Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 simplicity vs luxury =giving me struggles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic simplicity vs luxury =giving me struggles Next Topic  

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  08:44:45 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I keep going back and forth from simplicity to luxury. I must say my taste leans more the luxury way but I appreciate and cherish simplicity. I am trying as a goal to save $ and pay off the CC this winter. I have done this before and actually spend less in the winter than good weather lol. Can you encourage me to go the farmgirl way and use what I have and enjoy it. I can do this but I am feeling a bit of a roadblock lately. Ideas thoughts comments anything are appreciated. $ stresses me out and I know that I can make do with the farmgirl skills, but then I feel like maybe I'm wasting my time. I don't know why I am thinking all skewed. xo

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  09:11:32 AM  Show Profile
Hmmmm. Well first to remember is that being a "farmgirl" doesn't mean doing without. To me it means being smart about what we do. Here is an example - I am very thrifty about a lot of things- cooking foods vs fast foods, having a garden, storing food, shopping wise. The funny thing is a lot of the thrifty is good for me and good for the enviroment.
My advice ( for what it is worth) is to really choose to spend your hard earned money on things your truly love. That alone will give you pause before pulling out the cc. I will find myself looking at a shirt and then I stop and say - Do I need it, Do I love it? If I can't give a resound yes to both then no go on the purchase.

I have made a decision to put only things I love into my body, on my body and in my home. Instead of eating "whatever" I make sure there is organic healthy food in my home. I can afford that by growing my own, buying local and not just filling my cabinets with junk. Instead of settling for a dinning room table that was cheaper, but that I did not LOVE I waited. About a year later I found this beautiful solid oak, claw foot table with 6 ladder back chairs for $150.00 - LOVE IT. So not only did I save money but I got exactly what I was looking for - Farmgirl Smart

Peace to you,
Tamara
www.thegoodearthfarm.com
The earth is in our hands - please handle with care
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  09:14:26 AM  Show Profile
Bridget... I have made lists of tangible wants & survival needs.. Then I look for any bargains on the things I really want.
I also put all my change in a pottery jug when I can, I Empty my coin purse * and bottom of my purse* every other day. seems like I always have loose change. It adds up quickly. I also go through magazines a& cut out hings I really think I want & post them on aboard.. The after awhile I remove them if they seem to mean less to me. Good luck.. Sometimes though you just have to sacrifice on the want list.. Thats when I realize A lotof the things I wanted were just things to have.. I have begun to be more selective in the things I want. I look at where I am right now and make a goal for where I want to be in the future 6 months that helps too.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  09:32:17 AM  Show Profile
tamara-great advice and i am gonna have to take it too.

lavendar girl
http://lavendarfieldsdreamer.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  09:36:20 AM  Show Profile
Keep in mind the "farmgirl way" is completely individual to each Farmgirl! Some Farmgirls consider Manolo Blahnik shoes absolute necessities, and others see flush toilets as an unnecessary luxury!
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  09:39:14 AM  Show Profile
Tamara - great advice! And no, Bridget, if you are finding ways to save money, it is not wasted time. Think of it as a personal challenge (that's what I did) - like a contest with yourself.

Ann in Oswego
http://suburbanprairiehouse.wordpress.com

Times may be tough, but farmgirls are tougher!

Craft Fasting since October 21, 2008
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  09:48:15 AM  Show Profile
Bridget I think that girls have given you some great advice. I know it is a struggle that alot of us farmgirls face. I know that for me some of my luxeries have changed. Mainly because I have found that doing a few things simply takes the right tools and materials. So while I am satisfied with what I have... I have had to go out and splurge on a few new things to make my "simple" life even nicer. Some things have I have found while thrifting (crochet hooks, knitting needles and even a le cresute pot) and others have been bought new but either way I think you will see in time what "your" right luxury way will be. For me I love great beautiful cotton fabrics for my quilts and super soft natural fiber yarn. As well as great tools and pans for the kitchen. We can't afford to eat all organic yet or my family would starve but we are getting better at planning out our meals and I garden a lot when the weather gets nice. So even eating organic is a bit of a luxury for us sometimes.

Follow your farmgirl heart and spirit! It will lead you to your souls true desires.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  09:54:14 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Bridget- Wow, I could have written your post a year ago. I tend to be a gourmet farmgal on a college student budget. I like nice things. I rather spend $5 on GOOD chocolate than have 2 bags of M and M's. I do keep a running list of "wants and needs" and I carry that with me everywhere. As I have gotten older, I realize I am not much of a decorator but like my house to look nice. So, I have a simple beach cottage with slight touch of farmgirl sophistication. I make a game out of finding things I love deep deep discount (See my Kohls thread...I did this today). I have another list of products I love and I check them monthly online or when I go to the store to look for sales- examples are I love Body Shop body butter and scrub. I don't use anything else. Got one item free for the purchase of the other. I no longer buy 12 different bottles of lotions. I use Philosophy skin care- it is like $64 for the set I use. I buy 2x a year and usually, these are gifts and I love it. Hubby will get me them and add like pink $2 fluffy socks of something to the gift. I spend a lot of good food- seriously, if you took me to one of those gourmet stores, I could be in there forever. I rather have some good marinated olives or a canned anyday. I love Victoria Secret Bras- I have big ta ta's and nother else is supportive and pretty for me. Again, coupons, sales, gifts, etc. I don't buy things otherwise. Furniture, I like to hunt down and refinish. I am not a chotsky collector, so I like big bold pieces in my house. My bedroom is simple with pink and white sheets with light blue on the extra pillows, one big fluffy white down comforter and 2 white end tables with 2 white lamps with brown shades on them. I have A LOT of pictures on my walls and have a hallway wall filled with pics and stars and sayings. I wanted some of those fancy silver looking pic frames but they were $15, up to $50, so I bought a $10 can of spray paint and got busy. I now have 6 frames from the dollar store that look chic. Simple, simple, simple. When I get paid, I automatically put $50 into savins, no matter what. I don't shop a lot and I keep things to certain colors and amounts Clothes, same thing- black, white, pink, khackis, dark jeans, flip flops, ballet shoes, a few sassy heels, cowboy boots and flirty dresses. I can interchange and layer as I go. Jewelry is silver or turquoise, I love big necklaces and funky pins or flowers to change an outfit. HINT FOR FLOWER PINS- go to Hobby Lobby or somewhere like that, buy real silk flowers on sale, add just a small safety pin and there you go, fancy smancy for cheapo weapo...I had a friend bejewels hers, so get funky and have some fun. Seriously, last week I wore a jacket, white t-shirt and jeans with a pink silk flower pinned on and I felt so chic and my outfit cost me less than $40 for the whole thing. People kept commenting on how cute I was. I have been doing this for 2 years now and I have less stuff but more selection in my wardrobe, if that makes sense. Don't let stuff define you, define who you are. I made even yet another list of what I like to do and what I just can't attempt anymore, like I am good at cross stitching and making pies but I can't bake cookies or cakes to save my life, so I stopped doing that.

When I first started, I got rid of A LOT of stuff that wasn't our style, we looked like we had been rob. I had a yard sale and people couldn't understand why I was getting rid of some pretty nice things but everything was red or dark blue, so not my style. Then I prioritized what I needed in order- couch, dishes, curtains, etc...and again, look for sales and only bought EXACTLY what I wanted. Never buy just because or it will do for now. Otherwise, I live without it. Hope this helps. : ) ((HUGS))

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

Edited by - catscharm74 on Dec 30 2008 10:12:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  09:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I should add I only shop with a debit card, no CC's, as we are paying them down, those are for emergencies only. I do my budget on the 1st and 15th, as these are when we get paid. It really helps to crunch numbers. I honestly only shop like a crazy woman maybe 3-4 times a year, like I did today. Otherwise, I can live without, just the basics. I also have a chart of goals, like to pay off 3 smaller cc's by next December. I track them in EXCEL and hi light them in pink as I pay them off. Something pretty to look at.

Heather

Edited by - catscharm74 on Dec 30 2008 11:52:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  10:04:34 AM  Show Profile
It is a challenge to spend our hard earned dollars wisely, and over the years I've learned that it really does matter on What you purchase.

Take for instance, just going to the grocery store. It doesn't pay for me (just me, everybody has their own tastes) to buy the cheapest generic brand of, say, laundry liquid, because I know that the product will wear away the dyes in my clothes. Faded may be good for jeans, but not a good sweater. So, for me, the higher priced soap is the way to go, But -- I will use a coupon, or make sure it's on sale.

Also, since we've always had a garden, that's the biggest cost cutting thing I know of -- all grocery chains have fabu sales, and each season there are always brands that are going for up to .50 cents off, if not higher. Yup, it's a pain to stand in the aisle and read labels, but if it ends up saving over $10.00 at the final tally, hey, it's worth an extra 5 minutes on each isle!

We quit using credit cards 14 years ago, and what I've made a habit is, to see if it's Really Necessary (say a work table for my studio) or is it just something that Looks Really Great, but won't do a thing for me, tom or even the dog. LOL. If the item is on sale, say in 3 months, then I'll really consider the purchase. If it's way too trendy, then I just let it slide. No sale can make up for a hot-pink blouse, chair, whatever, that looks horrid in a year. And especially if it's being paid for in the next 6 months...

This is just some of the things I consider when buying..simplicity for me means just getting basics taken care of..buy spending our money wisely in getting those basics. When you realize at the end of the month that you have some extra $$, Then the splurge on a great item can come along, and it won't hurt the budget!!

~~ Laurianne ~~
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  10:07:25 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Thanks girls and yes you all have great advice, I just am taking a lil from all the posts and gonna apply it! I need to do that and the list thing makes SENSE! :) Thank you! :)

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  10:16:53 AM  Show Profile
I appreciate this thread very much and I think the question you pose here is profound and it can be examined on multiple levels. You can be very practical and examine your choices based on frugality and as well as mindful consumption. You can ask yourself questions in this regard such as, "Do I really need that 'thing' or will I simply grow tired of it the next time something new and colorful catches my eye? Does my purchase here do more good than harm? Am I considering the person who made this thing? Is is a labor of love or a trapping of industrial waste that poisons my view?

I think however, the most interesting question to me is one you didn't ask but said instead: ...but then I feel like maybe I'm wasting my time. The question is to my mind anyway, what time are you wasting exactly and more importantly what would you rather be doing with your time?

Here's a farmgirl perspective for you: Say you sit down to stitch and sew a little something for a friend. It takes hours to complete. Sometimes you work on it watching a movie. Other times you sit by the window as daylight ceases letting your mind wander to your friend. Memories stir, smiles arise, gratitude settles in. The days mingle into one another and your eyes are constantly dazzled and assaulted by the latest and greatest of things that money can buy. Your sewing sits in a basket collecting just a hint of dust. You think of your friend knowing how she would love that thing or that thing or that thing. You buy one or two and enjoy it awhile maybe even give one to your friend, but something remains unsatisfied. You suddenly have an urge to organize and simplify your room. You find places for the magazines that have started to pile up when lo and behold you discover your basket and your sewing and stitching. It's been waiting for you. You find yourself sitting down with a sort of nostalgic sigh and you pick up where you left off. Your mind wanders to your friend. Memories stir, smiles arise, gratitude settles in. You finish your piece and you lovingly wrap it and give it to your friend, just because. Your friend cherishes it for years and years and years and perhaps even passes it along to a son or daughter or grandson or granddaughter, always with a story attached and a memory that stirs and a smile that arises while gratitude settles in.....

This is the luxury of time that no money in the world could ever buy. My dear farmgirl friend Bridget don't forget to examine your own tag line: "....to thine ownself be true."

With memories, smiles, gratitude and love, Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingmomma
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tonya
Vermont
106 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  10:32:08 AM  Show Profile
This is such a great topic!
1. I think it is easier, less stressful, not having lots of money to spend. We (family of 8) live on an income far below the government's poverty level for a family our size. However, we are not lacking in healthy, organic, made from scratch meals and desserts. Our home is attractive and comfortable. The children take music lessons and are homeschooled. But, we don't have thousands upon thousands in savings. A credit card is not an option as we don't believe in them anymore. That makes that option easy:)

2. As far as treating oneself.... well, we eat well - organic dark chocolate is a wonderful treat, pasture raised local beef on occasion, and organic locally brewed beer:)

3. Beauty - can be just a few touches throughout your home. A dear friend gave me two beautiful hand sewn, hand quilted potholders for Christmas and they are a joy to admire and use throughout the day.

4. Yes, we have also found that when we want something, we pray about it and then wait. So often that item is offered to us in the future for a wonderful price or free.

5. One of the keys to simplicity is simply less stuff - not necessarily less "cheap" stuff. We have found less is so freeing.

We have felt led to write a newsletter Plain and Joyful Living (formerly Apron Strings) to write about these issues. It is a handwritten newsletter that we have copied at t he local copy shop. You can learn more at our web site. It is our family's ministry to let others know that living outside of our consumeristic society and enjoying family and homemaking is a viable option.

Blessings,
Tonya

Handmade Treasures - http://knittingmomma.etsy.com
Blgo - http://www.homesteadblogger.com/naturalearthfarm
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  10:38:15 AM  Show Profile
Everyone has had good advice. My advice is to not carry your credit cards with you in your purse, that will make spur of the moment purchases not so easy. Make a list of what you want and wait...you probably don't need the item right at that moment so you can wait for a sale or seeing it at a garage sale or deciding you just don't want it afterall. Think about it in terms of value...your value. If an item costs $60 think "This item took me 3 or 4 or 5 hours (or whatever your pay is) to earn". Is it really worth it? Would you really work 5 hours of your life away to have those shoes? They either are or aren't worth it. Good luck!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  11:49:50 AM  Show Profile
Bridget - I struggle with this one myself. I love the "use it up, wear it out" philosophy but I also really love some things that others would consider splurges. My mom only shops at thrift stores - and she has a really nice wardrobe but definitely not "current". I know she thinks I'm crazy for spending money on clothes but I don't feel like I'm living well if I'm dressed 10 years out of date. I don't spend a lot of money on clothes - maybe 100 dollars a month including shoes, fabric, patterns, and underwear - but I love what I do buy and I feel better about myself. I too have made a vow to pay off the CC - I figure if I don't have that bill when I do find something I really love I will be able to afford it. We have had some really lean years so it won't be too much of a sacrifice.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  3:46:23 PM  Show Profile
No credit cards for us. They are way too dangerous. If we don't have the money for something, we wait til we do and pay cash.

I am so going back to basics here. Growing everything we eat. I just want a simpler life without all the strings. That's hard, but it can be done. I need to have a huge yard sale here when it gets warmer.

I love Julia's farmgirl perspective. And Tonya's too. There are so many ways to live luxuriously yet simply, too. It just takes a lot of thought and creativity to do it.

Good luck, Bridget.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  6:46:27 PM  Show Profile
I didn't read all the posts above but this is my thought on Simplicity vs. Luxury. First off this is the only life we get so I don't think we should completely deprive ourselves. I love to craft and garden so that helps to keep things like food and gifts fairly simple. I don't buy a lot of shoes or fancy clothes. I have a work wardrobe that is purly for work so it lasts. When home I wear jeans and tees or pjs. The majority of the things in my life are very simple. But I have several things that would be considered "luxury" and I was able to get them because of some of the simpler things in my life. I drive a new Jeep Wrangler. I had wanted one all my life and my hubby and I finally got to a point in our life where we could afford one so we bought one. I love to take pictures so I bought a Top of the Line Digital SLR Camera. I love it! I also love to cook so I have spent money on good knives and pots and pans etc. I also go to whole foods once a month to stock up on some of the more expensive organic and specialty items.

Its all about choices.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  7:17:03 PM  Show Profile
Soooo much goooood info., almost makes my head swim...(must be the gray)teehee! Thanks Farmgirls!!!

Farmgirl Sister #368

http:/froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katevc
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Kate
Hutchinson KS
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  8:18:07 PM  Show Profile
Yes to everything each of you has shared. I also remind myself that I have a life time to create the home I want. I don't have to have the perfect cozy home today - I'm only 31. That makes me feel better and helps me realize that if I had the perfect simple, country home right now I wouldn't have anohter apron or great find of a piece of furniture to look forward to. So, I try to enjoy what I have now and imagine how much it will all mean to me over the years as my husband, my little girl and I continue to create our little home.

To plant a thing and watch it grow... that is to nurture a miracle.
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  10:43:16 PM  Show Profile
I read this post earlier today and had to think on it a while before responding. I think your definition of luxury vs. simpicity is defined and redefined many times as you get older. I can remember wanting it all when I was in my 20's. I was working, making good money, moving up the corporate ladder, so had money to burn sorta speak. After DD was born and I quit working things began to change. I was more interested in time and family gatherings or long vacations as a luxury rather than designer clothes or keeping up with trends. At the same time my tastes were changing - from buying whatever looked interesting to me to buying things that had lasting style, quality and value.

Sure I collected a lot of stuff and had a great time being "on the hunt", but most of that has since been sold, except for the really good stuff that I love.

Now in my 40's, single, working full-time, raising DD on my own, none of the STUFF really matters to me. The simple things have now become my luxuries - like yesterday. After cleaning our barn getting ready for DD's show lambs to arrive we sat on the patio and read all the seed catalogs that have arrived, marking all the interesting seeds we want to order for spring planting. The day was warm and beautiful. We sat for hours resting, drinking tea and planning what we would do when winter was over. We laughed and were silly chatting about the shows, the animals, the people we've met and the things we've done. These are my NEW luxuries.

It's not sooo important to me to "buy" or "have". Especially if I have to go into debt for it. I'm much more relaxed with the idea of saving for something and I feel proud of myself for not running up my credit cards. And, at the same time, I don't feel deprived. The downturn in the economy and the housing market has been a kind of marker in time for me. It's kinda wierd and hard to explain, but I have really felt a sense of relief this past year because I have managed my past spending in such a way that we really haven't been adversely affected. I don't mean to sound bragish, but it's a comfort to know that what you've done really can have a positive impact on your future.

As I get older the simple things in my life ARE my luxuries. Like growing my own veggies and flowers, making homemade bread on the weekend, watching DD play volleyball or working on a quilt with a friend.

It takes time for the young to feel their way - they grow and change and sometimes that makes them feel their leaving something important behind. The picture of your life is still being painted. But, I know you'll get there, as we all have. And you'll be even more appreciative because of the struggles and questions.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  05:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Jenn- that is very true. I am 34 and am longing for a simpler life. We have moved 5 times in 4 years and each time, there is less stuff to move, just what is loved goes with us. It makes moving so much easier and setting up home quicker a real help. Simple is my motto. I was a HUGE collector up until about 21, when I joined the Navy and lived with 2 duffle bags and a backpack onboard ship for 8 months. My space was a confined rack locker and small stand up locker. Talk about an eye opener.

I cringe to see what a throwaway society we have become. No one values anything anymore. I would rather have 5 things I truly love and 55 things that mean nothing but were bought just to buy. It's been quite enjoyable to find just the right pieces for our home. : ) NO rush, no pressure, no keeping up...though by now, I think the Jone's have lost their house and are struggling. : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  06:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Lol I dreamt last night I left the door wide open and unlocked and didn't worry about anyone taking stuff :-p all cause of this discussion hehe I guess that's how I truly feel:)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  07:10:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hey Bridget-

I like to be comfortable and I like people to be comfortable in my house. And I also like to be able to dress things up a bit if we want to have a dinner party or something. One great way is to buy the finer things on sale- that way you can still be thrifty/frugal towards your $$$ and still get the nicer things. Also excellent organization can make it so you can have a simple life but again be able to dress it up once and a while.

Speaking of which- did you see the Belk Stores are having a HUGE sale of the MaryJanesFarm lines?
www.belk.com

I posted about it in another thread- but these are the kind of sales that make luxuries affordable (with a bit of planning/savings).

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  10:28:21 AM  Show Profile
When my husband and I first got together 27 years ago, we rarely had two nickels to rub together on a good day...and I had to be thrifty and frugal about EVERYTHING. But now, so many years have gone by being frugal that it has become a "sport" to me. My husband says, "Debbie, you truly CAN make a silk purse out of a sows ear!"...lol...In Ohio, our income amount would rank us way below poverty level and I find that very amusing. We eat well, we live on 28 organic acres in a 150+ year old farmhouse. We homestead and do all kinds of handcrafts. We've sent two kids out into the world to be wonderful adults and still have one at home to spoil. I couldn't be happier! You just have to get your priorities straight and GET RID OF THE CREDIT CARDS! The thing about putting change in a jar is very true also. We have a 5 gallon crock on the floor that we put change in on a regular basis. My young son wanted some Christmas spending money and I knew we had raided the jar for change on quite a few occasions. So, we said, "we'll take the change to the bank to cash it in and you can have whatever it is for spending money..k?" Well that pile of change came to $72.00.....see!
Just observe what you buy and how you feel about each purchase when you make it and scale down a little at a time and pretty soon you won't even be thinking about it anymore. It will be automatic.....
and that is my two cents worth....
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  11:06:08 AM  Show Profile
Christmas Eve all our kids, grandkids and great grandkids were here. We don't have any toys and was more concerned about the food than what the "babies" were going to play with. We decided a few years ago to buy savings bonds for the ggk instead of cloths or toys. Well,, the 2 girls, age 15 and 18 months discovered the tupperware measuring cups and spoons. They just played and played. I ask their mothers, and how much did you spend on christmas presents for these girls?" They will soon be able to play house or grocery store. Remember playing grocery store? Don't cost a thing to set up a store. Can't wait. Simplify!!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic simplicity vs luxury =giving me struggles Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page