Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 I need to learn to read.........
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I need to learn to read......... Next Topic  

ThePixiesPlayhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Terri
Biggs CA
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  8:26:34 PM  Show Profile
I went to the fabric store this afternoon.....with my last $20 (leftover from Christmas shopping). I just needed a few items to finish.....and start a few projects. I had my 6 year old daughter and 8 year old niece with me.....and they both were bickering, I got side tracked while picking up what I needed.

I got home......only to find my interfacing is not iron on!! I am making purses, and the lining is silkie.....so I really needed the iron on type. I am so upset....I now have 4 yards of sew in interfacing that I can't return......I want to cry........

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  8:51:25 PM  Show Profile
Terri, I have used fusible webbing in between the interfacing and fabric before and it held really well! You might want to try that or even test it on a small piece!

Monica

farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  2:00:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi there!
Don't know if you've fixed your problem already, but here are some ideas:

test some fabric basting spray on a couple scraps, if it doesn't make marks on the silky fabric, you can easily use that. just be sure to spray in a well ventilated area and on newspaper (not near your machine!)
in a pinch, a glue stick might work, too. just test first :)

But, a great way to take care of this problem would be hand basting stitches. It really doesn't take too long to do that to hold the layers together.

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  3:08:58 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I would do some hand basting stitching and I think it would work very well.

I have an 8 yr old hyper son and he alone can mess me up.
I make mistakes like that even without him! LOL

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Have a wonderful Farmgirl New Year!!
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  3:32:55 PM  Show Profile
Terri, how ya doing today? Any better?
I personally hate iron-on interfacing and think most projects look & feel better with the sew-in kind. When i worked in a fabric store I always tried to talk customers out of iron-on. Maybe you will agree with me............soon.
Blessings to you and happy purse making. Karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

ThePixiesPlayhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Terri
Biggs CA
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  3:40:52 PM  Show Profile
I set the project aside........I was so frustrated with myself....LOL I will re-visit it this week, and try some of your ideas. I agree the sew in feels better......but with the silkie lining the iron on seemed easier. I didn't want the fabric to shift......

Thanks everyone, I will let you know how it turns out.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  5:00:04 PM  Show Profile
Teri, don't let it get the best of you....I am now very dependent on the dreaded 'Reading Glasses"...I can not tell you how many times I have bought 'diet' products thinking I have bought the regular stuff....uugghhh!!
Oh, here is another tip for hand knitted purses... my daughter knitted a purse & lined it wit complementry fabric, but it was rather 'floppy' so she used "Plastic Canvas"(the plastic grid used in needle work) to give it support buy stitching 4 sides and a bottom together, inserting it tween the knitted yarn & fabric lining.
I love hand made/knitted/felted etc purses. Have fun creating yours, remember to keep it fun & don't get frustrated....
farm girl hugz,
>^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I need to learn to read......... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page