Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Lavender farming Next Topic  

flatheadlakegirl
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Marilyn
Polson MT
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  4:22:56 PM  Show Profile
Are there any of you who are growning lavender commercially? It flourishs in my area but I'm uncertain of the process of propagation and harvesting. I can get the use of a distiller to produce the oil but don't know where to market it. Any advice would be most welcome.

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  07:25:36 AM  Show Profile
We;re also looking to grow lavender on the mountainside so any advice would be helpful.
Allison

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com & www.wayofthewife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  08:54:33 AM  Show Profile
We have a wonderful sister in our community, Lynda Dowling, that has her own lavender farm. It's a little bit of heaven to walk onto her property! She is a very sweet person and I'm sure would answer all your questions. You can see her website here.

http://www.happyvalleylavender.com/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  3:23:47 PM  Show Profile
There is also the Sequim Valley in Washington that has about a dozen sizeable lavender farms & in July/Aug they have their annual Lavender Fest.
The Shakers in the late 1800's thru the mid 1950's were avid herb/lavender growers & distillers. It is my understanding that distilling lavender requires a lot of plants and is a slow process, that is why lavender E.O. is so pricey.
Lavender seems to be a pretty hardy plant, while it is a drought tolerent plant it also grows up here in Washington....I have 100 plants on the front of my farmette, but with 2 feet of snow I can't see a single plant...I hope they will survive. I have a country neighbor about a mile down the road who has almost 2000 plants, she sells via the internet as well as all the local craft/vintage shows and at the local farmers market. I pick her brain every now & then about growing lavender here in Spokane. It's a lot different then when I grew it back in SO. Calif. wgere it was really hardy and flowered 9 months outta the year. I loved watching the hummingbirds & bees dart in & out of my plants filling up w/nectar and just being busy little polinators. P.S. plant some Pineapple Sage near your lavender,,,it really attracks the Hummers.
Propergation can be by seed (which I have not had much luck) and by cuttings (which works for me). Just google/search "Lavender Plants" & you will find a gazillion resources.
Have fun,
>^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  12:08:23 PM  Show Profile
I've been buying from Susan at Labyrinth Hill (www.labyrinthhill.com ) for a few years. Great product and she does on-line courses.
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Lavender farming Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page