Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Cabin Fever Doll Class
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cabin Fever Doll Class Next Topic
Page: of 22

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  04:54:00 AM  Show Profile
It's amazing how each dollie you make is so different and unique! A tons of thanks for EVERYTHING Frannie, your a true blue dollie!!! I too think the pattern is going to be easier than I thought, thank goodness! lol

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  10:01:17 AM  Show Profile
Typically impatient me had to go ahead and make a dollie. I had so much fun making her and if my daughter can figure out how, I will post a pic. I have made lots of dolls and bears in the past, but I always had to strive for perfection which took the fun out of it. I thoroughly enjoyed making this one and like her best. My DH laughed until he almost cried at her, but then quickly said "I've seen what you've made before".
Thanks Frannie for the inspiration to sew something again and to not have to be so perfect. I really had fun making this dollie. Now I can't wait to make her a friend...lol.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  6:34:36 PM  Show Profile
and i can hardly wait to see your darlin' dolly! p.s. i still have not put your apron in the mail .. but i 'swanee' i will soon! xoxoxo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  6:37:07 PM  Show Profile
OH YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! today i went to office depot and made 75 copies of the dolly body pattern (i revamped it a 'tiddy-tad' .. made the head 'slightly' bigger!) .. and i bought envelopes and postage stamps .. will start addressing those envelopes tomorrow .. will let you each know when your's is on it's way .. when i've sent them all out .. i'll let you know and at that time e-mail me right away if you did not see your name on the list.

AND .. i found some Rit TAN dye and bought boxes and boxes of it!!

i'll be posting the titles of some books .. the names of some patterns .. and some web-sites to go to .. to get 'inspiration' for your dolly-making. xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  6:42:00 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm glad I am not the only one who could not wait and made a pattern of sorts and tried to make her own dollie. The first one was not super great(arms too fat!), the second one was a little better. They really are cute. Made the second as a variation of the first. The first one I named Natalie Rose - that was what my daughter named the baby she miscarried at 5 mos. - she was my first grand child...so she's here with me to luv and play with forever. The 2nd one is Missey, her friend. I know why God likes children, what a neat feeling to create these little chilluns - stuffing was fun. I went and got some of the osnaberg material at Warmalt. I didn't want to use/waste good coffee or tea, or buy dye - so I decided to use black walnut husks - tried it on some muslin this afternoon and it seems to dye ok, so I'll try it on some of the good stuff tomorrow, anyone ever used that? Me too, thanks for the inspiration Frannie.

"...a merry heart is a good medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  9:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
I went out to the craft store today to get all my supplies! I'm so excited! I got my tubey turner things, some cute fabric, embroidery supplies, stuffin'! My little sister thought I was nuts! I picked up the bolt of fabric for the doll body first and asked it what kind of dress it wanted! You shoulda heard me! "She's really liking this fabric, No, she's telling me she wants dark hair, She wants to be old fashioned!" Great fun! I think I'll wait for the pattern to be sent! My impatience always gets me in trouble! And I still gotta dye my fabric, so one step at a time Laura, one step at a time! Frannie, thanks so much for this! All I can say is, well, you're a doll!

Much love,
Laura
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  05:50:14 AM  Show Profile
Chris .. i'm tearing up here! computer screen is fuzzy! love your story and isn't it amazing how dolls can be so healing. years ago, my best friend had a dear daughter who had VERY severe asthma .. she went into a coma .. came out of it .. but was never the same ... ended up in a hospital for asthmatic children .. was there for MONTHS. her mom and dad travelled over a hundred miles every day to visit her. i made Dana (the daughter) a little dolly for her to hold in her arms. after six months, my friend and her husband NEEDED a weekend away together .. they went .. and while away .. dana died. my friend had the dolly buried in her arms.

there truly is 'magic' in dolls.

oh .. and there is a great BLACK WALNUT dye made for paper and fabric .. and i think it is, indeed expensive!

i used to 'paint' my dolls and then sand them. haven't done that lately .. but think i'll do a few of these like that.

i know my dolly making journey sounds like a 'movie-thon' .. and i know some of the girls don't watch tv .. but i have always loved watching a movie while doing my hand-sewing on the dolly dresses. soooooooo .. with that in mind .. i have to tell you ..
last night while watching "GUARDING TESS" i stained 7 dollies with that RIT TAN dye i found yesterday ... and i cut out five dolly dresses, five bloomers, and .. are you ready for this: i cut out SEVENTEEN more dolly bodies! gonna' go sit on the front porch for awhile with coffee and honey hunk .. then get to sewin' those babies up!

will post a picture of the pattern soon .. and i dooooooo haf'ta go to town today to see 'the gurlfrenz' and push and shove treasures around my antiques booth for a little while .. and i reeeeeeeeeeely MUST get that article written for the next issue of Mercantile Gatherings .. .OH BE SURE to subscribe to that wonderful magazine! AND .. i PROMISE to start addressing those envelopes and sending the patterns along!

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Feb 01 2006 05:52:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  06:06:59 AM  Show Profile
Cabin Fever doll body pattern ... if you can figger out how to copy this and increase the size .. maybe you can get a head-start on the dolly class.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  06:14:38 AM  Show Profile
these are the doll bodies, dresses and scivvies i cut out last night:

=========

the seven smaller versions of the doll pattern that i 'rit' tan dyed .. ooh lordy! you should see the inside of my 'beige' dryer this morning!!!

================

and my valentine swap partner (bridge) loves 'dusky lavendars .. sooo .. i bought these two vintage aprons and one vintage pillowcase .. and dyed them yesterday .. gonna' make some dollies dressed in these shades .. these dolls will be great to sit in a 'primitive easter basket' too.

OH and you can make an 'easter bunny' by simply giving your dolly EARS ... and making a 'bunny face' on her!

as we get closer to Easter .. i'll give you some 'structions on how to make those too!

===========================

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  06:37:35 AM  Show Profile
Now that is a great idea...an easter bunny doll for each of my kids..and one to send my sweet grandbaby!! I made easter bunnies for my oldest boys 84,000 years ago..gosh when they were 2 and 4..they are 25 and 28 now...these guys would love that too!! Great idea!! Thanks Frannie!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  07:41:13 AM  Show Profile
laura .. i love that you and your dolly are having 'conversations' ... that's the 'magic' of it all!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  08:12:32 AM  Show Profile
'new' fabric that i 'rit tan' dyed last night .. these 'purples' were pretty bright .. and i left them in the dye for about an hour .. a fairly strong mixture .. i was afraid i'd lose the 'lavendar' color to brown .. but it came out jus' like i wanted it to!

upon thinking that lavendars and purples were NOT primitive colors .. that chile' 'bridge' got me to looking around my own home .. and Lo' and BEHOLD! right there in my little laundry room .. i had a collection of soft 'dirty lavendars' (as bridge told me to think of it) .. hanging on a line strung across the warsher .. these are all antique fabrics (except for the squares that i dyed.

======================

aren't these great olde 'purply' socks! and the child's sewing bag is one of my favs! and two of the fabrics i dyed .. one is a coordinating green to go with the leaves in the 'flowery' purple fabrics .. this was a package of 'fat quarters' that i bought. always check for fat quarters .. sometimes you will come up with yummy fabrics that you will just not find on the bolt. a little more expensive .. but very worth it!

===============================

two more 'fat quarters' in lavendar shades .. and a really sweet olde very soft lavendar child's dress.
when i find these and they are VERY tattered .. i will cut them up for dolly cloth .. but with a few tears and tatters .. i just hang them up .. after all .. most of the stains and holes are a part of some child's life stories.

================================

three more favorites .. oh .. it's just like children .. impossible to choose just one favorite! (well .. USUALLY anyhoo!)
*** the soft lavendar petticoat (in the background) is made from
heavy flannel .. and is probably pre-1900's ..
*** the little white child's apron is probablay 30's or 40's and has dutch children embroidered on the bib ..
*** and the sweet sunday-go-to-meetin' dolly dress was worn by little patty louise pilkington to church services down to th' hallelujah amen baptist church and afterwards there was a church supper to welcome pastor strongbottom as the new minister .. deacon suttlecliff's wife, dorthea june made her county fair blue-ribbon prize-winnin' chocolate cake .. and not bein' one for fastidiousness .. patty louise got stains on it that not even her momma scrubbin' it with borax would remove! but bein' the family was light in the pocket .. she had to wear this one until she outgrowed it .. and then it was passed on to her five little sisters .. and finally endin' up in the church rag bag where it was discovered by Sister Frances Catherine from over at the 'foundling home' for rag chillun and she knowed that yet another little girl would enjoy it.

=======================

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  08:45:10 AM  Show Profile
Frannie
Where do you get all you old material? Iwas in a thrift shop yesteday,have to go there in the winter because I MISS GARAGE SALES SO MUCH. got a big bag on new yarn, and cute wicker shelf for the bathroom, and a small picture frame for an old valentine to go in. Now there was a lot of old curtains, bedspreads, tableclothes, maybe I should havebeen buying some of those?
Your sunflower tablecloth is in the mail.
Did I read someplace that you have a booth someplace? what do you sell there?
cold here today, no sitting on the front porch for me without a snowsuit. trying to finish the embroidery on a quilt top so I can tea stain it.
Nancy Jo
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  09:16:48 AM  Show Profile
nancy jo .. i've been collecting vintage textiles for about 25 or 30 years .. and by far most of it does indeed come from antiques shoppes .. and yes, sometimes i pay 'dearly' for it .. but there is jus' nuthin' like olde fabrics for making olde-timey dolls!

ohhh .. i hafta' get martha wrapped up this week too .. i have several things waitin' in the wings for me to find boxes to put em in and get em on their way!

WELL .. i did try sitting out there .. but 'bout froze my ka-tootie off .. so .. i only finished up half a cuppa' coffes and hot-footed it back in the house. sun is shining brightly now and i think it's supposed get up near 60 degrees. heading for the shoppe now .. will take my camera and take some pics and post them of my antiques 'booth'. xo

'member gurlz .. everything you see in the pics are up for adoption .. but i don't mail off things 'bigger than a breadbox' .. chaped like a camel .. or heavy as an elephant! ya' gotta' come get those!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  09:31:24 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, I think your stories are almost the best part of your orphanage! You really should make a book out of them and offer them for adoption with a dolly each.

I've begun making my Easter bunnie dolls. Yep, it's that time of year again. Will hopefully show photos when I get a few done. My problem with photos is I don't have a camera that takes close up and the photos get all pfuzzy. Sigh.

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  09:55:54 AM  Show Profile
I love to watch movies while I'm craftin too. The girlier, the better. Serendipity, Tea with Mussolini, Chocolat, even those girlie harlequin movies on WE & Oxygen!!! I know the stories and I feel comfortable working & half paying attention to the movie.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  09:58:26 AM  Show Profile
Patricia's so right. Your stories are wonderful! I have to get my new digital camera that we were supposed to buy for Christmas. And of course - I think I need a new computer. Can't wait to get started on my dollies. I have a question - do we stitch the arms & legs on by hand? It looks like it, but I wasn't sure.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  10:55:38 AM  Show Profile
I watched "Must Love Dogs" last night while embroidering on some sachets (a special order of 5 just alike!!) and it was sure cute. I hadn't really heard much about it, but got it this week as a rental when I picked up an action movie for sTeve and the kids to watch..this one was just for me..I watched it last night late.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  7:03:57 PM  Show Profile
thanks for the sweet words about my silly stories ... i often will attach a 'story' .. 'poem' .. 'saying' .. or short history with my dollies .. it usually depends on how many i have just made and how soon i want to get them on the 'market' .. someday, i WILL figure out this computer better to be able to make reeeeeeeely cute little tags with the story .. i have found that MANY times .. the doll's NAME or STORY is what got her adopted! sometimes, i will have a 'series' of sisters ... and they will have 'adoption' papers that the 'adopTOR' is to fill out and send back to me .. with the name and address of who will be the new momma and an address where the dolly will be living. I let them know that the 'girls' want to keep in touch and that i will be sharing all of the names and addresses with the other 'mommas' and would they all please make sure that they 'write to each other from time to time' telling of their adventures.

i'm so thrilled to see that ya'll enjoy watching a movie or listening to some music while making your dollies.

and yes, miz debbie .. you HAND sew (reeeeeeeeel gooooooood) the arms and legs to the body. i actually have done the legs by sewing machine .. but .. prefer the hand-sewn way.

well, chilluns, i hear SEVENTEEN dollies yellin' my name from downstairs .. gonna' go see what good movies are on tonight! tomorrow, i will post some pics of the chilluns i get finished before i hit the bed!

oh .. and i did take some pictures of my 'shoppe' over at Glover's Station in town .. will post them tomorrow too. good night sweet princesses!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  10:35:44 AM  Show Profile
finished FIVE of the 7 'smaller versions' of the pattern i am sending to you .. so you can see that you can 'upsize' or 'downsize' any basic doll pattern:

the 'valentine' girls have been listed for 'adoption' to my Treasure Seekers list .. if aren't on it and wanna' be .. jus' e-mail me!

will post their individual pictures later today .. photobucket is having some 'glitches' right now .. headin' to town .. will take some photos of some fun 'aprons' i find in various booths and post 'em!]
================================
TO: Treasure Seekers:
valentine's day

good morning ya-ya's .. finally .. i have a few little valentine dollies from Sister Mercy's Foundling Home ready for adoption.

some of these little valentine red dolls are vintage
and some are 'hand-did' by me here at cabin creek farm.

ALL are very dear and are looking for a 'momma'
if you see one (or more) that make your heart smile ..
contact Sister Frances Catherine right away by e-mail.

there's only ONE of each .. and all are unique and one-of-a-kind
so let us know right away!

these little chilluns make wonderful valentine gifts for those you love (and that surely includes YOU!)

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  7:55:20 PM  Show Profile
Those chilluns are so sweet
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  8:52:13 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Hey all!
I tea stained my body fabric today. It turned out really nice! It could have been a little darker, but now I know for next time! Love all the new chilluns! They're oh-so-cute!

Much love,
Laura
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  10:31:16 PM  Show Profile
laura .. you can take a darker solution and dip those chilluns 'unstuffed' bodies into it .. OR .. if you have already stuffed them .. just use a 'sponge brush' and brush the solution all over her again .. i often do that!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  10:56:06 PM  Show Profile
finished FIVE of the 7 'smaller versions' of the pattern i am sending to you .. so you can see that you can 'upsize' or 'downsize' any basic doll pattern:

the 'valentine' girls have been listed for 'adoption' to my Treasure Seekers list .. if YOU aren't on it and wanna' be .. jus' e-mail me!

TO: Treasure Seekers:
valentine's day

good morning ya-ya's .. finally .. i have a few little valentine dollies from Sister Mercy's Foundling Home ready for adoption.

some of these little valentine red dolls are vintage
and some are 'hand-did' by me here at cabin creek farm.

ALL are very dear and are looking for a 'momma'
if you see one (or more) that make your heart smile ..
contact Sister Frances Catherine right away by e-mail.

there's only ONE of each .. and all are unique and one-of-a-kind
so let us know right away!

these little chilluns make wonderful valentine gifts for those you love (and that surely includes YOU!)

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Feb 02 2006 10:59:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  11:35:25 PM  Show Profile
close-ups of the 'Sassafrass Sisters':

SUSIE

SALLY

SOSI

SANDY

SINDY

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Feb 02 2006 11:36:50 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cabin Fever Doll Class Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page