katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  08:55:06 AM  Show Profile
OK, I know I am in the midst of Winter, yet again a record breaker for Spokane!
My kitties & I are going through with-drawals and need a Garden fix...so I dashed into town yesterday or should I say "slid" as the roads are still a mess,,,,bought a Grow light,,, and a few 75% off sale Christmas goodies that I could not live with out, honest, I needed them! lol! anyways, I came home & set up the grow light in my guest bathroom (hope I don't have any overnite guests tween now & Spring) and gathered up my poor little plants to their new temporary living quarters. The bathroom looks like a Jungle and my kitties love walking through the plants and lying on the floor where they too can feel the goodness of the "Growlite".
Hmmm maybe I should get them one of those lights like they use in reptile aquriums, you know, the kind for turtles & lizards to sun themselves with, problem is, knowing me, I'd probablly snuggle w/the kitties under it too! lol!

I keep telling myself to hang in there, Spring is just around the corner,,,,it is isn't it!
>^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  09:44:01 AM  Show Profile
Grace,
That is a great idea. I just started some of my little garden a few days ago. Starting seeds mostly. I love plants--such good companions of course, I try not to make the plants companionable if they are the edible kind. Just seems wrong..lol:O)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  10:41:19 PM  Show Profile
I'm drooling over all the catalogs I have already, Grace. Trying to figure out if I can create enough space to start all the goodies I want to grow this year. My fingernails are itching to get back into the dirt!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  10:21:28 AM  Show Profile
My garden "fix" was to turn the compost yesterday between rain storms and to put some nice composted material in my cold frame. I have a wonderful cold frame my dad made last fall - so early this spring I will get to try it out, probably late Feb. I will start some lettuce. I am already planning - guess I have the garden "itch" as well.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  3:10:49 PM  Show Profile
yep, sounds like we are getting ready (mentally)to work on our "Dirt Manacures"....lol!
>^..^<

mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  5:33:29 PM  Show Profile
I'm right there with you and the insane snowfall.
So what are you starting already?
I'm not even going hunting for compost and peat moss (I make my own starting mix nowadays) until the end of February. I am however working on getting all the seeds I want on hand - I don't want to be one who got their order in too late this year. It's a crazy list, and I already have a fair supply of seeds to boot.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  8:57:02 PM  Show Profile
I too, am going through withdrawls....time to plant something...teehee!

Farmgirl Sister #368

http:/froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  08:13:38 AM  Show Profile
Me too, Grace, me too....
The grow light is a good idea!
I've eyed the cold-frames in MaryJane's Ideabook too. Got some seed magazines yesterday. Yay. (Just wish I had a garden to plant them in!)
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  2:10:15 PM  Show Profile
hahaha!,
I do have a Garden....somewhere...out there....in all that snow!...I know it's there 'cuz I can see the top of the garden gate door w/my metal duck still attached....don't ask!
I am sure my lavender plants & bench are out there too! but will have to wait till the snow melts off to see if the plants survived.....
I did pull out my seeds that I harvested from this past summer and I have been online looking for some companies that specialize in seeds for cold & short growing seasons like we have here in Spokane.
Today I did plant some "Oat Grass" in a large indoor pot for my kitties....they keep eyeing my mini roses & shamrock plants....so I figured I had better get them some grass to chew on(which means they will hack up some nasty large hairballs). Yuck!
I am going to totally re-think my gardening skills this year and I will "obey" the Northern Gardening Rules,,,instead of being pig headed (like I am)and sticking with my old SO. Calif. gardening ways...
Like Dorthy said in the Wizard of OZ,,,"We ain't in Kansas no more, Toto!....
>^..^<

mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  2:13:32 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and Rebekah, feel free to come on over to our neck of the woods, I'll gladly give you a pair of gardening gloves & spade & you can come play in my garden.....if I can ever find it under all this snow!
Oh yea, & I have some strawberry plants mulched under the snow too....

mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  09:34:37 AM  Show Profile
Grace, can I move in under your grow light? :) I'm glad you made yourself and the kitties a little jungle. I started setting up some egg-carton pots and counting weeks until the last frost date...I always get the urge to start my seedlings too soon.

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  12:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hi, girls! Can I jump in here? I'm right there with ya feelin' the gardening bug. Hubby and I were checking out the basement bathroom yesterday planning to add shelving and grow lights for our starts this year. (Not my original idea - I stole it from Annika.) We also are using our extra-large dog crate right now for some of the plants we dug up last fall as it's too cold in the garage for them right now. When we start the seeds, back out to the garage they go and we'll put more seedlings in the crate. Wish I could find another one or two real cheap. Guess that's what yard sales are for!

Grace, Teresa Sue ordered a couple of cold-weather gardening books from Amazon. They were "Cold Climate Gardening" by Lewis HIll and "Organic Cold Climate Gardening." Those may be something you want to check into.

Michelle, regarding your egg-carton pots: are you using eggshells to start your seedlings in? I've heard of that and have been saving some of ours. I have just over two cartons worth now. I've read about it but don't know anyone who's actually done it. Have you?

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Maven's Haven Editor
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  10:04:19 PM  Show Profile
hey Karen,
thanx for the tip on the 2 books...i'll have to check them out.
I got "Gardening in the Inland Northwest" So far it looks promising...

I have also done the egg shells w/grass seed....we called them "Hairy Harry's" (I use to be a pre-school teacher many many years ago!)

I am antsy to start planting but will hold off till March....if I can control myself...
>^..^<

mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  07:53:19 AM  Show Profile
I go to Birdhaven Greenhouse in Joliet, IL and the Chicago Botanic Garden for some winter color fix. It really brightens me up for awhile. I also go through my gardening catalogs, books & magazines too. I will start my grow lights next month and begin growing my vegetables. Dreaming about gardening helps too. Sure wish I had the $ to do the gardening I plan in my head!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  09:44:07 AM  Show Profile
I purchased a large bouquet of greenhouse spring flowers to just brighten things up and help with garden withdrawals. It doesn't help when I am getting garden magazines in the mail - latest one was from White Flower Farms. Right now it is about 30 degrees or less out with a thick layer of frost on what is left of the snow in the backyard. Things are pretty well frozen. I keep thinking about when I can move more of the composted material over the veggie garden area, thinking maybe by end of January adding another layer to what I already have so by March when I start turning the soil I will have a nice layer to turn under. I keep adding kitchen scrapes to my compost bin to keep the process going, but it just makes me want to turn the soil and plant something every time I go out there. Way too early and cold for that, but I have the "itch" still the same.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  10:03:19 AM  Show Profile
Yay!! Today, my flowers started sprouting.:) There is nothing like homegrown flowers in the winter!!

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Winter Garden With-drawals... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page