Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 Ya know things are getting tight when..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Ya know things are getting tight when.. Next Topic  

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  8:56:53 PM  Show Profile
You order a banana split and theres no nanners :P. This happen tonight on our way home at Sonics. Sis and I wanted a banana split with all the fixins and they came out lickit-d-split. I held the boat of wonderfulness and proclaimed there was no bananas,and asked do they not make em with bananas anymore. She took them and brought back a pretty skimpy banana,but it was still yum good.

Its those little things that they don't think you will notice. Kinda like the extra fine print on stuff.

I say the bars of soap (which is not really soap) is getting smaller and smaller. More skinney in the middle. They make it look like it fits better in your hand. Hey it still slips out.

Opened up a can of veggies and it was half full, I could have said half empty but I'm feelin on the positive side tonight : ).

You know this economy is tough but I'm going to keep my sense of humor no matter how tight things get.

Ok so what have you seen lately that looks like things are on the tight side.

Linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  10:35:39 PM  Show Profile
Everything?????????
Just teasing.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  06:02:39 AM  Show Profile
Well, back in the 1970s, I was working at a dairy store/cafe and a table-full of my high school friends came in. One of them ordered a banana split -- and I forgot to put in the banana! She didn't tell me until she'd eaten the ice cream, so when I brought the bill, I also brought her a banana in a paper bag 'to go'. Surely it's possible that your server forgot the banana, too!!

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  06:22:54 AM  Show Profile
Ahhhhh kissmekate I think your right, "Everything" and no kidding :/

LOL on forgetting the banana, I'm sure that was the case cuz the girl was very shocked but we all sure had a good laugh. I asked her to knock off the bill a bit but she said she could not do that , but she could add the banana. I love that banana in the bag to go, LOL. We would have like that too : ).

Linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  1:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
....you go ahead and wash out that ziplock instead of tossing it because you know it's gonna cost you to replace it....

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  5:31:56 PM  Show Profile
...my husband has sat in Atlanta at the truck terminal for 4 days without a run. That's pretty scary when there are 200 other drivers there, too. Things will be tight around here in a few weeks.

When truck drivers aren't rolling, there's something wrong.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  3:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
....when your'e a fabricaholic and you quit buying fabric.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  05:57:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh those are some good ones, trucks not movin is really bad news Kris for all of us
and Teresa Sue I have been reusing my ziplocks as well,
But oh my, oh stop buying fabric :(, its realllllllly tight out there.

This will be a lean year for sure. Time we put what we have learned, saved,put all our resources to good use to get us through this winter. We Can do it cuz WE are Farmgirls.

Oh the positive side, all this may bring families closer together, helping one another and knowing your neighbor. If it does that then a couple of (well a lot really)tighting some notches in our belts might just do us some good. If your Blessed to have an elder tell of the really hard times, like living through the depression. We can sure learn a lot from them.

Linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  07:24:01 AM  Show Profile
Not as humorous as some of you gals, but you know it's tough when the billionaires that have "second homes" (they are all at least 10,000 sf.) in Jackson Hole where my son lives and makes his living, aren't having any work done on their mansions. Ususally, my son is swamped in the winter - he does "faux" painting and specialty woodwork finishing, as this is when people get their inside painting done, but he is laid off right now. Works out good for us, he came home for Christmas, but pretty tough on him. Slow economy even affects the ultra rich now.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  07:49:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Tough times are only an "inconvience" to the wealthy, unlike the rest of us, where it might mean many things, from not buying that cute knickyknacky to not having enough groceries in the house.

Don't worry Linda, I have a closet, a trunk, and several tall pile of fabric, I have decided that I need to store my fabric in the form of quilts tho, instead of just having it piled up in closets, etc, LOL!

In our area only the wealthy are having any work done, the regular people are not having any work done unless it is an emergency.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  1:32:59 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
You know its tight when you are telling the chickens to be thankful they have rabbit pellets!!! At least til the next paycheck!!!!

Marcy #257

When I stand before God at the end of my life I hope that I would not have a bit of talent left and could say “I used everything You gave me”.(erma bombeck)
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  7:34:10 PM  Show Profile
Had to chim in on the size of things shrinking. Went to the store last night and that 1/2 gallon of ice cream is now 1.5 liters and it's still 6 bucks. That will definitley help my waistline
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  09:07:23 AM  Show Profile
Jenn, I have to say that a lot of things are like that, where they cut back on quantity for the same price! I have an old fudge recipe from my mom that calls for a 14.5 ounce can of evaporated milk and now the cans are 12 ounces and the sandwich rolls I buy used to have 12 rolls and now there are only 10 for the same price!

Linda, I agree with you that we can do it because we are farmgirls !!! Things are tight for my family too! My hubby is still working, but the guy he works for owns a lot of rentals and the water company here and there are quite a few people who are behind on their water bill or rent! So my hubby sometimes has less work because his boss isn't bringing in as much right now! Even though it doesn't help us, I am glad that my hubby's boss is a decent guy and will work with anyone who is trying to keep up! He doesn't just kick people out!!

Monica

farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  07:50:38 AM  Show Profile
Marcy, That's true. Just be sure not to feed the rabbits chicken feed. There is something in it that will kill them quickly. Talking from experience. My husband did this. The owner of the feed store said that it was a real quick way to kill rabbits.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  08:29:14 AM  Show Profile
My dad is a truck driver(owner operator = truck payments and fuel!) and he was gone for 2 weeks, and made in 14 days what he normally would make in 6. He got home on christmas eve, and is still home with nothing to do.

Here's a bigger one! His company had a contract to haul from the Amazon warehouse in Pennsylvania to the UPS hub in Richmond, VA. His first. He would have made 20K(NOT all profit) between Nov. 24th and christmas eve on a set schedule 6 days a week. He made the first run with a 40% full trailer(still got paid the same) then he sat for a few days, then he hauled a 30% full trailer, then he sat for 4 days. Then there was not enough Amazon merchandise, and the whole contract went down the drain.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  5:23:58 PM  Show Profile
Christine, that sounds like what happens to my husband. He does not own his truck, thank goodness, but he'll have a really good run planned with lots of good miles and have it pulled out from under him. That happens alot. He drives for Heartland. They're supposed to be building a huge terminal in Texas near a big plant they're hoping to get a good contract with soon. Hopefully that will all work out.

I'm so sorry about your dad's company contract fell through. It's hard to get your hopes up and get bad news like that. Hope things get better soon for him.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  10:34:20 AM  Show Profile
Ya know things are getting tight when....I finally learned to bake my own bread. Always meant to, had convinced myself that it was an art form and would be hardly worth the trouble, and didn't think my family would eat it. WHAT A LOAD OF HEWY! It was easy-peasy, made the house smell delicious, the bread looked and tasted marvelous, and the family loved it. I'll save myself at least $25/month on bread because I was buying organic bread trying to avoid the HFC. I think a little belt tightening might be good for me on many levels, ya know?

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  4:25:04 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean on the bread Celeste. I started baking my own as well a few months ago. My harshest critic (the boy child who HATES change of any kind) LOVES the home made bread.
Who'da thunk it?

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  5:07:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I can hardly stand to eat store bought bread anymore. I love making mini loaves (over sized rolls). They work really well for a quick sandwich or even toasting into crackers and such.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  12:16:36 PM  Show Profile
If I ever want to feel better about the economy I just turn on QVC (a shopping channel) and to watch that channel you would NEVER know that there was any problem at all! People are still buying like crazy there! LOL! (Not me though I might add)!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  3:27:04 PM  Show Profile
Check out the size of each sheet in a roll of toilet paper. What used to be 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 is now closer to 4 in both ways. The super duper triple rolls are what used to be in regular rolls. Somehow, 200 sheets do not last as long as 400. Even Costco and Sams brands have been downsized. I noticed it did not cover the roll holder anymore; had a roll in the washcloth basket for "emergency" and compared them.
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  5:32:53 PM  Show Profile
Ronna,
I thought that was just my imagination!

Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  08:10:26 AM  Show Profile
You are right!!!!
Almost everything is going to the dogs(teehee!)...Went to the store the other day toget a FEW things...and voila! $200.00,,,my DH and I looked at each other, adn both said "Time to starve and use no paper products"......

Farmgirl Sister #368

http:/froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Ya know things are getting tight when.. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page