True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  7:31:15 PM  Show Profile
well .. OTHER than THAT!

goodness! are any of you having as much 'trubble' as i am trying to figure out what GIFTS to get for the 'men' in your life as i am??? i swear .. i go through this every year!

when they have a hobby or want something for the 'farm' .. that is sometimes an easy one .. but .. if they don't particularly have a hobby .. and buy whatever they want for themselves ..

OH .. and i DON'T buy clothes for others ... don't ever ever ever want anyone pickin' and choosin' clothes for me! (o.k. .. a little 'side story' here from my ungrateful self!!) i think my husband, my ex-husband and my 'wife-in-law' were gittin' a little tired of seeing me in my 'uniform' .. consisting of my cut-off osh-kosh overalls .. summertime with my 'pale peeled-potato shade of white skinny little legs dangling from the frayed cut-off bottoms ... to my winter 'uniform' .. SAME cut-off osh koshes by goshes! only, worn with those stripedly leggins and leg-warmers .. with sandals with my toes hangin' out of 'em .. even in the snow! sooooooooooo .. they all decided to 'surprise' me and went on a shopping spree for me and bought me lots and lots of those shorts and long-pants and short-sleeved 'polo' shirts with that stupid little pony logo on them .. in sickly little pale pinks, greens and turquoise colors.

oh dear gawd! you'd think between TWO husbands .. they would know me by now!!! when i opened that big box of very 'not me' clothes .. i just WAILED ... and the 'demon-child' that lurks within .. caused my head to spin around at warp speed as i'm sure 'pea soup' spewed from my nostrils .. and i declared in a VERY LOUD voice .. that 'these pansy-(expletive deleted) little dinky dainties WILL BE turned into mighty fine dust rags by the first rays of sunlight on the morrow .. and proceeded to suggest: you MIGHT want to consider taking them back immediately .. if not sooner! (WELL .. needless to say .. they have never, ever attempted to buy me clothes ever, ever again!)

and so, i don't do the same (buy clothes for others).

whew! .. i think (after that little trip down memory lane) ... i am now back to 'somewhat sanity' and my dilemma!

between the ages of 20 to grandpa age (when you can give framed photos of the grandkids .. unless grampa happens to already have twenty trillion of those!)

and ohhhhhhh say ... between 20 and a hundred dollars! WHAT do men want?

gittin' desperate here! i need your halp!!! (oh .. and did i mention .. i don't 'do' clothes???) xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  7:49:06 PM  Show Profile
frannie, do you do stand up comedy? hahahaha!!!! this was such a hoot. My husband is awful to buy for so I can appreciate this. My dad is tough too but I scored on a gift for him that, I think, was really out of the box. When my dad came to visit me this summer he loved the fact that I had fresh cut flowers in every room and that I had my nieces pick and cut flowers daily..etc.. So, when a craft fair came through Spokane I bought him a beautiful birch tree vase that had a glass insert so he could start buying himself flowers, or better yet grow them himself!
My husband is a beer lover, soooo I am buying him a "how to brew your own brew" gig from a local brew master here in Spokane. Since he gave me a tractor for my 40th I'm also going to be looking into growing some of the ingredients..I think this will be a really fun venture we can enjoy together. He also moves wayyyy to quickly in life..scrambling from this meeting to the next so I found this game for him:"Go to the snail races" there are these 4 wind up snails and they race..Its hilarious because they're snails and you can just imagine how quickly they move. Last but not least, my husband and I use hankies instead of tissues so I embroidered his initials, mine and our childrens on some hankerchiefs for him.
How's this for you??
good luck and have fun!
Julia

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  7:55:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Frannie! I have an idea! Inspired by Mary Janes book....I went to the nearest lumber store, had them cut up all the parts for the " making a hammock" project, complete with all the correct holes, then went to the craft store...and found all of the roping. And now it's all bundled up to give to my honey! His very own "make a hammock for me" kit!
Judes

http://schoolstreet.typepad.com
www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Once upon a Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Ivy
Bartlett TN
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  8:06:05 PM  Show Profile
I am completely stumped too.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  8:22:37 PM  Show Profile
The only hint my husband has dropped is sort of a "champagne on a beer budget sort of thing"...cordless drill..a certain brand and type..not gonna happen this year..so I am pretty stumped too. I have done the hammock thing years ago..big hit!!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  9:09:47 PM  Show Profile
Julia, where is that place that sells the brewing kit?

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  9:22:11 PM  Show Profile
bobbi, the brew master place is on Division St. It called Jim's Brew...I think that's right I'll have to double check. I'd be happy to get the contact info for you..Julia

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

Barn Goddess
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Mary Jane
Henry Virginia
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  06:28:45 AM  Show Profile
If you're that stumped, do the easy thing. Give a donation to a charity in his name. Or I'll give a donation to our favorite charity in both our names. Problem solved.

The rooster crows, but the hen delivers the goods.
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  06:47:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I'm not at all stumped for my honey - he needs plenty of things! I could run out and spend oodles more than I already did... he needs work boots yet, and a watch, and there's always a new tool, or something for the truck... or the yard...

But my dad, and a few years ago, my grandpa... very hard. Dad has books I bought him that he never cracked open even. :(

Frannie, I ain't no fashion goddess neither. I have a very fashion-conscious friend who JUST informed me by email a few minutes ago, that bodysuits went out 10 years ago. (I had just inquired as to where I could get new ones, these are 5 years old and showing it) Now WHAT am I to wear under my favorite holey t-shirts? What's going to keep my modesty for me because all my jeans are the low-cut type (I cannot STAND pants that cinch at the waist - most of my job has me sitting, that's downright uncomfortable in high-waisted jeans!) and my t-shirts aren't always long enough when I'm sitting - so the bodysuits that snap at the bottom are perfect!

They're also great under sweaters.

Guess I'll just look for some plain leotards at some ballerina website... maybe I can add the snaps.

Edited by - greyghost on Dec 14 2005 06:48:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  08:34:24 AM  Show Profile
frannie you make me giggle. I don't buy gifts usually, especially for men. I usually make all me gifts and I don't really make much for the men. Usually chocolate covered nut clusters or spicey peanuts. I stick with treats.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  08:42:41 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I am getting my hubbie an electric aroma diffuser and a relaxing cd. After working outside in the cold all day he loves to relax in the tub and always wants to use oils, so I thought I would get him some of his favorite scents( jasmine) and his favorite music to soothe him as he soaks. Oh and of coarse, new socks ( he gets them every year)

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
-Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  09:10:11 AM  Show Profile
My oldest son sent me to a website to find him gifts that I think a lot of guys would like.

www.thinkgeek.com

My hubby needs a new electric razor this year. I just priced them and about fainted!!! Think I'll make him a shaving mug sized bar of soap and buy him a new regular razor and shaving brush.
I already finished recovering his grandfathers leather easy chair (finally, took me three years! ) for him.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  12:19:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Hey, you girls think YOU have problems?!! Try buying a gift for your 74 year old father who is gay!

Well.......now that I think about it, maybe I do have the easy one!!LOL... Gift certificate to Pottery Barn!

Edited by - Fabulous Farm Femmes on Dec 15 2005 12:21:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  05:20:37 AM  Show Profile
well girls that is a good question what to buy hubby, last yr. i bought mine a guitar, tacamine even, he took it back and got a different one. which i didn't mind as i know it is hard to suit a guitar guy, ha ha! my both son's too from a prev. marriage. they are guitar guys too, and they play in a band sooooo!!! there is no suiting in that catagory, just last week i bought my hubby some gell insouls, he seemed quite pleased, so he may get another pair for xmas tee he! remember that comercial. r u gellen? funny eh? anyways girls it isn't easy to find the right gift for the man in your life, i usually ask? what do u want for xmas hon?, name a few and i try to get what ever i can on the list. of course, i alway fib to him and tell him i couldn't find that!! whatever it was. and camaflauge it in the wrap, ha ha! good luck gals, with hubby's gift this yr. oh and any tools??? they have to be a certain kind too! my my! they say us girls are fussy! these men are just too cute tee hee! goda luv em! eh? jo!

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  6:37:02 PM  Show Profile
when i ask hank what he wants for christmas .. he says: "I have everything I want".

i've been thinking of a palm pilot, blackberry, i-pod .. (and tonight he says: it's so great being retired and living in the country .. no need for schedules or those blackberry palm pilot things") well pooop! there went that bright idea! he really does buy himself anything he wants ... he loves camping and back-packing, running, biking, rowing, sailing and all things 'outdoors' .. and has tons of stuff for all of those activities already! time's drawing nigh .. so .. back on the thinking cap goes! xo

last year was actually really easy cuz' i surprized him with two olde english sheep dog puppies on christmas eve!

i'm EASY to buy for .. cuz' i tell him EXACTLY what i want and where to get it. i found three more antique cast iron pans (yeah! i need more of those!) but i've wanted a dutch oven (with the lid you can heap coals on top of when cooking in a firepit). i finally found the one i wanted last weekend .. even bought it myself (with HIS credit card, of course along with a 'hoe cake' pan and a wonderful olde 'bean kettle' on spider legs! got some books i wanted .. and a wonderful olde framed print .. that used to hang right here in the cabins (bought it from the former owners of cabin creek farm) ... WITH hank's credit card, again .. of course! i know he will still surprize me with a little sumpthin' .. he always does .. (along as it isn't "clothes") .. soooo .. even though i know what santa is bringing me .. i'm a happy little puppy!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2005 :  06:34:10 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Last night, my husband says "honey, we need to talk. It's not a big deal, but we do need to talk about it."

I'm thinking, "oh no."

He says he has searched online for hours, for weeks, has been all over the mall in the next town, has spent so much time in a computer store that he found himself tailed by a plainclothes security guy, but he STILL has no idea what to get me for Christmas.

So now I had better start coming up with a few things a guy could find easily...
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2005 :  06:54:26 AM  Show Profile
what a sweetie pie that he has taken all that time .. and oh how funny that he even almost got 'busted' while so desperately shopping for you! (he's a keeper!)
if you don't need a 'surprize' ... maybe go shopping with him. (i do this all year .. or when we happen to be shopping ... i POINT and say .. "i'd sure like to have THIS". ha! it usually does not work .. cuz' honey hunk quickly forgets or we never get back to where my 'treasure' was. NOW ... "I" buy it .. and give it to him to 'hide away' for me! ... or maybe .. make a LIST and even tell him WHERE it can be purchased.

xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2005 :  08:27:30 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Well, I told him anything for the yard or garden would be welcome, I'd sure love a nice looking thermometer outside the window so I know what the current temp is before I walk out all bundled up tight for freezing temperatures to take the girls for a walk in 60 degree weather! I suggested where it could be purchased too. He says "No, I'm talking a GIFT. We can get a thermometer anytime." lol!

He says he was looking at massage chairs (I know he wants one) because of all the trouble with my back, but after what I have been through I find most of those full chairs frightening and the little ones that fit into an existing chair are just too hard, they bruise me & hit the back of my shoulder blades way too hard.

He's definitely frustrated - sure there are things I want, like a bucket with a lid to put the kitchen compost in, and a trash pail for the bathroom - but he doesn't consider those Christmas present material!
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  8:33:18 PM  Show Profile
I never know what to get my dh either. So I just let him pick out a computer game. He loves those things-I don't. So I don't pretend to know the right one to buy.
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  12:49:58 PM  Show Profile
soooooo did all the men folk get what they wanted for xmas?? lol!!! most of what we got we had to take it all back, what a bummer, but all in all we did ok! and had a real fun holiday!happy new year to u all, jo!

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  1:43:43 PM  Show Profile
My husband loves the gift he picked out for himself, a Carrhart jacket! It's the only gift so far that he's used that I got him! I've tried in the past tools.. ok that irked me, I paid handsomely for tools just for him to tell me that he needs to pick out his own! I have a great hubby... he bought me a Kitchenaide for my birthday and a digital camera for Christmas... from now on I'll take him to pick out his own.
I hope everyone had a great holiday!
Cynthia
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  5:43:46 PM  Show Profile
turns out that my man wanted exactly what i wanted: one of those 'palm' pilot thingies .. it's SUCH fun .. and keeps tons of information that we usually have in thick notebooks .. and i always have SEVERAL thick notebooks ... it has my calendar (such quick, fast, easy access .. so easy to input and delete info .. takes just seconds) .. notes, address book .. you can break it down in categories for instant retrieval .. instant calculator .. finances (to keep track of what i spend!) it can also connect to the internet so you can read your e-mails and 'surf the web' (such as maryjane's farm connection and e-bay, etc. .. we don't have that connection yet though .. you can save photos on it .. kinda' fun to put a photo on the same page as someone's address and phone number. lordy! technology is so amazing .. i didn't even have to think long about whether or not to get it .. cuz' it truly does simplify my life. and .. it fits in the 'palm' of your hand! actually, i ordered a small check-book size notebook to put it in cuz' that one holds all my 'cards', money, driver's lisence .. sooo .. i don't have to carry an extra wallet.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  03:30:08 AM  Show Profile
i know what u mean cynthia my hubby is the same, he said he has his own preference when it comes to tools, can't buy him any tools at all. oh well! i guess that's like clothes for me, no one can buy me clothes either,have to pick my own lol!

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  1:48:53 PM  Show Profile
well girls i found out my man wanted another woman ha, fancy that.??? he flew to coup. anyways i hope i never have another man in my life lol! heart broken but surviving jo~~~

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  2:25:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Jo. What a stupid man. I'm so sorry you're heartbroken . . . Just stick with us gals here for a while and we'll try to cheer you up. Sadly, KL
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  3:34:06 PM  Show Profile
Jo, this will only make you stronger! You don't need a man to be a great farmgirl! Email anytime if you need to chat! Learn something new, just enjoy being You. You can do it, and you will be fine! I'll be thinking of you!

love, hugs and strawberries to you, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic WHAT do men want!!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page