Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  10:18:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We all have been victims of the rude or disinterested employees that work just about everywhere- so I thought it would be fun to share some stories of great customer service!

My mom, my three older sisters, Nora and I all went shopping on Saturday. I was just along for the ride but we went to the Mall, Target, Toys R Us, and Wal-Mart. It was a long day!

When we were at Toys R Us, it was crowded! Lots of people everywhere but they had the place staffed to the brim! Pretty much ever aisle we went down there were one or two employees. If we looked lost, they would come up and ask if we needed help or could they help us find anything? It was really nice. Everyone had a smile on their face. The check out line was a bit slow because our checker was trying to help another checker, but that was okay too.

We also had a good customer experience at the Electronics department at Wal-Mart and we escaped the day without anyone being rude! It was one of the busiest shopping days and a blizzard out so it was nice not to have other people trying to give us a case of the grumps.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  10:51:46 AM  Show Profile
Alee~It's great to hear that there is still some wonderful customer service out there, especially as this time when it can be difficult.
Glad you had a good experience.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  11:26:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Alee, for posting this...please remember that the public is equally capable of ruining your day, and making your job miserable. That's why most retail clerks look so harried this time of year--nary a nice thing said all day to them, and each year the public appears to be worse, more impatient somehow. At times, you can actually hear the surprise in their voices when you say, "How are YOU doing today?" And if you actually wait for the answer, that's an added bonus.

My mother has worked retail full time for the last 15 years, and at age 60, says the last two Christmases have made her want to retire. If she only could, she would. I actually heard her say a few days ago that she hates the holidays anymore, simply because of people that come into their store. I find that really sad, that consumers can take away your joy, but I bet if we asked the family of the man run over on Thanksgiving day at the Walmart in Long Island, they'd heartily agree...

Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  11:32:35 AM  Show Profile
Sis and I drove north Saturday to pick up some show equip for DD. It was cold and rainy and yucky. We stopped at Sizzler for salads before heading home and the girl who waited on us was so nice and polite I was almost in shock. She kept our drinks full without asking us, she greeted us nicely asked if there was anything else we needed with our meal and she had a great attitude. Even wished us Merry Christmas as we left. All 'round a very pleasent surprise. That's the kind of service that gets my tip.

But, I think the very very best people I met were on our Fall trip to Vermont in Oct. Everyone we met was very chatty about where we were from were we on vacation were we having a good time. Gave great suggestions of places to see, things to do and good eateries. Now that's customer service.
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  12:01:31 PM  Show Profile
It not only makes my holiday to have help when I need it but to make sure that I thank them too. It is so nice to see the look of surprise when you say thank you. I think we forget and think this is only their job to help, but I can say a thank you goes a long way in making their day too. Please remember one crabby person does not ruin your holiday and thank them still.

Madelynne
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  4:01:21 PM  Show Profile

Most Vermonters are very friendly and like to chat and having manners is not considered old fashioned. After a few visits to California ,I had the feeling many people are too busy to chat or if you start visiting with them they think you are insane. I love chatting with sales people and folks at the post office. This is what makes life good!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  4:44:39 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I used to work at Toys-R-Us. The people on the floor were always dressing up and playing with the kids. They even made us cashiers wear like antlers for Christmas and we could dress for Halloween and just be silly. It was a fun place to work. But it was SO noisy! And I had to work the day after Thanksgiving that one year. I never ever did that before. I was always on the other end. I had to be there at 5 am. But I had fun. It was really a fun day. I was pooped when I left, though. They always had good cust. service.

I am glad you had a good day and with your family, too!

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  5:42:58 PM  Show Profile
It's the customers that are rude and mean this time of year. I don't know exactly the reason. If the "hot" toy or game is out of stock cause they waited too long to shop, it's surely not my fault. I'm in the toy dept of all mass merchandiser stores all year long and the customers are just fine until around Black Friday and some get so nasty it's all I can do to keep from being just as nasty back.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  6:05:19 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Im moving where you are--hehe! Glad you had lots of sunshine-y people in your day:)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  7:23:34 PM  Show Profile
Hey Alee - thanks for bringing this up. I have worked retail/grocery for the last 14 years and the holidays are always a challenge. They just seem to bring out the worst in people, on both sides of the counter. I have always said everyone should have to work at least one retail Christmas or grocery Thanksgiving, just for some empathy. I have been lucky in my experiences in customer service this year, everyone I've dealt with has been pleasant and fairly knowledgable. Quite nice, and glad to hear you had a good time at the Walmart, sometimes that gets quite hectic!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  8:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I went out shopping today to get some craft items and I kept thinking of all these stories we have been sharing here on this topic and on others. The Good, the bad, and the Ugly so to speak. Well I made it a choice to enter the store with a smile, ask the shopkeeper how her day is, thank her for her help and even chit chat a bit (it was really slow) and then wished her a happy holidays. I was buying things to make homemade soap and so when it is ready I am going to go in and give her a bar!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  8:13:08 PM  Show Profile
THat sounds like a great idea and I bet she will be so suprised!
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Great Customer Service! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page