Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Cabin Fever Doll Class
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cabin Fever Doll Class Next Topic
Page: of 22

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  1:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
NO kidding Junebug....

DARLING Frannie, you clever woman!

PS Their faces look like me when I get up in the morning!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  7:25:28 PM  Show Profile
made three more little primitive raggedy dollies this evening .. will post their pictures tomorrow!
and tomorrow, i'm going to make a couple dolls from the pattern i will be sending. will take pics 'in progress' .. will probably write some ideas and instructions and such as i go along ... soooo .. you might want to print these out.

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Jan 27 2006 7:26:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  7:27:16 PM  Show Profile
oh .. and stuffing those skinny little arms .. that stuffing fork sure comes in handy!

i won't make your dolly arms and legs as skinny! don't want ya'll gettin' frustrated!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  9:43:51 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Yay! I can't wait!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  03:51:44 AM  Show Profile
made these three little raggedies yesterday .. popped up outta' bed at 4 a.m. to finish their aprons!

LITTLE RAG DOLL
ALL TORN AND TATTERED
YOU WERE MY FRIEND
WHEN IT REALLY MATTERED

EENIE

MEENIE

MINEY

there ain't no 'moe'!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  04:13:25 AM  Show Profile
o.k. cabin fever girls .. this is the pattern i scribbled up for our dolly class. made her a little larger than originally planned cuz' she will be easier to turn and stuff (especially for the girls that didn't get the turners and stuffing fork). she will be pretty tall, i think ... "sarah jane .. tall and plain". her arms and legs will be skinnier than the pattern appears to be .. cuz' you will be sewing a quarter-inch seam around them .. notice at the bottom of the body, arm and leg .. it is left OPEN for turning and stuffing. AND .. i find it easier to NOT sew ALL THE WAY TO THE END .. cuz' then you have a little grabbing room for your fingers to start the turning and stuffing. i'd say sew up to about 1/2 inch from the arms and legs .. and .. of course, put the pattern on a DOUBLE thickness of fabric .. so that you have a front and back to sew together .. AND .. even though there is only one arm and one leg pattern .. they will be the same size .. so you use the one pattern .. but you make two of each. (arms and legs). ONE BODY.

i'm running the roads for part of today .. heading for town for fun and frolic .. but will try and get a couple bodies cut and sewn today .. and will post a picture of them, hopefully by midnight.

YOU will also be receiving these instructions via e-mail .. cuz' a few of the gurlfrenz taking the class are not on the forum. if all goes as planned .. i'll start mailing the patterns out next week (have to do a 60-mile round-trip to get to a copy machine!)

oh .. and don't be 'alarmed' cuz the 'neck' sides of the body are not exact .. i don't FOLD the paper in half and DRAW each side exactly the same .. YOU can do this if you wish a more 'perfect' dolly shape .. i like primitive .. and primitive is usually a little 'off'. jus' post your questions here .. or e-mail me .. and i'll try and answer them as we go along. xo

this is the pattern .. and remember .. put it up to a window and COPY it rather than cutting your original .. cuz' if you lose a 'body part' .. you gotta' improvise .. which .. by the way is not all bad .. it taps into your creativity and individuality!

AND feel FREE to make the body fatter .. shorten the body, arms and legs if you wish .. make the head bigger, rounder, thinner .. make several patterns playing with the original! AND .. you can ADD an extra quarter inch around the body for a stitching line .. on this pattern, i don't think i would do that with the arms and legs though .. cuz' they might get too 'fluffy'. (chubby)

pattern and my cut-out version

============

close up of the basic body pattern

(there won't be a pattern for the undies, dress and slip .. cuz' i'm gonna' teach you how to make clothes without using a pattern.

============

after you have cut your pattern out ... lay them on a flat surface .. putting your 'arm' and 'leg' in the appropriate place .. (you can cut to arms and legs if you want a clearer idea of the 'size' of your dolly. remember .. you will be taking 1/4 inch off of each pattern piece ..

this is a somewhat skinny dolly body .. soooooooo .. you might want to ADD the quarter inch to this piece.

print these little instruction-ettes as we go along so you can refer to them from time to time. or save them in a 'folder' on your computer so you can go back and forth to re-visit them.

oh .. and there are a couple ways to cut and sew your fabric .. my two suggestions for this dolly would be one of the following .. whichever you find easiest to manipulate with your sewing machine .. try BOTH ways .. cut TWO bodies out and make TWO dollies at the same time! invite a friend to make dollies with you! (and don't forget to have a 'tea party' when she comes to visit!)

1. you can lay your pattern on your fabric (i am NOT 'anal' about 'straight of the grain' and 'selvidges' .. WHATEVER that is!)
i usually concentrate on getting lots of dollies out of my piece of fabric.

pin your pattern to your double layer of fabric. and CUT around the pattern .. (or this is where you would ADD that quarter inch to the body if you wish ... just cut 1/4 bigger than the body pattern (NOT the arms and legs on this one!) THEN .. with your fabric still pinned (so it does not slip) .. sew 1/4 inch seams (leaving the bottoms open for turning)

or

2. lay your pattern on your fabric and TRACE around it onto the fabric with either a light pencil or one of those 'disappearing ink' pens used for quilting. do NOT cut the patterns out at this point .. you might want to cut each piece an inch larger than the pattern for ease in handling (but remember .. this, too, eats up that precious fabric .. ESPECIALLY if you are using vintage fabrics!)
now ... remove your pattern and sew 1/4 inch INSIDE your marked line (execept on that body piece .. that you will sew ON your drawn line .. then cut all pieces out .. making sure to leave your quarter-inch seam.

MY PREFERENCE .. and what i alway do is step ONE above. it's faster when making lots of dollies and usually saves fabric.

BUT if you are not comfy with your machine and are concerned about sewing those tiny 1/4 stitches and having the fabric slip .. use step TWO.

o.k. .. are all these instructions making any sense? i tend to 'over-talk' .. and it reeeeeeeeely is easier when i SHOW you in person how to do it .. but we will SURVIVE and come up with great dollies .. just ask any question you might have .. believe me .. there is NO silly question!

this will be SUCH fun!

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Jan 28 2006 04:27:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  04:57:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the do;; pattern Franie, I'AM NOT SIGNED UP FOR YOUR CLASS, BUT AM GLAD TO HAVE YOUR IDEAS. bUY THE WAY WHEN YOU GET A CHANCE SEND ME YOUR ADDRESS SO i CAN MAIL YOU YOUR SUNFLOWER TABLECLOTH. Have a fun time in town today!!
Nancy Jo
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  05:19:09 AM  Show Profile
just made the dress and apron for the last of the three 'big sisters' ... (pictued above) .. this one is:

BETSY

P.S. nancy .. i just e-mailed you my address .. i'll need yours too .. will post some 'swappies' soon. and oh do join us to make a dolly! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  05:56:23 AM  Show Profile
cut two dollly bodies out of osnaberg .. haven't tea stained it yet .. i suggest you stain your fabric BEFORE cutting the pattern out and sewing it .. but will show you that you can do it 'afterwards too'.

you'll notice that i CUT about an inch off of the length of the arm .. looking at it more closely, i decided the arms are too close to the same length of the legs ...

for arm and leg lengths .. observe your own body .. when i stand and drop my hands to my sides .. my fingertips end at about mid-thigh .. sooo .. i try to postion my pattern or cut-out body together as they will be sewn to see if i have made the arms too short or too long .. and add or subtract when cutting the fabric. after awhile, you will not need to do this with your PATTERN piece .. you will just be able to what i call "EYE-BALL" it and know whether it is a good proportion.

i have folded my fabric over double to cut out the body/arms/legs .. and i will cut ON THE LINE .. i have decided to NOT add the quarter inch to my doll body .. you can do either. adding will just make her a tad chubbier .. but when you do this .. be sure to 'adjust' the head size too .. if you are uncomfortable with making adjustments on your first dolly .. then just use the pattern AS IS .. do not add or subtract .. to any of the parts.

there are SO MANY options in making dolls and no real 'rooools' .. WELL .. EXCEPT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when making an all CLOTH doll ... NEVER, EVER, NEVER, EVER, NEVER, EVER, NEVER, EVER .. and did i mention NEVER EVER .. use GLUE!!!!!! if i catch a glue-gun in your hand .. i'll show up on your doorstep and wrestle it from you and toss it into the woods!

o.k. .. here's my opinion: GLUE usually blobs and 'cheapens' a dolly .. NEVER glue on hair or accessories .. IF .. there is any way possible to SEW them on!! AND .. in a matter of a few short years, if you have GLUED parts onto your dolly .. they WILL come un-glued and you will end up with a bald dolly! It only takes a little time more to SEW .. and you will have a superior product .. ART rather than CRAFT. (o.k. .. offa' my soap box!) now ONE little "rool" isn't too bad! but it is a SACRED one!

here are the dolly parts cut out .. ON THE LINE.

actually, i cut out TWO at a time .. and am going to go downstairs and cut out about 4 more .. will make six dollies with the same bodies .. but they will ALL be unique and different .. may have some 'city sisters' and 'country cousins' that are 'similar' .. but each dolly will take on her own personality .. as will yours!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  06:54:45 AM  Show Profile
i am ROCKIN' and ROLLIN' this morning gurlfrenz!

"PARTS IS PARTS"

cut out four dolly bodies .. decided to cut the pattern down after that and make four smaller ones

========================

one picture is worth a thousand words! remember when i said to sew TO about half an inch of the opening of your arms and legs .. this picture shows what i mean .. it is MUCH easier to grab those little loose pieces at the end to maniuplate turning and stuffing the arms and legs. you don't have to do this and it is a 'neater' doll when you don't .. but i prefer the half-inch thingie!

OH .. also VERY IMPORTANT: when you sew your front and back pieces .. be sure all the edges match .. it is SO frustrating to sew, turn and start to stuff just to have the stuffing poosh out of the seam cuz' you ran off the edge of your seam somewhere!

NOW .. if that DOES happen .. you have a couple choices .. one is to UNSTUFF .. turn .. and sew again! (the problem here sometimes is that when you re-sew .. one arm or leg ends up skinnier than the other .. IF it is hidden by a sleeve or britches you can get away with it .. after all .. only YOU and YOUR DOLLY will know! (call it "CHARM"!!!)

your other option .. which can be even MORE charming ... (OR NOT!) is to finish stuffing .. and make a 'repair' .. an OBVIOUS one .. don't try to HIDE IT .. unless you are REEEEL good at it .. you can use a different color thread with big uneven stitches (this only works on a primitive doll though!) OR .. you can put a darker shade of skin PATCH .. or even a colorful PATCH .. over it .. and tell everyone that they should not mention it in the rag chile's presence cuz' she is somewhat sensitive to the scar .. and tell 'em the 'happening' that happened to cause the scar ... "well .. you see .. it's like this ... (remember to whisper it so your dolly does not hear you discussing her 'mishap'!) lula belle went to the river to fetch water cuz' her momma was needin' to give the little ones a bath scrubbin' .. and .. lo' and behold! their appeared a MAD DOG' .. he was slatherin' and growlin' and commenced to chase lula belle .. well, didn't she off and run as fast as her little skinny legs could carry her .. she tumbled into a Briar Bush .. and commenced to cut up her (arm/leg) .. quicker'n you can say DOG BITE .. she tore herself outta' that thar Briar Bush and shinnied up the nearest tree .. where she sat and wailed until her pappy came along and rescued her. And she has the scar to prove it!

oh .. and when starting and ending your stitches .. always be sure to take little back and forth stitches to keep it from unraveling.

=====================

as with all sewing ... CLIP YOUR CURVES .. so that when you turn your dolly .. she won't PUCKER at her neck .. i don't clip around BIG curves .. like her head and shoulder area though! truly not necessary .. just those little 'tight' spots

======================

i cut the pattern down a little .. cut some length off the body, arms and legs and 'shaved' all the edges a tad .. will make four dollies in this size too. (you can make several copies of the pattern i send and play with the size too!)

=======================

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  11:25:01 AM  Show Profile
Wow, really appreciate all the effort you are putting in for us Frannie, many thanks. :)
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  12:00:00 PM  Show Profile
I second that!!! You'll have a little surprise thankie giftie coming your way soon!! The talk is catching on.......lol

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  4:09:32 PM  Show Profile
i think i'm the lucky one .. i'm having such fun with this .. and if i can help you create a dolly that is 'dancing in your heart' .. that will be a wonderful 'legacy' to leave in this lifetime, me thinks! xoxo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  4:13:37 PM  Show Profile
p.s. i cut out seven smaller dolly bodies ... and i'm brewing up a 'dye-bath' right now .. will show two additional ways to 'dye' your dollies .. in case you didn't dye the whole cloth first .. one is by sewing the bodies and arms and legs together .. but BEFORE stuffing them or sewing them on .. i dye them. the second way is 'sponge-painting' the dye on the STUFFED and SEWN dolly!

i'm going to use RIT TAN dye instead of tea or coffee .. haven't decided my method of 'drying' just yet .. it is supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow .. soooooo .. i won't be putting them out in the sun to dry. definitely won't do the microwave .. i've TOASTED too many dollies and caught them on FIRE with that little technique!

"MIGHT" go for putting them in the dryer .. but the insides of the dryer DOES get stained with this method.

will post some more photos soon. xo

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Jan 29 2006 08:12:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  08:08:17 AM  Show Profile
good sunny but blowy kentucky morning dollies ... i've been 'up and at em' since that big ole yellow ball of sunshine peeked it's 'yallow haid' up over the trees ... it's supposed to rain here today .. (it rained all night long) .. such a sweet sound .. rain on a tin roof!) .. sooooooooo .. i wanted to get an early start on staining these dolly bodies. i watched "Look Who's Talking" on TV last night while stuffing the four 'bigger' dolls from the pattern. (not sure i'm going to like the 'smaller' head on them .. and might adjust the pattern some .. we'll see .. i'll wait until they are finished to decide). well, anyhoo .. i couldn't find my RIT TAN DYE .. (and i 'bout tore up my craft room looking for it!) decided it would be easier to just go buy some MORE so i could lose that too!)

i made a potta' VERY strong coffee. honey hunk looked at how black it was in the pot (thought i was making it to drink) .. and he checked down my blouse to see if i had started growing hair on my chest!

well, here are some pictures i took of the 'staining' process .. that i use if i have cut/sewn/stuffed my dollies BEFORE staining:

results can be 'iffy' if you haven't had practice .. but then .. that is how we learn .. through practice and our 'mistakes'. you mostly have to be careful in the 'drying' process. (which i'll 'splain later).

the 'contrast' between the stained body and the unstained body. as you can see .. i just use a 'foam' brush and brush the coffee onto the stuffed body. by the way .. this is OSNABERG from Walmart!

i stain the body ALL OVER.

i have seen dolls with their upper arms, upper legs and lower torso UNSTAINED .. not sure why the gurlz do this .. to save time/dye? I believe we should go 'all the way' .. just makes a more 'finished' dolly, me thinks. ............. and notice that i have taken a little 'tack stitch' at the elbows and knees .. so she doesn't look like she has arthritis and sit all stiff legged with no bend in her arms and legs. with a bend .. she can sit comfortably .. and she can 'hold a little sumpthin' in her lap is she so desires.

[img]
close up of the 'tack' at her knees. (i will clip that little loose thread) .. you can also run this stitch all the way across .. be sure to leave a little 'give' when stuffing these areas .. so that they CAN bend. play around with this when stuffing your dollies and you will see what i mean .. you can 'lightly stuff' the upper arms and legs .. but leave a good half inch before sewing the arms and legs to the torso .. so they can 'give' and flop about!

painting techinque .... jus' kinda' slop it on .. but pretty EVEN all over! and remember, if you are using DYE or even coffee or tea .. be careful of what is underneath and what you are wearing .. cuz' you CAN stain everything the dye touches.

since it's sunny and windy this morning .. i decided to hang these little ladies upside down on the clothes line outside .. BUT .. i will go and change their position from time to time so that the dye does not run to the top of their head and fingers and toes and make those TOO dark .. also .. no clothespins .. cuz' they can leave a mark too. (if you have a big bush .. you can put them in there to dry too .. just remember to change their position every now and then while they are drying. and make sure they are thoroughly dry before proceeding with their face, hair and clothes. NEVER lay them flat on their stomach and face .. cuz you WILL get a heavy concentration of dye and a big LIGHTER mark where they came in contact with whatever they are laying on! (hmmm .. LAY/LIE .. i think it is LIE .. but i guess i'm thinking farmgirls .. chickens this morning!)

WASTE NOT ... WANT NOT!!

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Jan 29 2006 08:18:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  11:17:58 AM  Show Profile
TURNING YOUR SEWN DOLLY PARTS:

Doll Body and Turning Tube and "Pushing Stick"
The turning tube is VERY heavy plastic and is OPEN at both ends.
The stick is made of wood .. has one rounded end and one end that kinda' is cut like a 'cuticle' stick.

ha! look at those 'hairy' edges .. guess you can figger i didn't cut 'on the straight of the grain'!

we all loved the comment one of our dollmakers would say everytime anyone grumped about something they 'thought' was not going just right with their dolly-making:

GET OVER IT .. IT'S PRIMITIVE!!!! (became our club mantra!)

======================

you insert the tube all the way into the doll body (which is now WRONG sides out)
(you can kinda' see that beveled edge on the stick .. this is for 'rounding' out the body parts after they are turned .. see pics below)

========================

you take the rounded edge of the wood stick and poke the dolly's head INTO the hollow tube (this starts the 'turning process' .. and i SWEAR takes only a mili-second to accomplish ... compared to MINUTES trying to turn that little sucker with just your fingers!)

=========================

continue pushing the stick down a little ways (you will figure out how far with practice and it will change slightly with each doll part .. mostly depending on the SIZE of the doll) .. don't worry about this though .. it will all be 'evident' as you do it!

===============================

at this point .. just FLIP the rest of the body up over the stick and pull it .. ANALOGY:
.. go get a sock
.. RIGHT NOW
.. no ... REALLY! .. GO GET A SOCK!!

put your hand all the way down inside the sock .. grab the toe .. and start pulling it through ..
half way through ...

NOW W-A-I-T JUST A MINUTE!!!!
i know some of you DID NOT GO GET THAT SOCK!

(we'll wait!)...
o.k. .. that's better! now .. catch up with the rest of us!

when you have pulled the sock half-way through .. grab the TOP of the sock and and pull it towards your hand .. VOILA .. it is turned!

now practice this a few times t'il you 'get the picture'!

=================

OH YEAH! your body is turned .. now turn the stick around to that 'beleveled edge' end and insert it back into the body

====================

just run the tip of the stick all around the seams to 'fill them out' .. so you get a somewhat realistic looking head shape .. neck .. body .. no need to get your 'panties in a pucker' over this step .. no need to run and iron it or anything .. the STUFFING will fill out all those wrinkles ... as long as you stuff it full enough!

=======================

now .. since the arms and legs are much skinnier .. i'm going to post a series of pictures (without comments .. you talk yourself through it to prove to yourself that you do understand .. and don't mind the family laughing at your mutterings .. jus' wait t'il they see your fantastic dolly! ... oh .. and note the little 'wings at the tops of the arms and legs that "I" leave for easier grabbing and hanging onto when turning and stuffing.

============================

O.K.! O.K.! maybe a 'few' little comments from me!
that white with red stripes tube i have used here is a big STRAW from my daily McDonald's glass of iced tea! it is plenty big and strong enough to use, i've found!

=============================

that is a little metal rod .. have to be careful not to shove it all the way through the fabric creating a hole!! i poke it onto the SEAMS when pushing the arm or leg through)

=================================

==================================

VOILA!!!!!!!

close-up of those little 'grabbing' ends at the open end of the arms and legs

O.K. GURLFRENZ .. next will be 'dying' sewn ... but ... un-stuffed body parts .. keep tuned!

===============================

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Jan 29 2006 11:28:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  12:18:22 PM  Show Profile
STAINING DOLL BODIES THAT HAVE BEEN SEWN .. BUT NOT STUFFED:

run hot tap water over each body part .. thoroughly soaking each piece .. or .. you can let them sit in a bowl of hot water (not boiling) .. be sure to 'swish, swirl, and squoosh' each piece so it is wet all the way through. this is important if you wish the 'dye' to grab more evenly .. without leaving big white-ish spots!

=======================

curious pets and children may want to take a sip!

===========================

next .. soak your dolly parts in a bowl (or pan) filled with your 'dye solution' .. be it .. Rit TAN dye (my favorite) .. COFFEE .. (which i used for this batch .. cuz' i STILL haven't found those 47 bottles of dye!) .. or a very strong brew of TEA.
it's important to do that SSS thingie (swish, swirl, squoosh) .. cuz' you want the fabric to be thoroughly dyed .. USUALLY your fabric will dye a little lighter HA! .. or darker .. than what it looks like wet. i have personally found that it often SURPRIZES me! and isn't that GRANDE!

===================

these are the smaller doll bodies .. the more fabric you dye .. and the more 'soaking water' that gets into your dye ... of course, it will lighten up .. so .. you might want to add more from time to time!

==========================

if you get to lovin' dolly making .. you can always make up a whole 'batch' of them at once .. there are SEVEN dollies here!

======================

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  12:22:17 PM  Show Profile

i tossed these little dolly parts into a bittersweet bush .. the wind is picking up and i may well be searching the woods for them before this day is over!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  12:37:58 PM  Show Profile

this is a big chunka' cotton fabric .. that i dyed all at once .. when you have big pieces .. you tend to get a slightly mottled look .. cuz' there is so much fabric to suck up the dye .. but this can be VERY charming .. just make sure when cutting out your dolly .. you don't get a big unattractive blob of discoloration or dark mark across her FACE. this method makes it easy to cut out lots of dollies from pre-dyed fabric .. but it does use up more of your dye in 'wasted' spaces. HOWEVER, you can always use this fabric to STUFF your dolly with (either all over for a very primitive ... albeit ... sometimes lumpy-ish dolly .. but it is great for WEIGHTING her down if you add it from her waist to her tu-tu!

i hung this on the line to dry .. since it is windy out .. i weighted it down with clothespins .. HA! you shoulda' seen those clothespins flyin' in the wind!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  12:40:29 PM  Show Profile

o.k. ... 'member those already stuffed bodies that i 'sponge brushed' the coffee solution on this morning and hung on the line to dry.
TA-DA!!!
they have a little 'streaking in them that i am pleased with.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  12:57:48 PM  Show Profile
Frannie,
that was some trip to doll land!!It was also pretty funny, I don't know how far your clothes line is from the road, but be aware that someone may report you for child abuse.
Also nice to put a face to all my visits with you. You are a very pretty girl.and a very busy girl. Sometime when I get the hang of it I will put some pictures on. In the meantime I'am about 5'1, long black hair.
Anyway great pictures.
Nancy Jo
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  1:56:18 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking the same thing, body parts everywhere!!! LOL Love the country side in the back ground, I've got to find my way to Kentucky this year!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  2:05:42 PM  Show Profile
Frannie! You go! I am gettin' all worked up , can't wait to do my dollie! I love the rit dye for that grunge look, I have put a quilt or two in a rit dye bath. Can nver have enough Rit tan dye # 16 around!!!!
I wanted this quilt to look like it came out of Gran's attic, used the rit dye, well where you see the tan color used to be "bright" white. Now it looks dirty and old, my fav!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  2:38:05 PM  Show Profile
nancy .. there is indeed a 'dolly protection' agency .. (and i have threatened to turn a few gurlfrenz in when they neglect their dollies for long periods of time!) OR .. for taking a GLUE GUN to their heads!

theresa .. FABULOUS quilt .. love that rit tan!!!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  3:55:30 PM  Show Profile
Jeezzzzzzzzzzz Frannie, you gotta adopt me, I wanna live at your house!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cabin Fever Doll Class Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page