far: 109.00$

Edited to add another shop today-

peanut butter 5.99
Pork Chop 6.19
Canola Oil 3.79
Tomato Paste (6) 3.54
KD (2) 1.58
Honey 2.99
Milk (2%,4L) 3.97
Butter (3) 8.91
Froz. Broc 2.99
Froz. Grn Bean 2.19
Brown Rice 3.29
Ichiban (6) 2.34
Soy sauce 1.59
Caesar Dressing 1.29
Grk&Feta Dress. 0.99
Baking Soda 0.99
Lettuce 1.49
Lentils 1.59
Raisins 1.88
Ched. Cheese 5.99 Total:63.58

Monthly total so far- 172.85$
I think that's about it for the month, might spend a tener on meat at the butcher, but besides that I'm good!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/

Edited by - sweetproserpina on Jan 20 2009 10:15:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  06:21:23 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
I'm doing inventory right now and heading out to the store before the "blizzard" hits tonight! Last week I only spent $36.00 and really worked hard on using everything I had from the pantry and freezer - this week my plan is the same. I had to buy grain for the critters last week so that took $33.69 out...I need to shop around for less expensive grain. Anywho, I've started a daily list to keep me on schedule so I've been getting up every am and making that nights dinner, doing laundry, cleaning, feeding critters etc. I try to push myself to be done by 11-12 so the rest of the afternoon can be spent making items for the new Etsy store I'd like to open by April! I'm shopping today for flour etc. and I'm going to add in making fresh bread/rolls every am. We'll see how I do when I return from shopping!!!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  09:17:42 AM  Show Profile
Just got home from my 2nd trip to the store this year. Went to Walmart and stocked up on paper and laundry products. Picked up a couple of office supplies and OTC drugs. It was $75!! It cost as much to clean yourself up after you have eaten as it does to eat. Then went to the store. Stocked up on sale items. Chicken noodle and tomato soup mostly. Spent a little extra for 2 different kinds of muchrooms for a mushroom pizza. Also bought a lot of cheese that was on sale. Blue cheese crumbles was more than a dollar off. Ole Ron had to have his deli cheese. He said he goofed when he ask for a pound and ment to get 1/2 pound. Yah right. Anyway that was almost $10.00!! Got a few fresh veggies. Bought milk, buttermilk and half and half. Total grocery bill was $61. Total for the year, $94.75.
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  10:10:07 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
I have returned from my shopping adventure - grand total of $93 spent. YIKES!!! This does include gas, oil (for my oil loving truck), dog food & cat food. I bought a few things needed for the pantry plus eggs, milk etc. and a whole bunch of stuff to start making my own bread in the mornings! I hope this works!!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  06:42:13 AM  Show Profile
Went waaaaay over budget this week. Will try to eat out of pantry next week w/only fresh stuff/milk from the store.....yikes
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  08:32:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I was just thinking about what to cook today and realized I still have some shelf surfing items that need to be used up to make way for our shopping trip at Costco!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  9:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I updated my monthly list on page 2!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  10:16:57 AM  Show Profile
Updated my list on page 4. SO far I'm on budget!

How's everyone else doing so far as the month comes to a close?

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  10:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is awesome Meg! Doesn't it feel great? I know it might be a little thing, but over time it can make a huge difference!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  07:02:30 AM  Show Profile
I haven't kept up with posting my groc shopping but I have kept track of my receipts and how much I spent. I have spent $197.95. I was trying for $200 for the month. Well, there is 10 days left in the month and I have $2. In the groc budget, that is. But I remember when I said I had $2 left for the month, It ment $2.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  08:37:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well I knew this month was going to be wacky for the budget and so with the next 3 as we are spreading the spending out a bit more. The big thing is that for the first 5 months of 2009 we have $1580 to spend and so far we have spend a little more that $450.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  10:59:22 AM  Show Profile
Woops! went over budget $2.40. Was in town and knew a storm was comming so I bought milk and bananas. At least Feb is a short month. Maybe I can catch up. Working on a Sam's list. That will really throw everything out of whack. But I only go every 6 months or so. Hope to get there sometime next month.
Go to Top of Page

msjocee
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Josie
Canyon Country CA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  4:35:33 PM  Show Profile
I will be doing the shopping this sat. after payday. It will last us until Feb.15th sso thats about 16 days of meals. Since I joined the reciepe swap I have gotten 4 cassorole dishes to try out and now I will getting 3 soups to try thats 7 new dinners!! The last shopping trip the market had a great sale on steak I never buy it unless it is on sale I got 5 NY steaks reg. $35 for $13 with my club card!!!! I always try to have everynighted planned. Though this next 2 weeks Hubby is a Sheriff and just got on to motors (the motorcycles ) use to be nights in a car, and since they are training they are eatting lunch out for those next 2 weeks that puts a HUGE wrench in the budget. He use to be home at lunch and ate at home. We hardley ever eat out maybe 3 x's amonth we order pizza or hit In N Out. So we will see what this does to Feb' food $$>

Mom to wild boys: Miah(10), and Jakie(6)

"Everything is Possible for They who believe."
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  09:03:43 AM  Show Profile
Another woops! Josie reminded me about the 2 times that I went by SubWay and brought home a $5 footlong for lunch. Now that puts me over another $10+tax.
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  09:17:26 AM  Show Profile
I started the grocery challenge at the first of the year and so far have stuck to it. So far this month I have spent $387.49 for groceries, paper products. The bill has gone down about half since last month. I have left the kids at home. I also only shop the perimeter of the store. Great idea, Cheryl for the inventory list. I'm going to do that this weekend. We don't buy meat at all as we eat only wild game and I buy chicken from the retail store at the local poultry farm, and eggs from a lady down the road. Happy shopping!
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  09:29:42 AM  Show Profile
Ingrid, I did not include paper products. Now THAT is a whole other deal.
Go to Top of Page

msjocee
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Josie
Canyon Country CA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  11:45:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes paper products that is a whole other deal!!!

Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  3:18:35 PM  Show Profile
This is so funny, because I used to love to play this game in the grocery store. I had a calculator in one hand, list in the other crossing off the necessities, hoping to have money left over for fun stuff. I am going to do this again as I want to pay off old bills that I am tired of seeing coming in every month as I am kind of worried about the economy and jobs, etc.. HB was laid off and it looks bleak for the kinds of jobs he is qualified for or even wants. I used to go as far as putting money in an envelope marked groceries, one marked for fun like movies, pee-wee golf, one for lunch money for kids, one for lunch money for me, one for Costco, etc... It seemd to really work for us. Think I will do that again.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  3:19:43 PM  Show Profile
I dont suppose, has anyone noticed , how much more expensive it is to eat healthy?

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

msjocee
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Josie
Canyon Country CA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  6:55:56 PM  Show Profile
Okay girls did the shopping today with my list I had planned 15 dinners, lunches , breakfast (those are easy!). I saved (drum roll) 141.18 that is with coupons and club card. I spent $279.45 that will last us until the 16th on payday. I even got us $10 gas card!! I really compared prices and what was on sale as to what my coupon was for and got the best deal I could. Also this trip I did not have to buy any cleaning, paper goods, bathroom goods, or clothes soap. I am well stocked in those dept. :)

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  07:26:46 AM  Show Profile
OK, I cheated. Went to the store on Friday. Wanted to get some stuff for football today and did not want to go to town today. Followed the groc adds and bought only what was on sale, dairy and produce. Also picked up some snack crackers for today. Although I spent the money in Jan, it is really Feb food. I wonder what excuse I'll use in Feb when I again go over budget? Friday I spent $71.20.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grocery Challenge 2009 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page